Nonconforming Output vs. Nonconformity vs. Nonconforming Product

kjoberk

Involved In Discussions
I'm trying to gain some insight.

Currently certified to AS9110B (C is coming up this new year for us).

My Management Rep and I are having a disagreement on the terms.

In 9110B, it states in 8.3 that we have to have control of Nonconforming Product...then in 8.5.2 talks about Corrective Actions to eliminate the cause of nonconformities to prevent recurrence.

In 9110C, 8.7 talks about control of Nonconforming Outputs (so any product or service internally, received from external providers, or noticed by a customer) and then goes on to discuss in 10.2 Nonconformity and Corrective Action.

My management rep has stated that we cannot use NCRs for anything that is not a nonconforming product...but we do. We use them as like...a "pre CA" if you will.

Will that change once we move over to Rev. C? It appears that ANY nonconformity (process, product, etc) will be considered a nonconformity.

Do I have this right?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Golfman25

Trusted Information Resource
We are auto, not aerospace but I think you guys are arguing distinctions without a difference. Why not use an NCR for anything not conforming? Makes perfect sense to me.

kjoberk

Involved In Discussions
We are auto, not aerospace but I think you guys are arguing distinctions without a difference. Why not use an NCR for anything not conforming? Makes perfect sense to me.
That's my opinion -- my management rep is just fighting me on it because that's "not what the standard says"....to be fair to him, I don't think he realizes that it's changing with out next upgrade in rev. We're currently using it exactly as you describe...for any nonconformances, to include processes, products, services, etc.

I'm going to have a conversation with him today about it because to me it makes perfect sense...and I think I'll suggest that we use the CAPA system for anything that will change our quality manual or procedures....that makes the most sense to me.

Edit: I had a conversation about it with my management rep this morning and he's still not on board with what I'm trying to get him to understand...I'm not sure how to explain to him that it's unnecessary to try to label all of these different things. I think maybe we just need a new work to call everything -- instead of NCR and CAPA and Nonconforming Output, we need Nonconforming Products/Services and literally everything else. Maybe we'll just call them Goose Eggs. :frust:

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Control of Nonconforming Product Output (Components Parts) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
Sravan Manchikanti How to interpret '8.3 Control of nonconforming product' for SaMD device while implementing ISO 13485 & MDSAP ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
M Nonconforming parts accepted by operator with intention Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 31
S Effective nonconforming process for AS9100 8.7 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6
A ISO 13485 - Clause 8.3.3 appropriate actions in response to nonconforming product ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S How do you record your Nonconforming product? Batch production of staged processes Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
C Manufacturing overages & nonconforming material documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T Nonconforming product at customer detected by a routine inspection by field service Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
Juby Tan Action on Customer Replacement (Nonconforming Product - ISO 9001) Customer Complaints 2
S ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.7 Control of Nonconforming Outputs ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 19
J Control of nonconforming product issue (AS91000) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J Nonconforming product procedures SOP help :) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
K IATF 16949 Cl. 8.7.1.7 - Scrapped nonconforming product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Q Nonconforming procedure and ISO 9001-2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Does nonconforming product include reagents/disposables? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J AS9100 Cl. 8.7 - Control of Nonconforming Outputs - Counterfeit Parts AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
J Document Control Newbie - Control of Nonconforming / Returns Log AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
T Does nonconforming product disposition include parts bought from the supplier? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 15
J IATF 16949 Clause 8.7.1.7 Nonconforming Product Disposition - Scrap Rendered Unusable IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 64
J IATF 16949 Clause 8.7.1.7 Nonconforming Product Disposition Compliance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 38
J Double-Retest of Nonconforming Material to Accept the Material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
L Containment and Control of Nonconforming Product(s) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
T Quarantine Zone - Control of Nonconforming Product Manufacturing and Related Processes 17
W Nonconforming product AS9100C, 8.3 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
D Control of Nonconforming product (5.10 API Q1) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
T 8.3 ISO 9001:2008 Nonconforming product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
R Customer Complaint/Nonconforming Product Inquiry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
S Seeking examples of Nonconforming Materials Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
Z Scrap Process - They weren't Physically (Dimensionally) Nonconforming Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
B Nonconforming Parts found by our Service Department Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
S Bucket list of all Metrics around Nonconforming Materials Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
L Criteria for raising a Nonconforming Material Report Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
E Identification of Nonconforming Products in a Coil and Strip Steel Plant Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
Q When to use a Nonconforming Material Report Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
Q Do cut-in ECOs trigger "control of nonconforming product" procedure? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Beta Testing FDA Regulated Medical Device Software vs. Nonconforming product? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
J Customer found Nonconforming Product Metrics ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Product Development and Prototyping Company - Nonconforming material or not? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
P ISO9001 in Quality Control Department - Control of Nonconforming Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
somashekar Can Process Deviation be handled under control of Nonconforming Product? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
F Nonconforming Product Procedure vs. Control of Documents ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
R When is nonconforming product NOT nonconforming? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
C Re-Verification of Nonconforming Product prior to closing our DMR AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
M Is it necessary to record all nonconforming products? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
M 8.3 Control of Nonconforming Product - Request for clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
R Possible Actions for Nonconforming Product besides issuing NC Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
M How to Control Nonconforming Product? TS 16949 Clause 8.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
Fender1 NCP (Nonconforming Product) Containment - 3 Levels? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
N Boundary of Clause 8.3 - Control of Nonconforming Product ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
Z If this is a Nonconforming Product (Service) under clause 8.3? How do we handle it? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4