Notification Sample Regarding Record Retention

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hello Cove Dwellers -

I have a rather simple task to conduct but it is giving me some difficulties...

We recently changed our record retention from 3 years to 15 years.

Our GM has requested that a letter is to be typed up (by yours truely) to explain this change and state our record retention time.

The letter will be sent to all of our medical customers.

Customer Service has asked that I write out this letter, sign it as well, and then they would forward it onto the appropriate customers.

I personally think a "letter" is a little excessive. A general statement via email to the customers would work just fine IMO...

I am looking for examples of a notification of record retention that I could review and maybe work off of to produce this letter.

Besides the simple statement: "Our Company retains all records for 15 years." - what else should I include in this letter?

Thanks in advance for your advice, suggestions, and thoughts. :agree1:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

NikkiQSM

Quite Involved in Discussions
What is the reason for the retention time change?
It's been stated as 3 years from the since the beginning of the Company..

More and more customers are asking that we keep records for 10 years, some say the life-time of the medical device they make from the product...

We recently had a Management Council Meeting and decided 15 years was appropriate.

L

lfrost

It's been stated as 3 years from the since the beginning of the Company..

More and more customers are asking that we keep records for 10 years, some say the life-time of the medical device they make from the product...

We recently had a Management Council Meeting and decided 15 years was appropriate.
Nikki,

In 21CFR820.180 General Requirements it states that:

Sec. 820.180 General requirements.

All records required by this part shall be maintained at the manufacturing establishment or other location that is reasonably accessible to responsible officials of the manufacturer and to employees of FDA designated to perform inspections. Such records, including those not stored at the inspected establishment, shall be made readily available for review and copying by FDA employee(s). Such records shall be legible and shall be stored to minimize deterioration and to prevent loss. Those records stored in automated data processing systems shall be backed up.
(a)Confidentiality. Records deemed confidential by the manufacturer may be marked to aid FDA in determining whether information may be disclosed under the public information regulation in part 20 of this chapter.
(b)Record retention period. All records required by this part shall be retained for a period of time equivalent to the design and expected life of the device, but in no case less than 2 years from the date of release for commercial distribution by the manufacturer.
(c)Exceptions. This section does not apply to the reports required by 820.20(c) Management review, 820.22 Quality audits, and supplier audit reports used to meet the requirements of 820.50(a) Evaluation of suppliers, contractors, and consultants, but does apply to procedures established under these provisions. Upon request of a designated employee of FDA, an employee in management with executive responsibility shall certify in writing that the management reviews and quality audits required under this part, and supplier audits where applicable, have been performed and documented, the dates on which they were performed, and that any required corrective action has been undertaken.
From what this states, I would think that you will need to retain your records for two years after the last device has been manufactured. This is the length of time that we retain our records for our medical devices. We just stopped manufacuring one device that we have been making for 12 years. That means that our records will need to stay active and retained for two more years.

I hope this helps my :2cents:.

Added in edit: I think that this is one of the reasons why some of your customers are requesting changes in your record retention practices. They might have to follow the FDA QS regulation that mandates a longer retention time than three years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I

isoalchemist

Also 21CFR180(b) points up a good reason against a blanket 15 year retention that could be overkill or not long enough. The Q&R world is never filled with simple answers and the answer will probably will change based on the next guidance document or standard revision issue.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Audit Notification Letter - Sample wanted (Waste contractor audit) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
D CE marked MD Notification to Spain & Italy EU Medical Device Regulations 4
M Notification Requirements for Medical Device Raw Materials 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Q Corrective Action Notification - Registration Audit ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
S Foreign Risk Notification Canada Medical Device Regulations 2
J Device notification / registration with competent authority EU Medical Device Regulations 2
John C. Abnet Special Status Notification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
L Change Notification Requirements for class 1 devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
M IATF16949 Clause 9.1.2.1e - Customer notification related IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J FDA notification of address change US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
N Competent Authority notification for non-EU manufacturer EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Change Notification - Registrar vs Notified body ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P 21 CFR 807.81 When a premarket notification submission is required Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Special Premarket Notification [510(k)] Pathway Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
D Customer and Company Specific Requirements for notification of Customers of a change in Management or Key Personnel Customer and Company Specific Requirements 3
M Informational US FDA Final guidance – Metal Expandable Biliary Stents – Premarket Notification (510(k)) Submissions Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational ANVISA – Notification for Class 1 devices – Resolução da Diretoria Colegiada – RDC nº 270 de 28/02/2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M FDA News USFDA Final Guidance – Intent to Exempt Certain Unclassified Medical Devices from Premarket Notification Requirements Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
supadrai Informational Japan Minor Change Notification Application Form - Found it? Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
C QR Code on Medical Device Packaging and Notification to Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 1
S Change Control Form vs. Document Change Notification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
T External Standard Update Notification AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Nemko AS & DQS - Concern over notification as a Medical Device NB Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
E Customer Letter/Notification - Is it a field action? Other US Medical Device Regulations 4
dubrizo IATF 16949 Clause 8.7.1.6 - Customer Notification - Your Inputs Requested IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
N Notification of Changes to a Class I Medical Device - Reporting Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 4
O Regulatory Notification for IVD IFU Instructions Revision ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
L Notification and submission requirements for medical device material changes Registrars and Notified Bodies 2
T Notification of affected parties of Updated Documented Procedures ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
J CRB (Certification Registration Body) Notification of Potential Escape AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
C Notification to Customers regarding Major Audit Finding IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 25
GStough Template for Supplier Notification of Audit Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 5
P Acquisition of a company that manufactures a PMA device-FDA notification requriements 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
F Notification Procedure for Reimbursement Implants and Invasive Devices in Belgium EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Audit Notification - Is it a obligation to notify people or just good practice Internal Auditing 18
M Is Notification of the Test Laboratory always necessary for Supplier Changes? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 12
Stijloor GM (Supplier) and PPAP Requirement 3.1 Customer Notification APQP and PPAP 5
Ajit Basrur FDA: Industry Notification: Furlough Update (8 October 2013) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 8
J Process Changes - Customer Notification Requirements APQP and PPAP 12
O Documenting Processes requiring Customer Notification Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 2
A Customer Notification of Change Procedure Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
L How to track the NCR (Quality Notification, Services Notification) Nonconformance and Corrective Action 2
A Temporary Change of Manufacturing Site - Notified Body Notification Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Hershal This morning I received notification that I have my third copyright Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 11
B Control Plan Revision Requirements - Notification of and Approval by Customers FMEA and Control Plans 1
K Customer Notification Requirements - New Packaging Machine for Class 1 Medical Device ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
A Do I need to send notification to Notified body and EC Rep? EU Medical Device Regulations 12
D Customer Notification: PCN - EOL ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
A Material Grade Change Notification to Brazil ANVISA Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M Class I Medical Device - 1st notification and change notification EU Medical Device Regulations 4