Notification of Changes to a Class I Medical Device - Reporting Requirements

neash83

Starting to get Involved
Hello,

I'm trying to find any guidance on requirements related to notification of changes in a medical device.

It is only for a Class I device (non sterile and non measuring) done under Annex VII.

If there was a change made to the device, what requirements would apply regarding notification of change and to what type of changes?

I can't seem to find anything specific in the MDD and wondered if there was any guidance documents available specifically cover Class I devices?

Thanks

neash83

Starting to get Involved
Re: Notification of Changes to Class I Medical Device Reporting Requirements

I was thinking more along the lines of more standard changes to the device, as opposed to those required under vigilance assessment. Such as a change in the material for performance requirements or indications for use.

Thanks

pkost

Trusted Information Resource

Notification of class I product is dependent on the competent authority

If you take the UK for example, the MHRA only expects you to inform them that you are placing a product group on the market; if you add to the group at a later date then you don't need to do anything (even if it is an entirely new device)

Other countries have different rules

shimonv

Trusted Information Resource

My understanding of it is that class I devices are self declaration.
So, as long your change is within the scope of the its definition as class I device, and as long as no adverse events or recalls are issued (which should't really happen with a low risk device), and as long as post-market surveialance information does't reveal something surprising that may change its classification - you are good.

I too, am not aware of any regulation on this matter.
It's important to make sure that your change control process includes regulatory assessment. This way if there is a change in the intended use someone will check if the classification remains the same.

Shimon

Top Bottom