NQA-1 Requirement 17 Quality Records - Facility Types and Temporary Storage

P

PittsburghBrass

Greetings all.
I have seen some discussions on this topic, but not quite addressing my question, so I am looking for some guidance on this from nuclear qa gurus...specifically...
I'm looking for clarification/guidance on parapragh 602 facility types and paragraph 603 temporary storage.
Paragraph 602.1...Our facility has a vault. We know that the vault door is rated for 2-hour fire-safe. Is this sufficient? Meaning, does the room itself require a fire rating in addition to the vault door? Seems silly on one level, but I wouldn't be shocked if the room attached to the vault would also need to be fire-rated, given the regulation seen at nuclear-level. Would standard file cabinets within our 'standard' room with the 2-hour fire-rated vault door satisfy the requirement? Our auditor seems unsure.
Paragraph 603...Do requirements of temporary storage on nuclear records, (1-hour fire-safe container) imply that during the course of working on an NQA-related work order, records must be filed while the order is being processed/worked-on? Seems strange.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
E

Echols

Greetings all.
I have seen some discussions on this topic, but not quite addressing my question, so I am looking for some guidance on this from nuclear qa gurus...specifically...
I'm looking for clarification/guidance on parapragh 602 facility types and paragraph 603 temporary storage.
Paragraph 602.1...Our facility has a vault. We know that the vault door is rated for 2-hour fire-safe. Is this sufficient? Meaning, does the room itself require a fire rating in addition to the vault door? Seems silly on one level, but I wouldn't be shocked if the room attached to the vault would also need to be fire-rated, given the regulation seen at nuclear-level. Would standard file cabinets within our 'standard' room with the 2-hour fire-rated vault door satisfy the requirement? Our auditor seems unsure.
Paragraph 603...Do requirements of temporary storage on nuclear records, (1-hour fire-safe container) imply that during the course of working on an NQA-related work order, records must be filed while the order is being processed/worked-on? Seems strange.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
My company does not have a vault, so we use the Dual Storage method. However, I have encountered your situation during audits. NQA-1 2008 Ed./2009 Add. Part III, Subpart 3.1, Nonmandatory Appendix 17A-1 refers to the NFPA-232 for guidance on single storage facilities and containers. From my experience, you have to have an authorized agency actually "rate" your vault as being 2-hour fire-safe and you must have this documentation available for audit. I haven't actually read NFPA-232, so it may be worthwhile for you to do so.

In regards to temporary storage of records, my company does have a 2-hour rated file cabinet that we use for "in-process" safety-related and Code orders. The rule I use is once the document becomes an official QA record (i.e. the record has been approved by the proper authority), then it needs to be kept in the respective Sales Order file in our 2-hour rated file cabinet.

N

Norm Moreau

A little late to the game, sorry. The point about certifying the room is a good one. Who says or said it was a 2 hr rated room? With Fire King file cabinets there is a certificate and/or plate that says their rating. Whatever, it is make sure it ties to a professional organization such as NFPA.

Assuming that the rating is ok, then the answer to the other rooms being rated or file cabinets in the room being rated is, no they do not have to be fire-rated.

Regarding temporary storage. Rule-of-thumb if there are records that will not be completed by the end of the day, i.e., work in progress, like in-process inspections done, but final won't be complete until the next day or later - put them in temporary storage at the end of the day.

E

Echols

A little late to the game, sorry. The point about certifying the room is a good one. Who says or said it was a 2 hr rated room? With Fire King file cabinets there is a certificate and/or plate that says their rating. Whatever, it is make sure it ties to a professional organization such as NFPA.

Assuming that the rating is ok, then the answer to the other rooms being rated or file cabinets in the room being rated is, no they do not have to be fire-rated.

Regarding temporary storage. Rule-of-thumb if there are records that will not be completed by the end of the day, i.e., work in progress, like in-process inspections done, but final won't be complete until the next day or later - put them in temporary storage at the end of the day.
Yes, most fire-rated file cabinets do come with a plate inside the drawers showing the NFPA certification, and that would be acceptable. The one particular customer we audited used single vault (room) storage and was not using fire-rated cabinets inside that vault. They did not have any type of certification regarding the fire rating of their vault, thus they didn't meet the record storage requirements of NQA-1 Requirement 17. My understanding is that the vault room has to be fire-rated, not just the vault door.

Regarding work-in-progress records, it would be nice if we could collect all work-in-progress records at the end of every day and file them neatly in our fire-rated temporary storage cabinet, but this is simply not practical in our working environment. We have been audited to NQA-1 over 10 times this past year, and I have yet to have an auditor give us a finding in this area. In our procedure we have written that once a record has been reviewed and approved by the approving authority, it is then considered to be an official QA record and must be kept in our 2-Hour fire-rated cabinet until it is scanned into our records system. I think as long as you write in your procedures your definition for when a record becomes an "official" QA Record, you won't have any problems with most auditors.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Budgetary cost to obtain ASME NQA-1 Quality Program Certification Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 0
D NQA-1 Standard Applied to Services rather than Items for Nuclear Power Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 3
C Detailed NQA-1 Audit Checklist Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
C Commercial Grade Supplier Surveys - Not qualifed 10CFR50 Appendix B or NQA-1 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
R Storage Procedure per NQA 1 Storage and Handling Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Document Process Flow though the company - NQA-1 Supplier Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
R Customer requesting NQA-1 supplement, ZS-1 w/appendix, ZA-1 compliance Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
N NQA-1 List of Approved Manufacturers Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 11
R NQA-1 Quality Manual vs. Standard - How much should they differ Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
R Looking for NQA-1-2008 Audit Checklist Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 11
M ASME-NQA-1-2008 - Quality Assurance Requirements for Nuclear Facility Applications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
T 10 CFR 50 App B, NQA-1, NCA-3800 - Separate Manuals? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
T ASME NQA-1-1994 Standard Supplement 17S-1: Dual Storage Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
M ASME NQA-1 and Interface Control Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 34
M ASME NQA-1-1994 Standards - Struggling with the supplement references Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16
F Definition Malcom Baldrige NQA Vs European's EFQM Model Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
O Environmental conditions per ASME NQA-1 2000 QA records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
A Rights of Access per ASME/NQA-1 2000 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
A ISO 9001 vs. NQA-1 (Nuclear Quality Assurance) - Similarities between the two? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 26
SteelMaiden NQA-1-1989 - Nonconformances - Supplier Audit for a Nuclear Waste Application Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
T NQA Laboratory Services General Auditing Discussions 1
K ISO 13485 Design Requirement with respect to "component" manufacturers ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Packaging requirement ? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
C Isolation requirement for USB connection IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
C Creepage requirement Wearable ECG IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 6
V IATF 16949 GM CSR 10.2.4 Error-proofing requirement IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
D IS0 13485 - Design perspective to regulatory requirement. ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
CaliperJim Uncertainty and Accuracy Requirement Deviation Provision General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
Y Software to Manage IEC 62304 Traceability Requirement IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 3
Ajit Basrur Where to find a pagination requirement as "Page x of y"? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
T Logistics and 3PL regulatory requirement in India for Pharmaceuticals and Med devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
G ISO 9001 - when implementing customer requirement ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
H Regarding external surface temperature limit requirement for lab incubators. CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 2
H OTC DRUG Private Labelling Distributor: GMP REQUIREMENT ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 0
R UDI Requirement at home patient use EU Medical Device Regulations 2
L Definitions Requirement ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 10
D What distributor requirement should we (manufacturer) require from the Distributor? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
Y Brazilian lab requirement for medical device manufacture Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
J QTC Requirement as per API 6A-21st Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
J NADCAP Root Cause - Misinterpretation of Checklist Requirement Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
eldercare Multi-Site ISO/AS Certification Requirement for some sites ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
H FAI Requirement After Moving CNC Machine? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
S Biocompatibility requirement for electrode adapters Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
briteme4 AS9102 FAIR Requirement AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
B Put on escalation by customer? is there a requirement to notify registrar? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
E Translation requirement labels EU Medical Device Regulations 4
Ed Panek Does this FDA Requirement Apply to international (not USA) distributors for USA based manufacturing companies? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
A MDR requirement where unit of use packaging is too small for UDI carrier EU Medical Device Regulations 1
C Requirement for Revision of Standard in all Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K ROHs compliance requirement REACH and RoHS Conversations 10