NQA-1 Standard Applied to Services rather than Items for Nuclear Power

D

DonovanJr

Our company provides Rigging and Transport services for companies that are involved in the maintenance and construction of nuclear power facilities (including the Utilities themselves). To this end we have a QA program modeled after NQA-1 and invoke certain controls based on contract requirements for the design & procurement controls detailed in the NQA-1 Standard.

Over the years we have found that even for our non-nuclear jobs we are utilizing the same regulatory standards (AISI Steel Construction Manual, ASME B30 Standards etc.), Procurement and Product trace ability requirements identified as required in NQA-1 Sub-part 2.15 to control our designs and procurement activities.

Unfortunately our QA program is written specifically to define procedures to be used when a job is required to be NQA-1 Compliant (i.e. using the requirements of NQA-1 - Part 1) to control the job activities. Meaning special forms and additional approval processes in design activities, procurement activities and Fabrication activities. We have developed processes independent of these projects that we feel cover some of these requirements and have been performing those support activities regardless of a contract specifying NQA-1 controls.

We are working on making our QA program more all inclusive of these process and plan on pushing or eliminating the "uniqueness" of the processes & forms utilized and refer to these departmental procedures and policies, while defining in our manual how the NQA-1 requirements shall be incorporated into those procedures.

The question is since to show compliance with Part 1 we modeled our program after the NQA-1 standard and we now want to include a more global process approach to QA enforcement (similar to ISO), to what extent does compliance to Part 1 apply as we are a service company and only "handle" items designed and built by others for nuclear plants.

In Sub-Part 2.15 it specifically states: "Sub-Part 2.15 supplements the requirements of Part I and shall be used in conjunction with applicable Requirements of Part I when and to the extent specified by the organization invoking Sub-part 2.15. Half the time our contracts "invoke" us to have an NQA-1 compliant QA program and only detail any pass through inspection, testing and access rights for our procurement controls, but don't give any guidance on any other requirements of Part 1 in the contracts. (It's left up to interpretation)

Essentially we plan to maintain the same processes for a commercial project as a Nuclear project in terms of Design Control, Procurement Control, Item Control, Non-Conformance etc. and eliminate Quality Program specific procedures for these activities in lieu of departmental procedures to better streamline the support activities.

Sorry for the long rambling post, but looking for insight into what would need to be considered from Part 1 to support an NQA-1 acceptable QA program to our Customers requireing by Contract NQA-1 programs.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
I am reasonably familiar with NQA-1, both services and components. Yes, I've seen sub contractors get into issues with having two different levels of QA requirements depending on what the job is. To a certain extent, there are benefits to just going with NQA-1 for all work, but potentially this could add expense where ISO would be "sufficient". A 'graded approach' can be used, but it needs to be very transparent as to what standard you are following.

In my experience, when I've seen a group not following NQA-1 requirements, they likely weren't following ISO either.

Must admit, I don't really understand what is the question you are asking . . .

N

Norm Moreau

Been a while since I've been on this site, so my apologies if you've already gotten the answer you were looking for. Many of the companies I have worked with have NQA-1 programs that have integrated ISO 9001 into their program and reverse. What you might want to review is NQA-1-2012, Part IV, 4.1.1 Guidance to Modification of an ISO 9001:2008, Quality Management Systems Standard for Compliance With NQA-1–2008, Part I With the NQA-1a–2009 Addenda. I will also note that the 2017 edition will probably have a comparison to ISO 9001:2015.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
R NQA-1 Quality Manual vs. Standard - How much should they differ Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 7
T ASME NQA-1-1994 Standard Supplement 17S-1: Dual Storage Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
C Detailed NQA-1 Audit Checklist Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
C Commercial Grade Supplier Surveys - Not qualifed 10CFR50 Appendix B or NQA-1 Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
P NQA-1 Requirement 17 Quality Records - Facility Types and Temporary Storage Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 5
R Storage Procedure per NQA 1 Storage and Handling Requirements Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
S Document Process Flow though the company - NQA-1 Supplier Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
R Customer requesting NQA-1 supplement, ZS-1 w/appendix, ZA-1 compliance Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
N NQA-1 List of Approved Manufacturers Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 11
R Looking for NQA-1-2008 Audit Checklist Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 11
M ASME-NQA-1-2008 - Quality Assurance Requirements for Nuclear Facility Applications Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 8
T 10 CFR 50 App B, NQA-1, NCA-3800 - Separate Manuals? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 4
M ASME NQA-1 and Interface Control Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 34
M ASME NQA-1-1994 Standards - Struggling with the supplement references Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 16
F Definition Malcom Baldrige NQA Vs European's EFQM Model Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
O Environmental conditions per ASME NQA-1 2000 QA records? Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 4
A Rights of Access per ASME/NQA-1 2000 Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
A ISO 9001 vs. NQA-1 (Nuclear Quality Assurance) - Similarities between the two? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 26
SteelMaiden NQA-1-1989 - Nonconformances - Supplier Audit for a Nuclear Waste Application Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 6
T NQA Laboratory Services General Auditing Discussions 1
G What to do with correction factors overlooked by an accredited standard (6.4.11)? ISO 17025 related Discussions 5
G Copy of withdrawn ISO 9001:1994 Quality Management Standard ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Ed Panek Compliance with Standards? When a standard is updated/revised CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
Skooma Deburring and Tolerances - Is there a Standard for deburring or removing material? Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
B Purchasing AS9100D Standard in Japanese AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
O In addition to the standard, what other ISO 13485 sources do people recommend? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
B ASTM E18-2020 - Rockwell testing standard changes? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
M Informational RoHS Standard - EN 63000:2018 to replace EN 50581:2012 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 11
M IEC 60601-1 1988 - Device developed in 2012 with standard of 1988 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
D Recent changes to ISO 14971 - SOP required for managing standard revisions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
P Cenelec updated standard information CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
S Is there a standard for sample size during R&D phase Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 18
J Standard used to determine if check fixture gauge is acceptable Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 2
N Program or application for standard time measurement in industry from video surveillance? Human Factors and Ergonomics in Engineering 1
I Where can I beg, steal (just kidding of course) or borrow good training material on the ISO 9001:2015 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
K Question on whether IEC 60601-2-62 standard is applied IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 4
B Clause 5.1.12 of Technical Standard IEC 62304/A1 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
M Viable count Measurement ISO Standard Other Medical Device Related Standards 1
I When exactly was "competence" added to the ISO-9001 standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Managing specification changes on standard parts purchased through trading companies Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
MDD_QNA QR Code Standard ISO/IEC 15417:2007 - Does anyone use it? Other Medical Device Related Standards 3
S Average and standard deviation of Cumulative Data Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
R Standard Filter for Calibration Colorimeter ISO 17025 related Discussions 1
B Standard for Dielectric Strength Test IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
M Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) Testing - What Standard to Use? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 1
M Harmonised RED Standard ETSI EN 440 - Which Version? Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 0
R QMS Standard appilications on different Defense Sector Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 1
A Supplier Quality Standard vs Senior Management Direction Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 2
B To detect the non standard variable IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5