Non-medical device accessory for a medical device

JoCam

Trusted Information Resource
Hi All,

Here's the scenario: Company A would like to sell a non-medical device weigh scales in Europe, that has been sub-contract manufactured by Company B (under Company A's direction) specifically to fix onto a class I medical device manufactured and supplied by Company C.

I have a number of questions: -

I'm assuming that because the weigh scales has been made specifically to fix onto the class I medical device, that it becomes an accessory to that medical device, and therefore becomes a medical device. Is this correct?

Will Company A need any documents from the manufacturer of the class I medical device (Company C) to be able to CE mark the accessory?

In order to CE mark the weigh scales as an accessory, as well as all that needs to be done for whichever class the weigh scales falls into, will Company A need to consider continued compliance with the standards applicable to the Class I medical device manufactured by Company C, and can this be done without informing/contacting Company C?

These are my starters for 10, I'm really having difficulty with this one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jo

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Nash27

Involved In Discussions
Company A’s product not necessarily be supplied as a medical device because it would fix into company C’s medical device. Company C will be responsible to address all aspects of weighing scale when fitted to class I medical device. I prefer term as a ‘component’ for weighing scale.

Company A does not need to supply any documents for the product being CE marked as it is the company C that is going to manufacture the product as class I device (that has weighing scale as a component or an accessory)

Being a manufacturer of medical device company C require to meet medical device requirements which they can satisfy themselves or ask help or dictate to company A for information such as weighing scale tolerances, calibration requirements, accuracy etc.

Company C would be questioned for the device compliance from regulator, company A would be considered as a supplier. So company C need to ensure that company A complies with the weighing balance requirements and has adequate control over their sub-contractor i.e. company B.

I hope this would help.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Hi All,

Here's the scenario: Company A would like to sell a non-medical device weigh scales in Europe, that has been sub-contract manufactured by Company B (under Company A's direction) specifically to fix onto a class I medical device manufactured and supplied by Company C.

I have a number of questions: -

I'm assuming that because the weigh scales has been made specifically to fix onto the class I medical device, that it becomes an accessory to that medical device, and therefore becomes a medical device. Is this correct?

Will Company A need any documents from the manufacturer of the class I medical device (Company C) to be able to CE mark the accessory?

In order to CE mark the weigh scales as an accessory, as well as all that needs to be done for whichever class the weigh scales falls into, will Company A need to consider continued compliance with the standards applicable to the Class I medical device manufactured by Company C, and can this be done without informing/contacting Company C?

These are my starters for 10, I'm really having difficulty with this one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Jo
Will the company C ever sell that weighing scale separately packaged and labelled for the patient or user to buy and use it along with the class 1 medical device ... ?

JoCam

Hi Nash27,

Thank you for your response, and I have some further questions;

Does Company C have to be informed of the weighing system being designed to fit on and off their class I medical device?

Company A has approached Company B to make the weigh scales to fit onto company C's medical device. Company C has had no input whatsoever, and will not be involved in the manufacture of the weigh scales. Should they have been involved, and would Company A be able to CE mark and sell or rent this weigh scales as the legal manufacturer?

Regards,

Jo

JoCam

Hi Somashekar,

The plan is that Company C will not be getting their hands on the weigh scales. This will be sub-contract manufactured by Company B for Company A, who will sell/rent it with the Class I medical device manufactured by Company C.

Jo

dgrainger

To be an "accessory" the product must enable the device manufactured by manufacturer C perform as intended. Manufacturer C must state that there is a requirement for the accessory.

‘accessory’ means an article which whilst not being a device is intended specifically by its manufacturer to be used together with a device to enable it to be used in accordance with the use of the device intended by the manufacturer of the device;

Nash27

Involved In Discussions
Hi Nash27,

Thank you for your response, and I have some further questions;

Does Company C have to be informed of the weighing system being designed to fit on and off their class I medical device?

Company A has approached Company B to make the weigh scales to fit onto company C's medical device. Company C has had no input whatsoever, and will not be involved in the manufacture of the weigh scales. Should they have been involved, and would Company A be able to CE mark and sell or rent this weigh scales as the legal manufacturer?

Regards,

Jo
It depends who intend to be manufacturer, if C is intended to put their name as a manufacturer then they need to meet compliance requirements of medical device including the weighing scale. Company C would not be necessarily needed to get involved in relation to weighing scale design activity, it can be done as part of the package (sales contract/ quality contract). However, they need to get the required design / compliance details from company A when required and such this should be stipulated in a quality agreement.

If company A intend to be legal manufacturer and supply the weighing scale as a component to fit the class I medical device then they need to register the weighing scale as a medical device. In this scenario company A need to comply with weighing scale requirements plus regulatory requirements (CE marking).

In context with company C:- Company C can buy or rent the weighing scale, still they are obliged to meet the weighing scale requirements because it is component of class I medical device.

Another alternative is selling as a procedure pack / system in that company A and company B can combine their products by individually registering products as a medical device and company C can sell the product as a manufacturer.

JoCam

Hi Nash27,

Company A holds stock of Company C's medical device (which is a bed by the way) as a part of their rental service, and it is as a result of customer feedback that Company A has worked with Company B to develop a weigh scales that can be fitted to it.

With this in mind, can Company A CE mark the scales for use with this bed without having to involve Company C?

Regards,

Jo

Last edited:

dgrainger

For what purpose is the weighing scale? I'm assuming that it is for weighing the patient but for what purpose?
If it isn't intended for a "diagnostic/clinical purpose", it doesn't sound like it is a device?

BTW It doesn't enable the functioning of a bed so can't be classified as an accessory.

Ronen E

Problem Solver
Staff member
BTW It doesn't enable the functioning of a bed so can't be classified as an accessory.
This is likely true however instead of a statement I would ask “what is the intended use of the bed, as declared / implied by C?” Some medical beds are quite sophisticated these days. Hypothetically the original bed could have a weighing element that doesn’t function properly / is inconvenient to use / whatever, and the renter might decide that they would benefit from a retrofit to replace it (to actually enable the original intended use).

This thread is an excellent demonstration why details from the OP matter, for us to be able to provide meaningful (and hopefully useful) answers.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Medical System with non-medical device and FCC US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
K Relying on mitigations implemented in non-medical device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
C Medical Device Stability Studies - Non-validated pilot production Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
Z Class 2 medical device - Process Validation - Test sterile or non-sterile units? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
A Medical Device Class 2A, non sterile bodyworn packaging requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
N Medical device non sterile packaging requirement CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
N Registering a Class 1 Sterile Medical Device - Currently selling a Non-Sterile 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
S Australian Registration of Non-CE Marked Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
C Biocompatibility Test for a Non Contact Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 11
I Label of a Medical Device sold in EU - Non translated information EU Medical Device Regulations 7
J 510k file requirements for non-sterile medical device accessories 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
N How to register a non notified Medical Device in India Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 5
J Non-Sterile Class 2 Medical Device Shelf Life Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
T Self Declaration for CE Class I, Non-Invasive Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 10
M Class II Medical Device Design Control Non Conformance 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
R Shipping Stability for Class III IVD (Non Sterile) Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
J Biocompatibility for Class I Non-Sterile Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
G Labeling Requirements - Medical Device is Rx in USA, non-Rx in EU 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
W Is a new 510(k) needed? Add Non Medical Device into a Medical Device App Other US Medical Device Regulations 13
A Launching a CE Mark Class I (non-measuring and non-sterilzed) Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Clinical or Non-Clinical Data in 510(k) Submission for a type II Medical Device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B FDA Requirements for Retaining Non-Conformance Tags (Medical Device Manufacturers) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Expiry Dates on a Non-Sterile Class 1 Medical Device (5 Year Shelf Life). Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
W Is a Non-Automatic Weighing Instrument a Medical Device? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
sagai Is service related software a non medical device? IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 4
A Need to register with CA for Class I (Non-Sterile and Non-Measuring) Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
C Safe Handling of Non-Device Refurbished Medical Equipment US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
arios Medical Device Labeling - Non-Pyrogenic Symbol Other Medical Device Related Standards 6
C Non-Invasive Medical Device Machines - Singapore Registration Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 4
E IEC/EN 60601 Testing and CE Marking for a Non Medical Device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 11
V CE Marking for Device under (Research and Education) Non Medical. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Non-Conformance Procedure FlowChart for a Medical Device company Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Single Multifunction device CE approval - Medical and non-medical EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Can a non-medical device manufacturer (mold making) be certified to ISO 13485? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Q A Non-Quality Culture at a medical device manufacturing company Career and Occupation Discussions 13
A Medical device with NON medical PC - USB galvanic insulation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
L Non-medical device is in the ISO 13485 audit scope? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
A Documentation required for launch of a non-sterile exempt class 1 medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
L Classification as medical device or non-medical device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Y Packaging validation for non-sterile Medical Equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
D Do purchasing controls apply to non-medical parts? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
S Service record requirements for Non-Serviceable Medical Devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Industry Labelling Standards - non medical Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
A Information on good laboratory practices (GLP) for the non-medical or food industry wanted Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Regs for non-medical product to be used in hospitals - 61326 CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Informational USFDA draft guidance – Technical Considerations for Non- Clinical Assessment of Medical Devices containing Nitinol Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Example for Accessories of "Annex XVI non-medical devices" and how to classify it now with respect ot EU MDR Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
F Functional connection between ME and non-medical equipment in different rooms IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
V Cleanliness/Bioburden for Non-Sterile Gas Path Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
Q IEC 60601 for Non-Medical Research Purpose Devices IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 7