Not sure how to go about measuring this part

I did not see an official introduction thread that I should have introduced myself prior to asking my 1st of many questions. If there is my apologies in advance. At the company that I work at, they have done a recent rev change to a part that we have made for sometime with little or no GD&T on the print.

I have attached a sketch of the part to this thread. My question is how do I go about measure the position of 6 radial holes that are on a 60° basic angle using only a vision system? I may be just over thinking this one today. In the past all that they wanted was the location from datum and how far off of center was the drilled hole.

Attachments

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
I think the best way to measure, using a vision system, is to fit measuring pins (gages) in the holes.
Since the pins (gages) are calibrated (known Ø), you can receive both the angle between the holes and the height from datum B.

Totally agree - in addition, place the maximum size of plug gauges into holes (Dia.) and find the center of the plug gauge - but stay as close to the outside diameter of the part. The next step is to do the same but from the inside of the part. This could give you additional information about the position of the holes.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
Not sure if this is also part of your question but to calculate the true position takes a bit of math. You will know the error of .216 easy enough however, to caculate the error of the 60 degree angle you will need the following information:

What is the actual angle at (we will say 59.9 degrees for our example)
What is the OD of the Part (we will say 2.000 for our example)

Now you have to calculate the error based on 59.9 degrees at 1.00 long (1/2 diameter) or Error=(1.000*sin60)-(1.000*sin59.9). Note, I have always used the 1.000 as the hypotenuse of the triangle.

the math with actual numbers:

error= (1.000*.86602)-(1.000*.86515) or error = .00087. Note as the diameter gets bigger, .1 degree makes the error higher (longer distances).

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Not sure if this is also part of your question but to calculate the true position takes a bit of math. You will know the error of .216 easy enough however, to caculate the error of the 60 degree angle you will need the following information:

Now you have to calculate the error based on 59.9 degrees at 1.00 long (1/2 diameter) or Error=(1.000*sin60)-(1.000*sin59.9). Note, I have always used the 1.000 as the hypotenuse of the triangle.

error= (1.000*.86602)-(1.000*.86515) or error = .00087. Note as the diameter gets bigger, .1 degree makes the error higher (longer distances).
Great math lesson that newbies don't know or realized or .... because the older generation did not want to share.

I always seem to leave a little bit out of the question or comment that I post. What I should have asked was how to calculate the true position. I will check out what Michael had to say. Thanks again for the help

howste

Thaumaturge
Super Moderator
I did not see an official introduction thread that I should have introduced myself prior to asking my 1st of many questions. If there is my apologies in advance. At the company that I work at, they have done a recent rev change to a part that we have made for sometime with little or no GD&T on the print.

I have attached a sketch of the part to this thread. My question is how do I go about measure the position of 6 radial holes that are on a 60° basic angle using only a vision system? I may be just over thinking this one today. In the past all that they wanted was the location from datum and how far off of center was the drilled hole.

Welcome to the Cove Forums. :bigwave: I don't know that I can add anything more than what's been said above, but here's our introductions thread if you'd like to use it.

Thanks for the help. Once I know the error for both the 60° basic as well as the .216 basic I just plug it into the formula for position POSITION=2*SQRT(X^2 + Y^2)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A How to make sure whether the predicated device is marked with EC certificate? EU Medical Device Regulations 8
S Cg/Cgk - Special equipment that I'm not sure what to do Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 4
M Not sure what standards apply to non-electrical patient bed EU Medical Device Regulations 6
V Selection of Design - 8 Factors, almost sure about Target Levels Using Minitab Software 8
Jen Kirley This international consultant thing sure is a ride! Career and Occupation Discussions 13
Jim Wynne Baseball Opening Day--A Sure Sign Of Spring Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
O Seasonality - How can I be sure whether the seasonality is available or not Using Minitab Software 2
K Review of applicable standards - How to make sure new rev is only a reaffirmation? Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
ScottK Make sure to read the en.Wikipedia home page today After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
J Environmental Project - I am sure it fits into ISO14001 somewhere Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
D Definition Total (Blueprint) B/P tolerance - I am not entirely sure what B/P stands for Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 1
M Plastic Injection Molding Process FMEA - Not sure how to start FMEA and Control Plans 14
K Prohibited metal verification - I am not sure of a PHYSICAL way to verify this Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 9
A Electronic Forms control - Making sure the most current version of a form was used Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 13
R Sample size selection to make sure 95% confidence detectability Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 5
J ISO 9001:2000 Process Audit Attached - I sure would LOVE some feedback! Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 1
S Approval For Standard OEM Parts - I am never quite sure how we should submit approval Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
R ULM Measuring Pressures General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
M Missing measuring equipment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
Marco Bernardi MMC & LMC modifiers and CMM measuring techinques like diameter least squares and circularity or minimum/maximim diameter. Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 2
Kuldeep Singh Measuring Function MEDDEV 2.1/5 relation with MDD 93/42/EEC CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Measuring FIM (TIR) - Two inside diameters - Conflicting readings between inspectors Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
ScottK Measuring thread flank angle on a screw Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
D ASTM C1064 Temperature Measuring Device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
B Measuring and monitoring equipment - Understanding which procedures to be compliant with ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C ISO 9001:2015 Monitoring and measuring resources. Application a service industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
V Ammeter calibration - Measuring head (on pic.) problem General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
D Monitoring and measuring resources - Example of how section ISO 9001 7.1.5 would apply to a manufacture of software ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A CE mark - Measuring Instruments Directive confusion! CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Measuring Capability of Process with Multiple Specifications Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 6
E ISO 13485 7.6 Control of monitoring and measuring equipment - Assess the Validity ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
D Measuring fine tubing (< 0.100") "Wall by weight" General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
G Posting Measuring Equipment Accuracy for User Information General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S ISO 9001 7.1.5.2 - Actions Taken When Measuring Equipment is Found to be Unfit for Use General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
G ISO 9001 and ISO 17025 - Measuring tools not in calibration system General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
S Calibration - Isolated current meter - Measuring patient auxiliary leakage current Calibration and Metrology Software and Hardware 4
G Measuring customer parts on a CMM - How many decimals to report to the customer? ISO 17025 related Discussions 28
qualprod Complying with ISO 9001:2015 - 9.1.1 b - Monitoring, measuring, analyzing and evaluation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Tagin Measuring supplier quality with small quantities Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 10
G Uncertainty of staging a short line scale standard on longer measuring machine? Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 4
U Measuring a Golf Club Face/Grip/Shaft Rotation General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 7
Q Acceptable calibration accuracy of a 60" linear measuring device General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 16
H Measuring Design Process Design and Development of Products and Processes 4
C AS9100D 7.1.5.2 / Calibration of Employee Owned Measuring Equipment AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
M Effectiveness Measuring and Efficiency Measuring In ISO 9001:2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
johnny johnson New measuring equipment selection (Cg/Cgk) Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 2
S Cleanrooms - Particle Measuring - ISO 14644 Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 3
S IOQ protocol for a Micro-Vu measuring system - Is a PQ required? Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 2
K ISO 13485:2016 Cl. 4.2.3 - Determine QMS Processes, Monitoring, Measuring, etc. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
L Radius Measuring Tools General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4