Normal Distribution Test for Cpk (Minitab)

THEERANART

Starting to get Involved
Hi all,
I have a question .If I have a 5 sub group to calculate Cpk . I start to test normality in Minitab , result is Non-normal , However I send this data to test ANAVA and I obtain residuals colump . I brings this to test normality found that residual data are normal distribution . I summarize that data set are normal , so I choose Cpk by normal , however i compare with Cpk , it is differntal . How I will judgement my data is normal or not .
This is serious for me becuase if I have wrong judge normal type . it will affect to Cpk value .

Thank a lot for youe recommend.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Do not get overly concerned about the formal normality test. The statistical Normality tests become more and more sensitive as your sample size increases. After a point, it is virtually guaranteed to reject any distribution. At 160 data points you are in that zone.

So, in your situation I would first assess the state of control. Your data are in control. Second, I would "visually" assess normality, but not look at the AD test. Use the old fashioned "fat pencil" approach. If you lay a fat pencil over the line, does it hide the data points? Does the histogram appear normal? In both cases, your data appears fine.

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
Just a few more thoughts:
  • Cpk is calculated from the subgroup variation, so it will not be affected by the overall normality (or lack thereof). Ppk would be affected.
  • If you were to calculate the confidence intervals for Cpk using both approaches, I suspect that you would find that they overlap by a large margin.

THEERANART

Starting to get Involved
Thank you sir.
That mean I am no need to test residual again because both of approach give me diffent resulta, right? I can summarize that my data is normal and use minitab option >>>>Stat ..Quality tool---Capablity---normal .

bobdoering

Stop X-bar/R Madness!!
Trusted Information Resource
Might want to read over this to get a firmer understanding of the concept of normality testing: Goodness of Fit: Is it normal? Probably...or probaby not - it's all probability

The one question the software can not answer: Does it make sense that the data is normal? Is the process output truly random and independent? If not, it is likely not normal. You may have a masking effect (such as gage or measurement error) that makes the data look normal, but shouldn't be. Verifying normality may just say that the statistical tool works on bad data. Not much value....

Last edited:
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Normal Distribution - How do I test for normality? All the data or just the averages? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 8
K Normality Assumption - Most Tests 'Assume' a Normal Distribution - t test statistic Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A Need to calculate tolerance Intervals with a set of non-normal data and 3-Parameter Weibull distribution Using Minitab Software 0
0 Interesting Discussion Analysis of half normal distribution in minitab Using Minitab Software 11
L How to evaluate the process capability of a data set that is non-normal (cannot be transformed and does not fit any known distribution)? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 12
N Apply control limits to a non-normal distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 13
R Non-normal Distribution Selection where the system is constantly being corrected Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 11
A Not all characteristics follow a Normal Distribution - How do you do SPC Chart Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
V Process Capability for parameters with non-normal distribution. Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 16
D Calculating Cpk on Non-Normal Data Distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 10
J Non-Normal Distribution Data - Tolerance Intervals and Minitab Using Minitab Software 7
U Theory and Practice Behind Expecting a Distribution for my Data (specially the normal Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 48
M Is it possible to get Natural Tolerance (Tn) with Non Normal Distribution? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
B Is this Data a Normal Distribution? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
S Relationship between Normal Distribution and AQL AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 13
O Which role plays Inverse cdf of a Standard Normal Distribution in Formula for Z-Bench Using Minitab Software 8
T Is Cpk Analysis only for Data that came from Normal Distribution? Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 7
N Measurement Uncertainty - When is Normal and when is Triangular Distribution used? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 3
M Truncated Normal Distribution: Characteristics and Use Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 25
S Using Statistical Tables for Normal Distribution - Question and hopefully answers Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
A Finding Control Limits for a Non-Normal Distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
K Graph Distribution Identification (standard, normal etc) from Minitab Using Minitab Software 2
S Normal distribution - I have a series of data but I don?t know the distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 24
R Torque Confidence Testing (Non-normal Distribution) Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
F Non-Normal Distribution vs. Gamma Distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 18
S Folded Normal Distribution - Geometric features from our machine shop Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 15
A Need help make a bin in normdist - Normal Distribution - Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 4
M Cp, Cpk, Dpm, or other? Diameter of a Hole - Non-Normal Distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 20
B What does "Targeted process follows Normal distribution" mean? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
M Random 'Normal Distribution' Numbers in Excel Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 26
ScottK Z-Score question: Is this Z related to the normal distribution Z values? Six Sigma 3
C How do I get a normal distribution curve in Excel? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 14
S How to Calculate the Area under the Normal Distribution Curve Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
J Capability of Inherently Non-Normal Process - Plating Process Thickness Distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
C Analyzing Data with a Non-Normal distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 41
N Determining whether a process yeild is normal or non-normal distribution? Six Sigma 10
Manix How can I add a Normal Distribution Bell Curve to an Excel Histogram? Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 20
P Gage R&R and non-normal distribution - Alternatives to a standard gage R&R Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 7
A Calculating Cp and Cpk on a Non-Normal Distribution Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 14
S Assessments of Normal Distribution - Formulae for CHI squared, Kurtosis and Skew Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
D Control Charts for Non-Normal Distribution Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 3
gohyl Printed Circuit Board - Unusual sighting between pads, is it normal. Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
P Ppk results shown as asterisk after the transformation of Non-normal data Using Minitab Software 4
M Is it normal / sufficient to have only the IEC 60601-1-2 test report without indicating IEC 60601-1? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Normal Condition Hazards in Risk Analysis ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 3
adir88 Tools for Normal and Fault Conditions ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 9
qualprod What is the Normal Flow in an ERP for Manufacturing? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
A Touch current in single fault conditions test and earth leakage current in normal conditions test, are they really different tests? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 9
D Do we need normal data for gage r&r studies? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
R Non Normal Data in a historically normal process Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6