Objectives & Targets - Continuous Improvement (ISO14001)

A

arunmit

In 2010 when we first set up our EMS and were working towards getting ISO14001 certification we had set an objective to reduce electricity and gas usage by 10% in 2011. We did achieve this- infact reduced it by about 15%. So now that we are in 2012 we are looking for suggestions on how we can still have energy reduction as on objective but we have pretty much plateaued out and so I know we cannot do 10%. There are few more things we will do. Any suggestions on how to word an objective/target that says we will maintain the levels of 2011 and not sound like we are not continually improving
Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Reduced electricity and gas? If you can't do 10% can you do 8%, 6%, 2 %? 1/2 of 1%?

By the way here's a question I always ask and get the deer in the headlight look in return....

What does a bucket of electricity (KWh) do to water or fish when you pour it into a river? What is the environmental impact of electricity?

Electrical consumption is not really an aspect, think about the question above.

When you do electrical and even gas you gotta remember and Objective has to improve ENVIRONMENTAL performance.

Use electricty again, but now say that by reducing consumption you are going to help reduce GHG or coal/oil consumption, ash generation...Something along those lines (You can get figures on KWh vs coal/oil/gas consumption from your power company) The same works for Gas.

A

arunmit

Reduced electricity and gas? If you can't do 10% can you do 8%, 6%, 2 %? 1/2 of 1%?

By the way here's a question I always ask and get the deer in the headlight look in return....

What does a bucket of electricity (KWh) do to water or fish when you pour it into a river? What is the environmental impact of electricity?

Electrical consumption is not really an aspect, think about the question above.

When you do electrical and even gas you gotta remember and Objective has to improve ENVIRONMENTAL performance.

Use electricty again, but now say that by reducing consumption you are going to help reduce GHG or coal/oil consumption, ash generation...Something along those lines (You can get figures on KWh vs coal/oil/gas consumption from your power company) The same works for Gas.
Hi Randy,
Thanks for your response. I had attended a training session given by you in TX in 2010- so you'll be gald to know that I learnt well:) I actually did word our Objective as follows:
"Reduce greenhouse gas emissions- Decrease electrical use by 10%"
When I present our onbjectives to the company folks I generally emphasize that 75% of electricity in the world today is still generated by burning fossil fuels like coal which leads to ozone depletion. Not sure if that number is accurate anymore but its still probably close.
I will probably put the target at about 2% reduction so we can gettry and capture the remaining improvememnts that may be possiblein the plant- power factor correction and additional servo motors.

Arun

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Great advice from Randy and it looks like you have a very good grasp of the subject. One thought I would offer (and I don't know what type of industry you are in) but if you get busy, most companies will use more electric. So rather than having an absolute figure, think about 'scaling' it e.g. reduce by 2%/unit made. That way you can have business growth and still be reducing your impact.

K

keres

You have a goal of 10% and have reached 15. Your next goal can be 1%. This is not in contradiction with the principle of continuous improvement, because if you perform your goal will be achieved improvement of at least 1% versus last period. The rates of improvement are greater when things are bad. In time and the improvement rate decreased.

somashekar

Staff member
Super Moderator
Did you see this Arunmit...
So rather than having an absolute figure, think about 'scaling' it e.g. reduce by 2%/unit made.
Did you see this Arunmit...
Can you show an increase in your output for every unit of electricity used ?
Does not matter how small an increase it is, small is still a beautiful environmental performance.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
As usual on a discussion about goals and targets, I would like to point out that a SPC control chart can be used to express a target, without having to figure out is the "right answer" 1%, 2%, 5%, whatever. The key is that if your process is stable (which the SPC chart will help you determine and/or achieve), then do you need to improve? If so, make the declaration you need to improve, do the improvement, and see if the SPC detects a significant shift. The significant shift against the trend rules then becomes proof of the improvement.

Dr. Deming's 14 points included elimination of numerical targets. The use of SPC allows you to understand the difference between a random, lucky result, and one that probably required a real shift in the process. The goal statement then becomes "Achieve a statistically significant improving trend as determined by the use of SPC".

I have a paper out there (and I think a copy is here on the Cove) called "Tyrrany of Targets" with more details and case studies.

RoxaneB

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Great advice from Randy and it looks like you have a very good grasp of the subject. One thought I would offer (and I don't know what type of industry you are in) but if you get busy, most companies will use more electric. So rather than having an absolute figure, think about 'scaling' it e.g. reduce by 2%/unit made. That way you can have business growth and still be reducing your impact.
I think the "energy consumed per unit manufactured" is a great metric! It allows for capacity growth of the business while still maintaining a dedicated effort towards an environmental (and financial) objective. It also allows for a year-over-year comparison.

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi Randy,
Thanks for your response. I had attended a training session given by you in TX in 2010- so you'll be gald to know that I learnt well:) I actually did word our Objective as follows:
"Reduce greenhouse gas emissions- Decrease electrical use by 10%"
When I present our onbjectives to the company folks I generally emphasize that 75% of electricity in the world today is still generated by burning fossil fuels like coal which leads to ozone depletion. Not sure if that number is accurate anymore but its still probably close.
I will probably put the target at about 2% reduction so we can gettry and capture the remaining improvememnts that may be possiblein the plant- power factor correction and additional servo motors.

Arun
Oh krap, my past is catching up we me again:eek:

You might be in the same pickle as many other folks when squeezing the environmental objective "orange"...there is only so much juice.

I was just with a company...(sorry, can't say who) that has taken upon themselves attacking CO2 as an environmental objective. Now mind you, they do not generate through direct activities any reportable/measurable levels of CO2, but what they are doing is offsetting CO2 by taking upon themselves a "re-forestation project"...They are going to plant a gazillion trees using schoolkids from the local districts as part of their own school environmental projects supporting Earthday in their area.....They are reaching out taking into consideration the "views of interested parties" and looking to offset the indirect CO2 emissions they may be responsible for...AIN'T THAT COOL?

When looking for objectives there is absolutely nothing that mandates that you stay "in-the-box"! Be creative, take ownership and have some fun at the same time.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Identifying Objectives & Targets for Quality Control ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
S Creating goals and objectives with targets and measurables for self-evaluations Management Review Meetings and related Processes 2
R OHS (Occupational Health & Safety) Objectives and Targets Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 15
I ISO 14001 Clause 4.3.3 Objectives, Targets and Programme(s) clarification ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
R Setting Targets (Objectives) for Customer Satisfaction ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
K Energy Reduction Objectives and Targets help ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 2
B Environmental Objectives and Targets for Job Shop Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
O Objectives, Targets and Programs (OTP) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
S Objectives and Targets - Assessing a rate of achieving a goal Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
P ISO 9001 Company Quality Objectives and Targets - Communication to Employees ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
N Measurable Targets and Objectives - Envelope Printing Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
S Differences Between KPIs and Objectives/Targets ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Why OHSAS 18001:2007 makes no reference to 'Targets' associated with Objectives? Occupational Health & Safety Management Standards 24
P EMS Objectives not meeting the Targets - Audits and Compliance ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 4
P Two tier objectives - ISO 14001 Objectives and Targets ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 10
P Objectives, Targets and KPI for COP, Support and Management Processes IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
K Targets and Objectives - How to Measure Targets and Objectives Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
M Means to Achieve Objectives and Targets - ISO14001 4.3.4 Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 1
T EMS Objectives, Targets and Programme(s) - I have put together a list for critique Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 10
M Setting Objectives and Targets for the EMS - Is continual improvement required? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 23
S Informational Examples of Quality Objectives and Targets ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 50
I Policy & Aspects, Objectives, Targets - Listing your aspects right in the policy Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 28
A Process Measures - Linkages to Objectives and Targets ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
J EMS objectives & targets for project-based organization Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 2
Marc ISO 14001 EMS - Objectives and Targets in Small Service Companies Service Industry Specific Topics 8
A Legal and Other Requirements Relating to Objectives and Targets Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 12
A ISO 14001 EMS Objectives, Targets and Programmes Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 5
V Quality Objectives - ISO 9001 2015 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 26
I Quality Policy and Objectives examples Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
M Specific Values of Quality Objectives Benchmarking 7
Q Quality Objectives Not Met - Resources promised by investors ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V What plans have been put in place to achieve quality objectives? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
A Objectives in Quality Policy ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
K ISO 13485 section 5.3 Quality Policy - No framework for establishing and reviewing quality objectives ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S QUALITY OBJECTIVEs for third party garments factory inspection ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
R ISO 13485 Software validation procedure and Quality Objectives Monitoring wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
F Quality Objectives - Where in the QMS Quality Objectives should be located ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
Farley.0 QMS Sales Goals & Quality Objectives Manufacturing and Related Processes 22
Q Annual SWOT for 4.1? I plan to revise quality objectives and strategic route ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
K Setting Quality Objectives (for the first time) AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 17
V Discussion of ISO 9001:2015 - "Quality Objectives" term ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
P Quality objectives - must they include CAPA and internal audit topic? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 28
A ISMS implementation - ISO 27001: 2013 Company Objectives IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 1
R ISO 9001:2015 - KPI (Key Performance Indicators) vs. Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Quality Department Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
S Process Measurable Objectives Imported Legacy Blogs 3
K Where in the quality manual do I put our Quality Objectives and our Quality Policy Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 19
R ISO 13485:2016 - Quality Objectives Regulatory Requirement Examples ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Business Continuity - ISO 22301 BCMS Strategic and Tactical Objectives Business Continuity & Resiliency Planning (BCRP) 2
Q Additional KPI to Top Management beside Quality Objectives ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6