NPT thread gauging and the "rapping" process

marcusja2002

Involved In Discussions
I've just been made aware of the ASME B1.21.1 standard indicating "rapping" is ok to correct nicked threads.

Where can I find the controls on this rapping process, because as I see it, it could be interpreted as a method to just re-ream the thread with the gauge to make it pass.

Any guidance would me much appreciated.

Thanks,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Eredhel

Quality Manager
I don't have an answer unfortunately but you might contact a gage manufacturer. I had a minor diameter issue while checking a shop made plug gage. I sent an email to Vermont Gage and they were kind enough to point me in the right direction. They also gave me the exact section of a standard that dealt with my specific question.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T How do I calibrate NPT Thread Plug Gages? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
T Correct use of NPT (National Pipe Thread) Thread Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 15
S Calibrating a 1/8-27 NPT thread gage General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4
S NPT Thread Calibration Method - NPT Taper Thread Plug Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
V Thread Plug Gage Pitch GO Diameter out of spec AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 8
C Aluminum galling on thread plug gauge Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
ScottK Measuring thread flank angle on a screw Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 0
G Oversized Threads - What sized stab pin would be best to quickly check for oversized thread holes General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
H Thread Plug Gauge Tolerances General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
A Cost effective thread gaging with ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
APHX02 Thread Roll Process Verification w/in AS9100 (i.e. BSP-F-69/AS8879) Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
O Thread Tolerance - Can I use a 3A Ring on a part that the drawing calls out for a 2A? Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
M Error trying to Start a New Thread Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
Marc Basic - How to Start a New Discussion Thread Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 1
S What the difference is between Stub Acme & Acme thread? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
Marc Printable Discussion Thread View Elsmar Xenforo Forum Software Instructions and Help 0
S Thread Ring Gauge verification General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
O Thread Diameter as a Datum Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
O ISO 9001:2015 Transition Internal Audit completion thread ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R Thread plug chip groove - Thread plugs without the chip groove General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
S Unique ID Required for Thread Gage Replacements? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
M Calibration of Thread Plugs and Ring Gages - Various Thread Standards General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
P Thread recommendation for Cast Iron part Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
K Thread callout - M22 x 1.0-6H 0.100R Thread Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
4 In-House Thread Wire Calibration General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 5
C Manufacturing Thread Ring Gages Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
E External Thread Cosmetic/Appearance Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
C Thread Gage Training? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 3
C Measuring Solid Thread Ring Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 17
P Best Method of Cleaning of Thread Ring Gages Calibration Frequency (Interval) 5
G Sequence and Frequency of Calibration for Thread Gauges General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
A Product Impact When Thread Rings Require Adjustment General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 9
kedarg6500 How to calculate Thread Pitch Diameter for non standard TPI like 5/8" 17.75 NF3 Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
I How to determine the thread wire size needed - Buttress Thread Gauge General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
D Roll Form Thread Standard Manufacturing and Related Processes 7
M Thread Gage Longevity Question General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 6
kedarg6500 Availability of 5/8" 17.75 TPI Thread Ring Gauge & Die Nut Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
N Formula that will calculate the NoGo Major Diameter of an M20 x 1.5 6H Thread gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
6 Print Callout for a Special Thread - 1.173-18 UNS-3A Major Dia. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
C Calibration of Master Thread Plug Gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C Measurements of Major Diameters of plug thread gages General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 12
J Thread Gauge Calibration Failure for Pitch Diameter being too large General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
N Free iPhone app - Screw Thread Calculator After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 0
D Indysoft Calibration Software Thread Plug Template Help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
K Qualifications I need to adhere to for Thread Gage Calibration Calibration Frequency (Interval) 1
T Inspecting Full Thread Depth with a Plug Gage Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Screw Thread Go and No Go Gauge Standard Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 8
J Acme Thread Gage Tool Wear Measurement General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 11
A STI (Screw Thread Insert) Thread Gauge-use Before or After Insertion? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
SATHYABALARAMAN Thread Plug Gauge - NO-GO Rejection Criteria General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 4