Numbering of Pages in a Revised Procedure

S

sun rise

Dear Friends

For QMS Documentation requirement

At our procedures updating

when we update documents and add new pages to the procedure the numbering will changed so we re-print the whole procedure

As the procedure is 20 page and at the footer of every page we wrote (number of page from the total number of pages=20), so if we add a new pages, the total number of pages will be 22.

could we make it easy by

if we will make edit for the page no. 15 and add two new page, Could we make them by (15 from 20) (15 a from 20) (15 b from 20) and then (16 from 20)

and we will mention this at our document control procedures

So we will not need to re-print the whole procedure just add a new 2 pages

Thanks

S

sun rise

friend, Our problem that any pages will be added to the porcedure will affect the sequences of number and will affect the total no. of pages.

because we are using paper system not electronic system

We need any way

to add new pages to a procedure, with out printing the whole procedure.

Just adding the new pages inside the procedure.

How ?

yodon

Leader
Super Moderator
I've seen an approach like that to slip-sheet a FEW pages but it sure gets to be unwieldy if you have more than a few changes OR if you have controlled copies of documents distributed.

I would personally avoid it if at all possible.

S

ssz102

i think this method is impossile to be realized unless your documents can be used and issued by electronic system; but the document need to distribute to workshop so you also printed these whole documents

M

Migre

For me, the pages should have a logical numerical flow. Adding letters as in your example has the potential to complicate what should be a very simple task. Why not reissue the procedure, replacing the 'page x of x' approach with the page numbers on their own, i.e. '1, 2, 3, 4, etc'. In doing this you won't be presented with this problem again and future amendments should be quick and easy to implement. If anyone wants to know how many pages there are in total, they can simply turn to the last page. It isn't essential to state this on every page.

S

sun rise

At these times (control of document procedure) state that any change at the document lead to update the issue no. and issue date

could we change these statment as follow
1. if the change will be more than 25% from the total page this will lead to update the issue no. and issue date

otherwise if the change will be in few no. of page less than 25%, only replace the pages which be edited without update the issue no. and issue date.

Only we will put a sign in the page which had been edited with (the date of change)

i.e.
if we have a document with 30 pages, with
issue no.: 1
issue date: 1/1/2012

if we will make change at pages no. of 15
we will make the changes at the pages no. 15 at the original documents and other distributed copies.

Only replace the old page with the new pages with the same issue no. and issue date
and put a sign near the part which had been edited show the date of change.

Is it OK?

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Dear Friends

For QMS Documentation requirement

At our procedures updating

when we update documents and add new pages to the procedure the numbering will changed so we re-print the whole procedure

As the procedure is 20 page and at the footer of every page we wrote (number of page from the total number of pages=20), so if we add a new pages, the total number of pages will be 22.

could we make it easy by

if we will make edit for the page no. 15 and add two new page, Could we make them by (15 from 20) (15 a from 20) (15 b from 20) and then (16 from 20)

and we will mention this at our document control procedures

So we will not need to re-print the whole procedure just add a new 2 pages

Thanks

What software is being used? Most word processing and spreadsheet programs have facilities to add a footer to a document that shows the correct number of pages automatically when pages are added or removed. Here's how to do it in Microsoft Word.

harry

Trusted Information Resource
friend, Our problem that any pages will be added to the porcedure will affect the sequences of number and will affect the total no. of pages.

because we are using paper system not electronic system ............

The problem should be easily overcome in a 'paper system'. If after revising page 5, you now have 2 extra pages, you can name the extra pages as page 5a & 5b. It is up to you to use your creativity and as long as it works for you and you are able to ensure that the document is still in 'control'. Check your procedures and update if necessary.

Y

yoosuf

Hi, sun rise,

I have documented our procedure manual in a different way. The procedures are sequentially numbered like QP/01, QP/02 and filed. Page number of each procedure starts from page 1 and it goes up to page 2 or page 3. If any change to a particular procedure, only that procedure will be reprinted. I have no page number problem while updating my procedure manual because next procedure starts from page number 1.

This may not be a good method but I am overcoming page number problem this way.

Please anybody suggest a better method.

Thanks

Z

zancky

may be the old MIL STD 490A (still available in internet) can help Sun_Rise:

"3.3 CHANGES AND REVISIONS
3.3.1 General. Specifications shall be corrected or updated when
necessary, by means of either a change or revision. A change is accomplished by the issue of a Specification Change Notice (SCN) and attached change pages.A revision consists of a complete reissue of the entire specification, all pages being identified by the same applicable revision letter. In general, corrections to only a small portion of a specification should be accomplished by a change, whereas extensive corrections requiring revision occur when:
(a) over 50 percent of the pages have been, or will be involved in the intended correction plus outstanding SCNS; or (b)a revision is economically more practicable than iss-ue of page changes by SCN.
As a general ruler no more than five (5) SCNS shall be issued against a particular revision (or original issue); when the sixth modification
or correction is required the outstanding changes should normally be incorporated in a revision of the specification (see 6.2) "

down to

"3.3.2.4.2. Page numbers. The changed pages furnished with an SCN shall be numbered with the same page numbers as the pages they If it is necessary to replace one page with more than replace. one, the additional pages shall carry the same number as the affected page plus a suffix letter in alphabetical order beginning Thus , the numbers of changed pages to change page 5, with “a” .would be 5, 5a, 5b, etc. If a page is deleted, that number shallbe omitted in the current page sequence."

and so on

Top Bottom