Not having "effectiveness" in the Quality Policy

I

ixgunxi

During our initial ISO13485 Stage II audit, the auditors gave us a minor for not having "effectiveness" in the quality policy. Clearly, I just missed that requirement. What types of corrective actions would be appropriate that, a documentation blunder will not occur such as this?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
J

Johndeere42

Re: Quality Policy

Wow! We recently had our AS9100 Surveillance Audit and received a finding for the exact same thing; not addressing what 'effectiveness' means.

Yet when you read the Quality manual, the supporting documents, customer audits, the whole enchilada, it is pretty apparent that our system is effective.

Suspect that this is a new bright and shiny thing for the auditors to pick on......

My own personal opinion is that there are auditors that are beginning to insert their own opinions and biases into audits and hiding behind the shield of the Registrar to force compliance.

For the record, we are rejecting the finding and forcing the Registrar to define the specific requirement that mandates this.

I

ixgunxi

Johndeere42,

You are correct. You should reject the finding since "effectiveness" is not stated in AS9100. Although it is clearly defined in ISO13485. I overlooked the clause for effectiveness since the quality policy requirements are similar for both standards.

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
Just state exactly that in your corrective action as the root cause and state that you will review the exact standard next time and maybe add a second qualified reviewer?....this is a trivial finding whose 'corrective action to prevent reoccurrence' can only be based on human action and is simply prone to error without much you can do to ensure it won't happen again....

Ajit Basrur

Staff member
Admin

Johndeere42,

You are correct. You should reject the finding since "effectiveness" is not stated in AS9100. Although it is clearly defined in ISO13485. I overlooked the clause for effectiveness since the quality policy requirements are similar for both standards.
Could you state the entire nonconformance ?

Also does the nonconformance just say "effectiveness" or "maintain effectiveness" ?

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator

Johndeere42,

You have overlooked this specific ISO13485 quality policy requirement.
- Failure to include the "Maintaining the effectiveness of your QMS" in the quality policy.
Due to inadequate review and approval of the quality policy against the specific requirement of the ISO13485, within your management review.
Strengthen your management review input with inclusion of review of "Quality Policy" and "Quality Objectives"

Statistical Steven

Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
During our initial ISO13485 Stage II audit, the auditors gave us a minor for not having "effectiveness" in the quality policy. Clearly, I just missed that requirement. What types of corrective actions would be appropriate that, a documentation blunder will not occur such as this?
I would assume the requirement is to have a quality policy and NOT what it says, though I know it requires an effective quality system. I think the best corrective action is to review and revise the quality policy. It's a minor finding and does not appear that your overall documentation system is out of compliance.

I

isoalchemist

No 13485 clearly calls out that:
Top management shall ensure that the quality policy ....
b) includes a commitment to comply with requirements and to maintain the effectiveness of the quality management system

I tend to agree that demonstration of effectiveness is much better than having words are a piece of paper, but they appear to want them on a piece of paper also.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
No 13485 clearly calls out that:
Top management shall ensure that the quality policy ....
b) includes a commitment to comply with requirements and to maintain the effectiveness of the quality management system

I tend to agree that demonstration of effectiveness is much better than having words are a piece of paper, but they appear to want them on a piece of paper also.
This "effectiveness" thing is not new to the ISO13485.
This is clearly in the base ISO9001 standard.
While I tend to agree as well., a management system driven from the top needs to spell out the policy in clarity and the standard is letting us know such words that will form the core policy to drive down with proper impact. The Standard is all about setting directions.
The reason to replace 'continually improve' with 'maintain' in the ISO13485 is also clearly reasoned within the clause 5.3.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A EU MDR Annex I section 11.3 - Medical Devices labelled as having a specific microbial state EU Medical Device Regulations 7
O Inspecting paint and having workable standards in the supply chain Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 1
P Received a minor for not having good measureables/goals. Need help with KPIs. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 52
N GDP - Having to provide a reason when writing N/A? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
O How do reduce the risk of suppliers having similar problems? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 4
D Having got ISO 13485:2016 are you dropping ISO 9001? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
Q Partial non applicability of ISO 9001 Cl. 7.1.5 (not having services)? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Not having an internal audit during the year ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 14
T Having Fun While Learning ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Having a hard time closing CAR/ PAR Nonconformance and Corrective Action 13
M Justification for Not Having a Validation Plan for a Critical Process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
U-DOG Root Cause for a Form not having all info (traceability standard and the gage number) Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 14
M How to compare 2 independent samples having 3 factors 3 levels Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
W Thoughts on having Safety Shower in ISO Class 7 Cleanroom ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
T Customer Escape of a part having features reversed 180 degrees Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
ScottK Is anyone else having problems uploading Proprietary Names into the DRLM? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 9
K Calibration Standards - Master weight having more tolerance than our gram scale General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Having trouble with corrective action on external audit nonconformance Nonconformance and Corrective Action 8
S Minor NC for Not Having Management Review When Scheduled Management Review Meetings and related Processes 12
B Example of Production Process Change having Significant Consequences AS9100C 7.5.1.2 AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
C Can a Company get away with not having Employees Trained to the Processes they use? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 2
J DOE Analysis Experiment, 5 factors, 4 factors having 3 levels, and 1 factor having 5 Using Minitab Software 38
B Having trouble writing a directive (procedure) that points to the right place ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
J Ever heard of having a Controlled SOP template? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 12
J What is the advantage of having an NCA 3800 Quality Certificate Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
N Benefits of having an EDMS in a Construction Company Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
S CE Label having the indication for the applied part EU Medical Device Regulations 7
Marc Florida Professor Arrested for Having a "Suspicious" Bagel on a Plane Travel - Hotels, Motels, Planes and Trains 14
F Reliability of a System - Estimation of R(t) having constant failure rate "Lambda" Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
D What is the basis for having 1 or 6 Quality Manuals? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
V Having quality in your resume in today's economy. Imported Legacy Blogs 3
C What is the Purpose of or Requirement for having a Gage Glossary? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
I Not having Training Records for Documentation Changes - ISO 13485 Clause 4.2.3 Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 22
C Objective Evidence of Internal Auditors having Audit Clause 4.1. ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
S Feasibility of having one Quality Manual that documents 2 businesses? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Ajit Basrur Anyone having procedure on "Handling Regulatory Audits" ? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
somashekar Optical epoxy for LED having good thermal shock resistance. Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
Q 510k for Exempt Class I Medical Device - Industry Advantage to having a 510k Approval 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 12
L Having faith in your Layered Process Auditors - Pencil whipping audits Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 8
P Having only influential control for some Legal needs. Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
S What are the consequences of having an expired ISO 9001:2000 Certificate ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
J Advantage of having 2 marks - RvA and ANAB, for example Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
L Objectives: Measurable or having a tangible value? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R Evaluate Customer Satisfaction without having to send questionnaires Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
eternal_atlas Is not having a controlled copy of ISO 9001 standard a NonConformance? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 114
Ajit Basrur Anyone having ppt file on Advisory Notices ? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
Ajit Basrur Can you recommend websites having GMP posters? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 6
MarilynJ6354 Observed Audit Behavior - Internal auditors having lunch with the auditees Internal Auditing 32
C Thoughts on benefits and drawbacks of having QC and QA go from 1 head to 2? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 3
R Having a Gordon Ramsay person come to your business Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 29