Nonconforming Product & Corrective / Preventive Action

Douglas E. Purdy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Having been unemployed (other than contract jobs here & there) for the past 20 months, I was wondering about the current interpretation and/or relationship between 8.3, 8.5.2, and 8.5.3. Being raised on MIL-C-1520 (If memory serves me correctly) the old military standard for Corrective Action System, I always tried identifying root cause to nonconforming product so corrective action to eliminate the cause was performed on each nonconformance. That is the way I wrote systems to ISO-9000:1994.

Is this the requirement for ISO-9001:2000? I only have an unofficial copy of the standard and have not been through a 2000 registration audit yet. The way I read the unofficial copy, I could address the corrective/preventive actions for nonconforming product on a 80/20 Rule basis, instead of 100% basis. Would that be acceptable to the current standard?

Your help is Greatly Appreciated!

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
The way I read the unofficial copy, I could address the corrective/preventive actions for nonconforming product on a 80/20 Rule basis, instead of 100% basis. Would that be acceptable to the current standard?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. Could you explain a bit?

C

Craig H.

The way our registrar explained it to me, corrective action also includes resolving the problem that caused the nonconformance.

Preventive action, as they are defining it, is identifying and removing potential problem areas before trouble occurs.

Has anyone else heard this?

C

Craig H.

Thanks, Jim.

Am I wrong in thinking that there was a change, then? I might be confused with our Crosby training we were doing about the same time we started ISO 9002:1994.

I realize that some might find this a (boring) matter of semantics (sorry), but previously did "corrective action" include the fix for the current problem item, and "preventive action" include the permanant solution that addressed the root cause?

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
Marc,

I am wanting to know if ISO-9001:2000 requires corrective action (8.5.2) for all nonconforming product (8.3) (e.g., for each Nonconforming Material Report the cause has to be investigated and action to eliminate the cause implemented), or is it acceptable to monitor incidents of nonconforming product and when 80% of the incidents can be attributed to 20% of the causes then corrective action would be initiated? _If the latter is acceptable, then I would not have to address corrective action for every nonconforming incident.

Does that clear up your uncertainty? _I hope so!

Thanks,

Douglas E. Purdy
Each nonconformance does not require a full blown corrective action, if that is what you are actually asking. It's like Mil-STD-1520C (27 June 1986). The system has to exist and it has to work, but not every nonconformance requires a full blown investigation. From 1520, read clauses 4.1, 4.3, 4.4, 4.6 (though you do not have to have a 'board' per se), 5.1 through the rest of the spec. Pay close attention to 5.7.3 (Recurring Nonconformances). Technically 1520 requires more than ISO 9001 ever did with respect to topic.

You could use an 80-20 system. You can use any system you want to devise to rate and decide what to act on. The rating does not have to be documented but you should be ready to talk about how you prioritize what you do act on. I usually have clients reference their data feedback from their nonconformance and corrective action systems as guidance with respect to what they act on and why and what they do NOT act on and why that is.

Top Bottom