Notified Body Involvement with Self Declared Products

Mor628

Involved In Discussions
Hi guys,

If one of our Class I (self declare) products has a significant complaint (patient at risk, national authority is notified), is there auditor then allowed to question us on it even though it is not on our ISO 13485 scope and therefore not one of the products on their sampling list.

How much can the auditor be involved in those products that are self declare? Are self declare products subject to the same audit procedure as Class Is?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Not sure how a medical device is not in your ISO 13485 quality system (or you mean it's not on the scope of the certificate? Anyway, it's weird).

Anyway, in regards of compliance with the directive, the NB is not involved in any step of the regulatory compliance, so they in principle Ould not be able to ask anything. But then again, if you have both self declaration products and other products, I don't think it would be possible to separate that, for example, in the QMS level.

Mor628

Involved In Discussions
Hey Marcelo,

Yes, it is not on the scope of our ISO 13485 certificate.

If it is not included in our ISO 13485, then it is not included in our QMS as well right?

Marcelo

Inactive Registered Visitor
Hey Marcelo,

Yes, it is not on the scope of our ISO 13485 certificate.

If it is not included in our ISO 13485, then it is not included in our QMS as well right?
Well, unless you explicit mention it in your QMS (not on the QMS certificate), it will be part of the QMS. You may have a certificate that does not include it, but the certificate would only refer to the exclusion of the QMS (the certificate itself cannot simply exclude things that are not excluded in the QMS).

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Staff member
Super Moderator
why would a product that is registered as class I, self declared not be in your QMS scope? I know that ISO 13485 is voluntary for this but why exclude it if you have ISO 13485 registration?

otherwise I'm with Marcelo - If this product is not specifically excluded from the scope of the QMS in some way I believe your NB can examine it and any complaints that result from it. I know I would if I was an auditor in this situation because I would want to see the effectiveness of your complaint handling system.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
Scope of certification and scope of the system are distinct things.

So, you are saying that your organization designs, produces and sells a medical device, but that device is not covered under ANY quality system? From a risk-based perspective, that doesn't make ANY sense.

If you want an opinion about the adequacy of the external auditor assessing the system as it relates to this device, please post EXACTLY what is the scope of certification with any current exclusions.

Also, if your organization makes claims about being ISO 13485 certified in ads or promotional material, does it disclaim the exclusions?

moounir

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

I think there is a misunderstanding between 2 things.
You have usually 2 certificates:
- CE Marking certificate
- QMS Certificate

I agree that your class I self-certified product is out of scope for the CE Marking Certificate.
But your QMS is the global law putting in place a system for all your company. So your class I product is included in this system. The QMS is not making a distinction between Class I or Class III products. So I am also with Marcelo. Your NB can ask you questions on your product not under CE Marking but on the scope of QMS.

So if you receive a lot of complaints regarding this product, your QMS should tell you which step you have to follow. And this is what the NB will be looking.

I hope this clarifies your problem.

rob73

looking for answers
We had a similar situation, there was an MHRA report (not serious) on one of our Class 1 devices, when this was picked up at an audit the auditor wanted to know why they were not informed. The scope of their certificate was for a Class 1m device not the reported device, the auditor was happy that they did not need to be informed, but still looked at the CAPA as part of our 13485 audit.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K Adding the Notified Body Number CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
A NB (Notified Body) Audit of Standards ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
J Conflict of Interest Registrar/Notified Body/Testing House Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 4
R Change Notification - Registrar vs Notified body ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
Watchcat "Disappeared" Linkedin Notified Body Rant EU Medical Device Regulations 2
M Notified Body audits -Class Ia medical device product EU Medical Device Regulations 4
R Notified Body for MDD 1Q20 - Florida Company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 2797 BSI Group The Netherlands B.V. Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – New notified body designated under the MDR – NB 1912 – DARE!! Services B.V. – Netherlands Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Customer asking if their notified body can audit us ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
N MDR review process by notified body - How many steps exist in the review process EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Ed Panek CAPA against Notified Body? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
M Informational EU – First IVDR designated Notified Body – DEKRA Certification GmbH Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
N Regular meetings with Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 13
M Informational EU – New designated Notified Body under the MDR – TÜV Rheinland LGA Products GmbH Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational New designated Notified Body for Regulation (EU) 2017/745 (MDR) included in Nando – IMQ ISTITUTO ITALIANO DEL MARCHIO DI QUALITÀ S.P.A. Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 3
M Informational EU – Next Notified Body designated to the MDR 2017/475 is IMQ S.p.A from Italy Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – DEKRA Certification GmbH is the third Notified Body designated under the MDR Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
JoshuaFroud The withdrawal of Lloyd’s Register MDD & IVDD Notified Body Status CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Measurement Unit Rounding Nonconformity - Notified Body Audit Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
M Informational From RAPS – Another Notified Body Bows Out Ahead of EU MDR: ‘Investment Too High’ Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Authorized Rep (AR), competent authority, NCA and notified body - Differences EU Medical Device Regulations 9
R How long to wait for Notified Body Response - Potentially significant change to a medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 6
M Informational New Notified Body designated under the MDR – TÜV SÜD Product Service GmbH Zertifizierstellen Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
shimonv Non-significant notice of change to notified body EU Medical Device Regulations 4
S Difficulty Finding A Notified Body for CE Marking - No Capacity Registrars and Notified Bodies 5
P Notified body located in an other country than manufacturing company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
M BSI – Want to know more about the Notified Body? Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
M Start-Up Company looking for ISO 13485 Certification Body and Medical Device CE Mark Notified Body Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
M Medical Device News BSI achieves Designation for its Netherlands Medical Devices Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 2
C Attestation of QA certificate from foreign (EU) Notified Body Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
D Notified body - CE Certification Class 2a Products in India CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
C QR Code on Medical Device Packaging and Notification to Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 1
H Clinical investigation - Role of Notified Body (NB) EU Medical Device Regulations 6
S Certification Body, Registrar, Notified Body - What is the difference? Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
D CE Mark with same NB (Notified Body)? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
Sam Lazzara Expedited, fast-track Notified Body Technical File reviews EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Sam Lazzara Notified Body CE Project Manager - Worst job ever? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
K Notified Body - Minor Nonconformances - They have withheld all certificates General Auditing Discussions 3
R Non-Conformity Report from Notified Body - MEDDEV Guide is not Legally Binding EU Medical Device Regulations 16
JoCam Required Frequency of Notified Body reviews of Technical Files EU Medical Device Regulations 6
R ISO 13485 Certificate Scope modified by Notified Body EU Medical Device Regulations 9
S Literature Search - Notified Body Had Questions About our Rationale CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Notified Body (NB) Audits of Sub-Contractors and Critical Suppliers EU Medical Device Regulations 35
C Class I Reusable Surgical Instruments - CE Mark with the Notified Body number EU Medical Device Regulations 14
R Which Notified Body to Choose in the EU EU Medical Device Regulations 7
C Moving to a different Notified Body Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 5
A What to expect in a Design Dossier Review for CE Marking by a Notified Body CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
D Experience with Notified Body - ITC from Czech Republic for Medical Devices Registrars and Notified Bodies 15
T Communication between FDA and Notified Body US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5