Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement

Hi everyone!
My device is a reusable stereotaxic screw for temporary fixation to the bone for surgical navigation.
It is made of stainless steel 630 and is provided non-sterile.

After reading FDA guidance, I'm still very confused what sterilization validation is needed. Is the reprocessing validation enough? Or should I provide a large sample size to validate the initial sterilization (this is what I learned from the lab)?

Somehow in my opinion the reprocessing validation is enough for the device, and I hope to avoid unnecessary tests. But I'm new to the industry worrying about making mistakes.:bonk:
I would be grateful if anyone could help. :thanx:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

monoj mon

Quite Involved in Discussions
Or should I provide a large sample size to validate the initial sterilization
If your device is expected to be sterilized by the user then you will need to provide a validated method of sterilization in the IFU. And for that you will need to validate the sterilization method first hand, with appropriate amount of sample size.
I hope to avoid unnecessary tests
I am afraid you cannot avoid it. It's your device, and you cannot expect the user to know how to sterilize the device without reading a single word about it in the IFU.

With our re-usable devices we usually provide multiple (if possible) validated sterilization methods which are readily available at the hospital setting as well as multiple re-processing methods so that users have the liberty to choose any one of it and still remain confident on the sterility of the device.

planB

Super Moderator
CreamXX,

for devices distributed in the US, reprocessing consists of at least the two processes cleaning and sterilisation. You are expected to validated each of these two processes and associated labelled instructions independently.

Being new to the industry, you may want to seek professional support, because these validation activities might be quite complex. There are consultants as well as certified and accredited test houses around that support you with putting together a sound validation protocol.

Hope this helps,

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L "Shelf-Life" Class I Non-Sterile Products Expiration Date? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
M Changing Investigational Device from Non-Sterile to Sterile - what are the implications? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
L Water requirement for Non-sterile topical OTCs Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
W Non Sterile Medical Device Environmental Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
K CE Marking Class 1 (Non sterile) medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
A FDA guidance on non-sterile Medical Device Packaging Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
B Bioburden monitoring for surgical instrument provided non-sterile EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Y Packaging validation for non-sterile Medical Equipment Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
A Single use non-sterile syringe used in the oral cavity - Laboratory test advice US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 7
D Standard guide for shelf life determination of non sterile component with degradation materials Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M MDR 2017/745 sterile and non-sterile labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 12
T No Defined Shelf Life/Expiration Date - Disposable single-use, non-invasive, non-sterile Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
Z Class 2 medical device - Process Validation - Test sterile or non-sterile units? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 4
S Package performance testing for non-sterile Hydrogels US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
E Cleaning Validation Process of Non-Sterile Implants and Instruments Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
R Use of the "Non-Sterile" Icon - ISO7000-2609 EU Medical Device Regulations 4
A Medical Device Class 2A, non sterile bodyworn packaging requirements CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
N Medical device non sterile packaging requirement CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
F Bioburden Testing requirements for Non-Sterile Dental Products EU Medical Device Regulations 6
N Registering a Class 1 Sterile Medical Device - Currently selling a Non-Sterile 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
V Cleanliness/Bioburden for Non-Sterile Gas Path Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
Y Shelf Life of Non-Sterile Disposable Drug Inhaler 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
shimonv Packaging Validation for Non-Sterile Package EU Medical Device Regulations 6
I Use of the Non-Sterile Symbol (EN980/ISO7000/ISO15223-1) Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
J 510k file requirements for non-sterile medical device accessories 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6
J Non-Sterile Class 2 Medical Device Shelf Life Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
O Bioburden Testing - Non Sterile Product / Tapes - ISO 11737-1 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 9
R Shipping Stability for Class III IVD (Non Sterile) Medical Device Other Medical Device Related Standards 7
J Biocompatibility for Class I Non-Sterile Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Is Pyrogen testing done on non sterile units? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 13
A Cleaning instructions for our non sterile, single use products EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R How to go about package validation on a class II, non-sterile device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 4
D Packaging Addition - Non-sterile barrier to protect the whole package 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
M Contract Manufacturer of a Non-Invasive, Non-Sterile Device and FDA Registration US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Q Expiry Dates on a Non-Sterile Class 1 Medical Device (5 Year Shelf Life). Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 11
A Need to register with CA for Class I (Non-Sterile and Non-Measuring) Medical Device EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Packaging Requirements for Non-Sterile Class II Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 11
B Labeling of a Non-Sterile Component that connects to a Sterile System via a Cable 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
M Class I non-sterile, non-measuring: Requirements fulfiled? EU Medical Device Regulations 4
J Requirements for Own Branding Class I Non-Sterile Device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P ETO Sterilisation of Single Use Part supplied in Non-Sterile State EU Medical Device Regulations 12
C Cleanliness Specifications that apply to non-sterile medical devices ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
K Requirements for Exporting from US to EU - Class I MD non-sterile, non-measuring EU Medical Device Regulations 7
C CE Marking for Sterile and Non-sterile device - Surgical blades EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C ISO 11737 - Bioburden testing for non-sterile products Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 10
J Medical Devices: Initial Design - Sterile or Non-sterile Design and Development of Products and Processes 10
I Non-sterile device - Rapid Test Kits - ISO 14644 Clean Room required? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
A Non-sterile liquid bandage as Class 1 - Anyone concur or disagree? EU Medical Device Regulations 17
A Documentation required for launch of a non-sterile exempt class 1 medical device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
B Non-sterile - Does anyone know of a universal symbol? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5