Objectives & Targets - Continuous Improvement (ISO14001)

A

arunmit

In 2010 when we first set up our EMS and were working towards getting ISO14001 certification we had set an objective to reduce electricity and gas usage by 10% in 2011. We did achieve this- infact reduced it by about 15%. So now that we are in 2012 we are looking for suggestions on how we can still have energy reduction as on objective but we have pretty much plateaued out and so I know we cannot do 10%. There are few more things we will do. Any suggestions on how to word an objective/target that says we will maintain the levels of 2011 and not sound like we are not continually improving
Thanks

Randy

Super Moderator
Reduced electricity and gas? If you can't do 10% can you do 8%, 6%, 2 %? 1/2 of 1%?

By the way here's a question I always ask and get the deer in the headlight look in return....

What does a bucket of electricity (KWh) do to water or fish when you pour it into a river? What is the environmental impact of electricity?

Electrical consumption is not really an aspect, think about the question above.

When you do electrical and even gas you gotta remember and Objective has to improve ENVIRONMENTAL performance.

Use electricty again, but now say that by reducing consumption you are going to help reduce GHG or coal/oil consumption, ash generation...Something along those lines (You can get figures on KWh vs coal/oil/gas consumption from your power company) The same works for Gas.

A

arunmit

Reduced electricity and gas? If you can't do 10% can you do 8%, 6%, 2 %? 1/2 of 1%?

By the way here's a question I always ask and get the deer in the headlight look in return....

What does a bucket of electricity (KWh) do to water or fish when you pour it into a river? What is the environmental impact of electricity?

Electrical consumption is not really an aspect, think about the question above.

When you do electrical and even gas you gotta remember and Objective has to improve ENVIRONMENTAL performance.

Use electricty again, but now say that by reducing consumption you are going to help reduce GHG or coal/oil consumption, ash generation...Something along those lines (You can get figures on KWh vs coal/oil/gas consumption from your power company) The same works for Gas.
Hi Randy,
Thanks for your response. I had attended a training session given by you in TX in 2010- so you'll be gald to know that I learnt well:) I actually did word our Objective as follows:
"Reduce greenhouse gas emissions- Decrease electrical use by 10%"
When I present our onbjectives to the company folks I generally emphasize that 75% of electricity in the world today is still generated by burning fossil fuels like coal which leads to ozone depletion. Not sure if that number is accurate anymore but its still probably close.
I will probably put the target at about 2% reduction so we can gettry and capture the remaining improvememnts that may be possiblein the plant- power factor correction and additional servo motors.

Arun

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Great advice from Randy and it looks like you have a very good grasp of the subject. One thought I would offer (and I don't know what type of industry you are in) but if you get busy, most companies will use more electric. So rather than having an absolute figure, think about 'scaling' it e.g. reduce by 2%/unit made. That way you can have business growth and still be reducing your impact.

K

keres

You have a goal of 10% and have reached 15. Your next goal can be 1%. This is not in contradiction with the principle of continuous improvement, because if you perform your goal will be achieved improvement of at least 1% versus last period. The rates of improvement are greater when things are bad. In time and the improvement rate decreased.

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Did you see this Arunmit...
So rather than having an absolute figure, think about 'scaling' it e.g. reduce by 2%/unit made.
Did you see this Arunmit...
Can you show an increase in your output for every unit of electricity used ?
Does not matter how small an increase it is, small is still a beautiful environmental performance.

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
As usual on a discussion about goals and targets, I would like to point out that a SPC control chart can be used to express a target, without having to figure out is the "right answer" 1%, 2%, 5%, whatever. The key is that if your process is stable (which the SPC chart will help you determine and/or achieve), then do you need to improve? If so, make the declaration you need to improve, do the improvement, and see if the SPC detects a significant shift. The significant shift against the trend rules then becomes proof of the improvement.

Dr. Deming's 14 points included elimination of numerical targets. The use of SPC allows you to understand the difference between a random, lucky result, and one that probably required a real shift in the process. The goal statement then becomes "Achieve a statistically significant improving trend as determined by the use of SPC".

I have a paper out there (and I think a copy is here on the Cove) called "Tyrrany of Targets" with more details and case studies.

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Great advice from Randy and it looks like you have a very good grasp of the subject. One thought I would offer (and I don't know what type of industry you are in) but if you get busy, most companies will use more electric. So rather than having an absolute figure, think about 'scaling' it e.g. reduce by 2%/unit made. That way you can have business growth and still be reducing your impact.

I think the "energy consumed per unit manufactured" is a great metric! It allows for capacity growth of the business while still maintaining a dedicated effort towards an environmental (and financial) objective. It also allows for a year-over-year comparison.

Randy

Super Moderator
Hi Randy,
Thanks for your response. I had attended a training session given by you in TX in 2010- so you'll be gald to know that I learnt well:) I actually did word our Objective as follows:
"Reduce greenhouse gas emissions- Decrease electrical use by 10%"
When I present our onbjectives to the company folks I generally emphasize that 75% of electricity in the world today is still generated by burning fossil fuels like coal which leads to ozone depletion. Not sure if that number is accurate anymore but its still probably close.
I will probably put the target at about 2% reduction so we can gettry and capture the remaining improvememnts that may be possiblein the plant- power factor correction and additional servo motors.

Arun

Oh krap, my past is catching up we me again:eek:

You might be in the same pickle as many other folks when squeezing the environmental objective "orange"...there is only so much juice.

I was just with a company...(sorry, can't say who) that has taken upon themselves attacking CO2 as an environmental objective. Now mind you, they do not generate through direct activities any reportable/measurable levels of CO2, but what they are doing is offsetting CO2 by taking upon themselves a "re-forestation project"...They are going to plant a gazillion trees using schoolkids from the local districts as part of their own school environmental projects supporting Earthday in their area.....They are reaching out taking into consideration the "views of interested parties" and looking to offset the indirect CO2 emissions they may be responsible for...AIN'T THAT COOL?

When looking for objectives there is absolutely nothing that mandates that you stay "in-the-box"! Be creative, take ownership and have some fun at the same time.

Top Bottom