Notified Body CE Project Manager - Worst job ever?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

RobertvanBoxtel

Involved In Discussions
Hi Sam, interesting that you find this "review".

The next line of thought is not directed at you, but at all of us in the QA/RA business.
Experiences with all NB's show that the workload is through the roof. Increased scrutiny of their Competent Authorities (competent by definition..., not hindered by any knowledge on how industry really works), Impact of the joint audits as part of the Dali plan (ancient history - o, no, only 6-7 years ago) --> less NB's, increase qualification requirements, etc etc.

We can all go on and fill in more details here...

As industry, we can also take another point of view and need to realize that we do need their services. How can we ensure that the reduced resources they (NB's) have available, are used more effectively?

Ok, I will give a potential answer: By implementing processes that result in demonstrably compliant dossiers and QMS's. And make that not only the QA/RA responsibility, but the complete company. Don't sent in dossiers that still require addition information or take the approach "let's give it a shot". That's waisting time.

"But management wants us to submit, because we (= Sales/marketing) have already announced this product is almost CE certified". Don't tell me you never heard that before...

If you show your NB that you stick to their timelines, they will stick to yours. And yes, right now, communications can be improved. But not only from the side of NB's...

Easy said, I know, when you have at least found a Notified Body. There still are some accepting clients. Put in the effort to find them. An email to the [email protected] will typically not result in any response.

Concluding, all, stay positive, explain to management why more time is needed and continue to work your magic. Internally and towards NB's.

Regardless of how they can be a pain in the A.S.S., we need them. Hopefully they need us too...

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Until the trend of commoditizing conformity assessment services is reversed, it will always be an uphill battle for CAB's (Conformity Assessment Bodies) to be able to attract high caliber talent in enough quantity to deal with the timeliness and service level expectations of all stakeholders involved.

Let's keep in mind that, to a great extent, the current crunch is due to a perceived lack of confidence by some key stakeholders.

Until CAB's understand their "product" should be CONFIDENCE and not certificates, and be prepared to develop business models that attract and retain the type of talent they need, in a profitable way, this challenge will remain and a lot of pain and angst will be a constant.

Randy

Super Moderator
Well totally not my experience, but then I was in a different cost center. Yeah we had long hours that exceeded the 8 hours that could be logged per audit day (totally BS and unrealistic in some cases but those are the rules), but health and alcohol issues are individual choices so the folks going in probably had sorry health patterns to begin with.

Pay? I started very high 5 figure in 2004 and when I quit being a full-timer I was in the mid 6's (still low 6's as a part time contracted person)

I don't know what the educational expectations are but the company in question had me trained up to audit and teach - AS9100, AS9110, BSI 16001, OHSAS 18001, RCMS & RC14001, ISO 50001, ISO 22000, and GHG Verification along with some others.

I don't know the writer of the article but from my perspective they probably never had any honest adversity in their past to deal with, as for me, if they ain't shooting at me, it's all good.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Its same for all Notified Bodies, however its actually their own mistake. They had given lots of bad companies CE mark... Now they are trying to clean their mess.
As long as the scheme is NOT based on TRUST and relies on a mark by an other contractual body (the NB), disaster is eminent.
The more you tighten the noose around the contractual body, the more difficult the customer feels, still missing the TRUST in the complete process.
There were a lot of takers for the "CE for sale" around the globe, just because it was offered. The contractual body was never accountable but only responsible. The customer shifted the accountability to the NB without understanding the scheme in total.
Disaster....
EU will never learn the FDA way.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Adding the Notified Body Number CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
A NB (Notified Body) Audit of Standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Change Notification - Registrar vs Notified body ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Watchcat "Disappeared" Linkedin Notified Body Rant EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Notified Body audits -Class Ia medical device product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Notified Body for MDD 1Q20 - Florida Company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 2797 BSI Group The Netherlands B.V. Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 1912 – DARE!! Services B.V. – Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Customer asking if their notified body can audit us ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N MDR review process by notified body - How many steps exist in the review process EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Ed Panek CAPA against Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Informational EU – First IVDR designated Notified Body – DEKRA Certification GmbH Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Regular meetings with Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 13
M Informational EU – New designated Notified Body under the MDR – TÜV Rheinland LGA Products GmbH Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational New designated Notified Body for Regulation (EU) 2017/745 (MDR) included in Nando – IMQ ISTITUTO ITALIANO DEL MARCHIO DI QUALITÀ S.P.A. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Informational EU – Next Notified Body designated to the MDR 2017/475 is IMQ S.p.A from Italy Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – DEKRA Certification GmbH is the third Notified Body designated under the MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
JoshuaFroud The withdrawal of Lloyd’s Register MDD & IVDD Notified Body Status CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Measurement Unit Rounding Nonconformity - Notified Body Audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
M Informational From RAPS – Another Notified Body Bows Out Ahead of EU MDR: ‘Investment Too High’ Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Authorized Rep (AR), competent authority, NCA and notified body - Differences EU Medical Device Regulations 9
R How long to wait for Notified Body Response - Potentially significant change to a medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
M Informational New Notified Body designated under the MDR – TÜV SÜD Product Service GmbH Zertifizierstellen Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
shimonv Non-significant notice of change to notified body EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Difficulty Finding A Notified Body for CE Marking - No Capacity Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
P Notified body located in an other country than manufacturing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M BSI – Want to know more about the Notified Body? Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
M Medical Device News BSI achieves Designation for its Netherlands Medical Devices Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Attestation of QA certificate from foreign (EU) Notified Body Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
D Notified body - CE Certification Class 2a Products in India CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
M Notified Body Involvement with Self Declared Products EU Medical Device Regulations 7
C QR Code on Medical Device Packaging and Notification to Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H Clinical investigation - Role of Notified Body (NB) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S Certification Body, Registrar, Notified Body - What is the difference? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
D CE Mark with same NB (Notified Body)? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Sam Lazzara Expedited, fast-track Notified Body Technical File reviews EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Notified Body - Minor Nonconformances - They have withheld all certificates General Auditing Discussions 3
R Non-Conformity Report from Notified Body - MEDDEV Guide is not Legally Binding EU Medical Device Regulations 16
JoCam Required Frequency of Notified Body reviews of Technical Files EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R ISO 13485 Certificate Scope modified by Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 9
S Literature Search - Notified Body Had Questions About our Rationale CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
M Notified Body (NB) Audits of Sub-Contractors and Critical Suppliers EU Medical Device Regulations 35
C Class I Reusable Surgical Instruments - CE Mark with the Notified Body number EU Medical Device Regulations 14
R Which Notified Body to Choose in the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 7
C Moving to a different Notified Body Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
A What to expect in a Design Dossier Review for CE Marking by a Notified Body CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
D Experience with Notified Body - ITC from Czech Republic for Medical Devices Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
T Communication between FDA and Notified Body US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5