Nonconformities and CAPA

Hello,

In my company, we are reviewing our QMS, and as part of it, I have been asked to review our Nonconformity and CAPA Process.

We work in compliance with ISO 13485 and the 21 CFR 820.

The habit in the company is to escalate every NC to CAPA with the result that we are unable to manage the amount of CAPA.

I have suggested the Quality Manager to design the Nonconformance and CAPA Process based on the risk and to take a decision based on the risk on whether or not an NC should be escalated to a CAPA, but he said that this is not in conformance with the ISO standard. I am confused in my previous company we certainly didn't raise a CAPA for each NC. Could you please share your experience?

Thanks for your help in advance

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Trusted Information Resource
escalate every NC to CAPA with the result that we are unable to manage the amount of CAPA
...curiosity... how many NC's do you have per day/week/month?

We averaged 2 per quarter. I doubt that would have overwhelmed anything...

Tagin

I have suggested the Quality Manager to design the Nonconformance and CAPA Process based on the risk and to take a decision based on the risk on whether or not an NC should be escalated to a CAPA, but he said that this is not in conformance with the ISO standard. I am confused in my previous company we certainly didn't raise a CAPA for each NC. Could you please share your experience?
I'd say you are correct. Specifically, the decision process you are citing is:
8.5.2c - evaluating the need for action to ensure that nonconformities do not recur;
You could argue that by skipping that step, your Quality Manager is not conforming to the ISO standard. :)

Hello,

In my company, we are reviewing our QMS, and as part of it, I have been asked to review our Nonconformity and CAPA Process.

We work in compliance with ISO 13485 and the 21 CFR 820.

The habit in the company is to escalate every NC to CAPA with the result that we are unable to manage the amount of CAPA.

Thanks for your help in advance
ire88.... You are correct.
See that the ISO 13485 standard tell you .. The evaluation of nonconformity shall include a determination of the need for an investigation (CAPA process)
For this determination, you will use the risk based decision. The the CAPA process will take on , which is a subsequent process.
You have to determine if you want to put the NC through the CAPA process based on the data analysis of the NC, the education, experience of the organization.

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
...curiosity... how many NC's do you have per day/week/month?

We averaged 2 per quarter. I doubt that would have overwhelmed anything...

2 nonconformances per quarter???? As in per 3 months? :oops: IMO that is remarkably low.

Lemme just say that in over 30 years working in manufacturing I have never worked for a company that was within an order of magnitude of that number, nor can I think of a company I ever worked with (i.e. supplier) that was anywhere near that low.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
Looking at the wording above from others, let me re-word mine to match:

We averaged 2 NC's that were rated significant enough to start a CA...not including waivers where it was considered before-the-fact whether a digression from process was worthwhile.

QuinnM

Involved In Discussions
Hi ire88,

In our CAPA process, for all CAPA opened we perform a risk analysis during the request phase. If the risk is low, then the CAPA is allowed to be closed with corrections as needed. In this event we do not proceed to the investigation of determine root cause, establishing corrective actions, or performing an effectiveness check. We verify the correction is completed and the CAPA is closed when the risk is determined to be low.

Quinn

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Benchmarking and tracking Nonconformities - Template? Benchmarking 1
Q Choosing Nonconformities to Report ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
CPhelan Internal audit - Combine similar nonconformities in one or keep separate? Internal Auditing 6
E ISO 9001:2015 Clause 10.2.2 - Evidence of all nonconformities and actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M CB and Internal auditors most common nonconformities against AS9100D AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 16
Q Where to include other types of Nonconformities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Do all findings (nonconformities) in an internal audit require a corrective action? Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 55
B The Odds of Recurrence of Nonconformities Brain Teasers and Puzzles 6
K Imposition of penalty to an employee or team for repetitive nonconformities General Auditing Discussions 22
armani How to Document Third-Party Audit Nonconformities related to Legislation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Who is ACTUALLY measuring your parts for nonconformities? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
S Should an auditor document potential nonconformities in the audit report? General Auditing Discussions 41
J Need help identifying nonconformities in internal audits Internal Auditing 2
A Identifying trends in QMS Nonconformities Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
J Auditee offered help with anything in nonconformities Internal Auditing 16
W Are all Customer Complaints considered as Nonconformities? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
P Two Questions about Nonconformity - Number of Minor Nonconformities ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
L ISO 17025 4.12: "...potential sources of nonconformities...shall be identified." ISO 17025 related Discussions 21
B AS9100C Sampling Plans - When samples have known nonconformities Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
M Nonconformities on TS16949 recertification audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 14
J Calculating Control Limits for nonconformities - 1000 accounting transactions per day Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
B AS9100 Nonconformities during certification audit - Impact on certification Registrars and Notified Bodies 8
J Nonconformities against General clauses in ISO 9001:2000 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
F Question about nonconformities during TS16949 audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
S Format for reporting nonconformities identified during an audit Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 14
Douglas E. Purdy Maintain records of the "Nature of Nonconformities" - ISO 9001 Clause 8.3 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Is "0 Nonconformities" standard in a TS 16949 audit? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 12
H Defects and Nonconformities - Railroad maintenance company Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
D The meaning of the term CAPA ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
A CAPA approach feedback 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
M Non conformance/complaint and CAPA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
H CAPA effectiveness verification methods for different types of CA Nonconformance and Corrective Action 10
Azaarus Help with CAPA for an IATF finding regarding inspection documentation IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
B FDA requirement for CAPA Signoff ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
F NCMRs and its relation to CAPA Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
C Projects in the CAPA system Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 6
S EU MDR CAPA - GAP Assessment on CAPA SOPs EU Medical Device Regulations 1
R Non conformance (NC) or Corrective & Preventive action (CAPA) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
C ISO 13485 :2016 - CAPA - Does every CAPA need to be checked by regulations? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
B Do you use paper or web-based templates for CAPA processes? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
G Any good examples of CAPA forms that include a risk based approach? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
B CAPA - Extensions vs Overdue Nonconformance and Corrective Action 11
G New CAPA Work Flow with Revised 8D Approach Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 35
Y Blank Fields on CAPA Form Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 21
B Corrective and Preventive Action (CAPA) A Key Process of the Quality Management System Dec 17... Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
V CAPA effectiveness check Nonconformance and Corrective Action 3
Ed Panek CAPA against Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
CPhelan Nonconformance opened as incorrect expiration date placed on received product. Escalate to CAPA? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 4
N How to monitor the effectiveness of the CAPA system ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
G Differences - Nonconformances vs CAPA, Corrections vs Corrective Actions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 22