Nonconformance, Corrective and Preventive Action Procedure(s)?

C

CATERAF

Hi,

I'm currently trying to get my company ready for certification, but having had no experience with anything QA-related before, i'm easily confused. :confused:

I have read through dozens of posts about combining corrective and preventive procedures. No problem there - i can see how they link.

My question is about nonconformance, corrective AND preventive action.
Can you combine all three into one procedure?

For example, you have a nonconformance, then you need to correct for that and then you put systems in place that prevent the nonconformance from reoccuring. Is it therefore suitable to combine all three procedures into the one?

At the same time though can corrective and preventive actions stem from anything other than a nonconformance...?? I had thought they could, but then everytime I think about a reason for 'correcting' something, it's because something didn't conform. i.e., design nonconformance, product nonconformance, audit nonconformance, etc. Also, you would only put a preventive system in place to *stop* a problem occurring. Wouldn't this then have stemmed from knowledge of a problem, thereby stemming from a nonconformance somewhere along the line?

I suppose this all links together to form the question of; doesn't nonconformance tie in with corrective and preventive actions and therefore all can be whacked in together in the same procedure??

Any advice or suggestions are very much appreciated!

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
K

krichmond0306

Hi,

I'm currently trying to get my company ready for certification, but having had no experience with anything QA-related before, i'm easily confused. :confused:

I have read through dozens of posts about combining corrective and preventive procedures. No problem there - i can see how they link.

For example, you have a nonconformance, then you need to correct for that and then you put systems in place that prevent the nonconformance from reoccuring. Is it therefore suitable to combine all three procedures into the one?

At the same time though can corrective and preventive actions stem from anything other than a nonconformance...?? I had thought they could, but then everytime I think about a reason for 'correcting' something, it's because something didn't conform. i.e., design nonconformance, product nonconformance, audit nonconformance, etc. Also, you would only put a preventive system in place to *stop* a problem occurring. Wouldn't this then have stemmed from knowledge of a problem, thereby stemming from a nonconformance somewhere along the line?

I suppose this all links together to form the question of; doesn't nonconformance tie in with corrective and preventive actions and therefore all can be whacked in together in the same procedure??

I'm not sure how helpful my advice or thoughts would be but in my opinion NCs, CAs and PAs should ALWAYS be combined into one system, Root Cause Analysis. The problem I have where I work is that we are good at identifying NCs and correcting them but often fail to follow up with PAs. Which negates all the CA work you did. All three are components of a a Root Cause Analysis Process and for it to be complete and successful you can not excluding any of them.

Again that is my opinion, I definitely not an expert.

C

CATERAF

Thanks for your responses!

...in my opinion NCs, CAs and PAs should ALWAYS be combined into one system, Root Cause Analysis. The problem I have where I work is that we are good at identifying NCs and correcting them but often fail to follow up with PAs. Which negates all the CA work you did. All three are components of a a Root Cause Analysis Process and for it to be complete and successful you can not excluding any of them.
I agree Krichmond0306 - how can you have CA without the NC? It just struck me that all the terminology says CAPA but there isn't much about the actual 'nonconformance' procedure. I hadn't heard it termed 'Root Cause Analysis' but after looking it up that's pretty much what it is!

I just wondered if other companies often included them together or separately and for what reason?

Also, I came across a certified company who had combined all three so I know that it *can* be done, but whether that is advisable is a different matter...

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
I have lots of experience with QA, but I'm also easily confused, so don't worry about it. :D

How or whether you combine these things is a matter of preference. ISO 9001 expects you to differentiate between CA and PA, with the former being the result of a nonconformity and the latter being intended to prevent nonconformity before it happens. The confusing part is that CA includes PA--preventing recurrence--but you're not allowed to count it as PA. You can apply the same actions to other products or processes and count that as PA, however.

You should worry less about the form of the documentation and more about dealing conscientiously with nonconforming things and doing what you can to prevent those things from happening in the first place.

qusys

Trusted Information Resource
Hi,

I do not understand you are speaking about three procedures. Usually they are two that I have seen combined but clear in their different scope: corrective actions and preventive actions.
Consider that there is also the control of non conforming product but the scope is different from the two mentioned.
All of three shall be documented as per ISO 9001 requirements.:bigwave:

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Here's the stance that I've taken in the past...

A Nonconformance is a discrepancy. It is typically associated with either Product or Process.

The documented procedure for Nonconformances included initiating the Nonconformance form and the following:
  • Triggers for identifying Product-related nonconformances (e.g., physical deformities, chemical composition deviations, etc.)
  • Triggers for identifying Process-related nonconformances (e.g., unscheduled downtime > XX minutes, etc.)
  • Options for addressing Product-related nonconfomrances - rework, scrap, downgrade, etc.
  • Options for addressing Process-related nonconformances (e.g., correction, corrective action)

At this point, the procedure for Corrective Action would be linked in - referencing our Nonconformance form and completing the Corrective Action (e.g., root cause, action plan, verification plan) portions.

Our Preventive Action procedure linked into data analysis, trend review, planning, Opportunities for Improvement, 5S and several other aspects that were in place to prevent nonconformances (both product and process) from occurring.

R

RMain

Three seperate procedures. Nonconformance captures the day to day bumps in the road (Usually Product/Methods Related) and offers a methodolgy to address the issue with a disposition, and confirm the dispositions effectiveness. Corrective action is to address trends of nonconformances you do not have to create a Corrective Action for every Nonconformance. Under Special incidences a Corrective Action may be raised to address a System Nonconformance or a Serious /Costly (Time/Cost/Customer) Incident a one off as opposted to a trend. The Preventive Action addresses a forseable concern before it becomes a Nonconcormace / Trend and/or System breakdown. Three seperate procedure for three seperate conditions. Don't be fooled into thinking that confirming the effectivity / result of a nonconformance's disposition is a corrective action because it may have been effective for this perticular incident but if it continues in the future there is reason to raise a Corrective Action based on a trend of incidents unrelated because they occured at different times over the year.

SATHYABALARAMAN

Involved In Discussions
I hope everyone understands what is CA & PA. Let me give an example.

Problem: Headache

Correction: Taking a tablet / Applying Vicks or any balm to stop the ache. (Immediate action)

CA: Going to doctor, examine, Diagnosis of the disease & taking treatment so that headache will not reoccur.

PA: You cannot take PA for head ache, coz it already occurred, whatever action taken would be CA.

Then PA is like Vaccination. When there is any spread of disease in 1 place/country, we take vaccination to avoid it before it hits our place.

Apply the same theory to workplace.

K

krichmond0306

I hope everyone understands what is CA & PA. Let me give an example.

Problem: Headache

Correction: Taking a tablet / Applying Vicks or any balm to stop the ache. (Immediate action)

CA: Going to doctor, examine, Diagnosis of the disease & taking treatment so that headache will not reoccur.

PA: You cannot take PA for head ache, coz it already occurred, whatever action taken would be CA.

Then PA is like Vaccination. When there is any spread of disease in 1 place/country, we take vaccination to avoid it before it hits our place.

Apply the same theory to workplace.
Good analogy, I go back to my experience with 8D, which I thought was a great tool because it captured it all in one report structure (NC reporting, containment/corrective actions, and how it was going to be prevented in the future). We treating the 8D report as a formal document and if any of the "D"s were not done it could not be closed out either internally or externally.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Nonconformance and Corrective Actions vs. Preventive Action - Problem Supplier Nonconformance and Corrective Action 24
M Can this Nonconformance have suitable CAPA (Corrective and Preventive Action) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
P Examples of Nonconformance, Corrective Action Requests, and Root Cause Analysis Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
C Recurring Nonconformance - Missing Deadline for Closing a Corrective Action Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 14
M Corrective Action for a Recurring Nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 16
D Supplier Nonconformance & Corrective Actions Procedures Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
somashekar About NC (Nonconformance) Type and days for CA (Corrective Action) Response... ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D Having trouble with corrective action on external audit nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
D Corrective Action - AS9100 Approved Supplier List Audit Nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
N NCR (Nonconformance Report) Combined with Corrective Action Report? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
P Nonconformance on the Corrective Action Process - Audit Finding Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
M Nonconformance & Corrective Action Database (Implementation issue) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 3
A Nonconformance for not closing an NC (Corrective Action) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
D NC (Nonconformance) on an Auditors CAR (Corrective Action Request)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
L Is it required to write a formal corrective action on any nonconformance? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 29
Marc --> Related Forum - Nonconformance and Corrective Action Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 0
Marc --> Related Forum - Nonconformance and Corrective Action Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 0
F New Nonconformance Findings During Corrective Actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
F Corrective Action and Preventative Action cover Control of Nonconformance? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
C Alternate Terms for NonConformance, Internal Audits, Corrective and Preventative ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 32
K Repetitive Nonconformance (Struggling with Corrective Action Tools) - Need Help! Nonconformance and Corrective Action 14
W List of NCR (NonConformance Report) Defect Cause & Corrective Action Codes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 18
C New company looking for help with nonconformance reports and corrective actions Nonconformance and Corrective Action 26
S Nonconformance Corrective Action Software - Has anyone researched? Quality Assurance and Compliance Software Tools and Solutions 2
K Does every Nonconformance Require a Corrective Action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
L What Is 8-D Problem Solving for Nonconformance and Corrective Actions? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
W Does every nonconformance require a corrective action? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
R Root Cause Analysis - Nonconformance and Corrective Action - 8D - Root Cause Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
N Nadcap AC7101/2 Rev. E Section 3.2 - Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M ISO 9001 Major Nonconformance Internal Audit Schedule/COVID-19 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
T Internal Nonconformance procedure thoughts (AS9100) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
C NCR (Nonconformance System) Software Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
L How to deal with an ISO 13485 Supplier Audit nonconformance ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 17
E When to generate a nonconformance report ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
K Counterfeit parts prevention - Audit Nonconformance - AS9100 8.2.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 25
qualprod When to write up a nonconformance and require a NCR - We produce labels ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
PhilM Nonconformance report, Customer complaint investigations and RMAs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
M Medical Device Directive - Seeking common nonconformance write up scenarios CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
CPhelan Nonconformance opened as incorrect expiration date placed on received product. Escalate to CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
qualprod Ineffective follow up of people performance - Audit Nonconformance ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
Q AS9120 7.5.3.2 Control of Documented Information - Audit Nonconformance AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 20
qualprod Criteria to raise a Nonconformance based on KPI values ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 39
L AS9100 D- Handling Nonconformance Documentation for an organization that outsources most of the work. AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
G Timing allowed by IATF to close a Remote Site Minor Nonconformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
R Visually impacting graphics for Nonconformance status metrics for Management Report Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
J ISO 13485 Audit Nonconformance written against 6.3 Infrastructure ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 25
PastorBee13 IATF 16949 Audit Nonconformance Responses per 5.1.1.2 - Format IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11
A What ISO 9001:2015 clause could be used to write nonconformance for not updating licensed driver list? General Auditing Discussions 8
S Nonconformance to a Note in ISO13485 clause 6.2 Human Resources Effectiveness ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
A API Spec Q1 9th Edition - 12 month Internal Audit Schedule Audit Nonconformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10