Not accepting a non conformity during an audit

Graciel

Involved In Discussions
Hi, have you ever complained to the certification body about one non conformity that you received? Did they accept it? Which was the non conformity received?
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
If you don't agree with one you'd be better served by sending an appeal to your certification body instead of haggling about one like a fish monger in a market.

You can review the NC, the requirement and evidence, but the sucker will probably still stand.

Thee Bouyyy

Multiple Personalities
Hi, have you ever complained to the certification body about one non conformity that you received? Did they accept it? Which was the non conformity received?
Thanks
Yes, we did it last year with an API certification body. We didn't accept the 5 AARs. We only submitted 2 AARs complete responses. API accepted it.

See, if you are satisfied that the criteria are being met in your current QMS in compliance with the requirements, you can question any certification body with proof.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
Most companies provide a review pathway. I'm sure yours has one. But you need to ask if this is the hill you want to die on.

Dazza

Registered
The auditor should make it perfectly clear, why they are raising the non-conformity at the time of 'discovery', to give the auditee the opportunity to explain / provide suitable evidence as to why it is not a nonconformity.
The auditor has to demonstrate where the relevant clause in the standard, and/or your own process is not being met, for it to be a nonconformity.

Yes, I am an external auditor, and yes I have 'overturned' a potential nonconformity at the time of 'discovery', once I had explained why I thought it was a nonconformity and the client took the opportunity to demonstrate that they were meeting the requirements, at that moment in time, through discussion and extra evidence.

If the auditor is raising it at the closing meeting for the first time, this should have been agreed at the start of the audit, during the opening meeting as the approach that would be taken by the auditor with regards to nonconformities, and I have never come across that situation.

Ed Panek

QA RA Small Med Dev Company
Staff member
Super Moderator
From ISO 19011 6.4.4 Communicating during the audit. During the audit, it may be necessary to make formal arrangements for communication within the audit team, as well as with the auditee, the audit client and potentially with external bodies (e.g. regulators), especially where legal requirements require the mandatory reporting of non-compliances. The audit team should confer periodically to exchange information, assess audit progress, and reassign work between the audit team members, as needed. During the audit, the audit team leader should periodically communicate the progress of the audit and any concerns to the auditee and audit client, as appropriate.

As the auditee, I would brief my CEO and executive team on any findings and how we will handle them before the closing meeting. To learn of an audit finding DURING the closing meeting would be very unprofessional and I would have a word with the audit team leader about it.

Randy

Super Moderator
I've delivered over 200 accredited lead auditor courses in quality, safety, environment and aerospace to roughly 1000-2000 professionals, and in hopefully every one of them I said the same thing at one time or another during delivery....Never, ever make the existence of a NC a "surprise" at the closing meeting....EVER!

When the evidence starts to show nonconformity discuss it at that time, don't wait.

Make sure you have a specific requirement and proof (evidence) that it has not been met (this goes beyond the stupid typo error....pretty lame NC)

Get up from your side and look at everything form their side (Standards are nothing more than basic specifications/blueprint to a house that the builder has the ability to change or modify the floorplan/construction based on the potential owners tastes and wishes as long as the basic requirements are met...MS are the same)

It doesn't matter one stinking bit what you the auditor likes, dislikes, wants, hopes, wishes or desires...You ain't part of the equation!

In all cases, benefit of the doubt goes to the auditee

Wanna guess how many nonconformities I've written have been appealed? NADA, including the majors!............ And there hasn't been any harm or foul as a result.

Have I missed some? Most likely yeah, but hopefully not within my sample.... Outside of the sample is outside the sample.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L CQI & IRCA not accepting new applications for ATPs (Approved Training Partner) ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 6
S Not accepting Flowdowns for COTS Items AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
AnaMariaVR2 ANVISA Considers Accepting Foreign GMP Certifications US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
Ajit Basrur FDA guidance on accepting audit reports by other auditors/regulators US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
B Accepting/Rejecting Threads WITHIN Gage Tolerance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
S Returned Material Authorizations and Accepting Products back into Normal Inventory Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
P For your information a New Method for Accepting Supplier Goods Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 0
Sidney Vianna ISO accepting complaints about Management System Certificates to ISO Standards ASQ, ANAB, UKAS, IAF, IRCA, Exemplar Global and Related Organizations 3
R Sampling - Total probability of accepting bad lot - Producer's risk Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
Govind Accepting Jobs abroad - What do we need to know? Immigration and Expatriate Topics 31
D Clause 8.7 Control of Non conforming outputs AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
M Non conformance/complaint and CAPA ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F Product classification according to the 60601-2-57: Particular requirements [...] of non-laser light sources [...] IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
Q API Spec Q1 9th Ed 4.4.2 Non-conformance Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 8
T Do I need to add non-product related service providers to my ASL? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 12
J ISO 13485- 8.3.1 Non-conforming material high volume ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
F MSA for non-contact CMM - ISO10360 Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 0
M Using a Non Certified vendor Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
somashekar Justification for Non-applicable clause at Stage 2, in clause 4. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 11
Z Swiss Authorized representative & non-medical device regulations Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Lead auditor scenario (Need help) is this non conforming to ISO13485 Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
D Help Me. Non conformitty in External Audit IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
S Electronic Signatures - Non-Conformance - ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 30
S Do you follow your QMS for non-device software features? Medical Information Technology, Medical Software and Health Informatics 4
J Can we register non-device clinical decision support software under draft guidance? Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
D IATF 16949 SI 10, External non-accredited lab IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
M Selling non-CE marked devices for evaluation EU Medical Device Regulations 4
T Non API products need to comply to API Q1? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
L "Shelf-Life" Class I Non-Sterile Products Expiration Date? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
B Process / Procedure - Radiographic (X-Ray) Non-Film Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 0
N How to find column number for the last non-empty column? Using Minitab Software 0
A Need to calculate tolerance Intervals with a set of non-normal data and 3-Parameter Weibull distribution Using Minitab Software 0
3 Non-conformance Register vs Corrective Action Register ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
G Competent Authority non-EU Manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 7
F Non conforming locked? Manufacturing and Related Processes 13
M Changing Investigational Device from Non-Sterile to Sterile - what are the implications? Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
K Is Calibration Required for Non-Adjustable Commercial Inspection Devices? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
J Informal vs formal scope creep... managing non-medical devices through system processes ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
J In-house (NHS) manufacture and use (by staff) of non-medical devices.. any regulations apply? UK Medical Device Regulations 6
B Does FDA Registration QSR need to cover non-medical devices for contract repackager? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
A Brexit Mandate for EU Authorised Representative for non medical devices CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 7
E Accredited vs. non-accredited labs for 60601 compliance in the US IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
E Accredited vs. non-accredited labs for 60601 compliance in the US Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
C Non-sterile reusable surgical instruments - FDA sterilization requirement Other Medical Device Related Standards 2
L Water requirement for Non-sterile topical OTCs Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
B Procedure packs with non-medical devices EU Medical Device Regulations 1
W Non Sterile Medical Device Environmental Tests Other Medical Device Related Standards 4
S Advice on how to reduce overhead of handling non-conforming material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 7
G Team to analyze a non conformance Customer Complaints 26
J Promoting and marketing of a non approved device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 6