Obligation to accept customer audits?

sistoiv

Involved In Discussions
Good morning.
I begin by saying one opinion of mine: a lot of quality consultants or quality auditor are too theoretical men. They forget that companies have to bill and make profits, first of all. And they often forget that certifications and ISO standards are private rules not laws neither public regulations.
Finished introduction.
What do you think about a supplier (certified) which does not allow customers to perform audits?
OK, it's not "fine" but a customer is not a public inspection body: if a supplier does not want to be audited by customers, a customer cannot force him.
The only thing it can do is stop sending orders (if it can)
Am I right?

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Jean_B

Trusted Information Resource
Refuse pure compliance audits.
Allow customer specific audits like on special production processes, contracts or agreements, specific persisting issues such as yield or field failure.

I'm not in automotive but I think someone on elsmar once said they're hard to refuse but you can bill for effort spent or opportunity lost from your side, depending on whether you want that kind of adverse relationship with your partners.

Tagin

What do you think about a supplier (certified) which does not allow customers to perform audits?
I would not trust the supplier, unless they could give me a very good reason (e.g., because its assigned top-secret status by the government).

Hendor

Involved In Discussions
In my case also, in the specific requirements of my customer it is defined that they can come to audit on site, when they see it necessary. In fact, 2 of my customer even have an audit program where my Customer A (every 2 years) and Customer B (Every year, and the result of this audit is reflected in the score card of a whole year)

Refusing to be audited by a Customer is very difficult, some also audit you in the initial phases of the commercial relationship and it comes by contract. So the only thing one can do is postpone dates

Additional:
We also in the requirements manual for my suppliers, that when necessary, we will audit them on site.

Golfman25

Is it a one or two martini audit? :)

Not sure why a supplier would refuse a customer audit. For us, it's just another contact point for customer relations. We rarely have any problems, so we don't meet the quality guys often.

Johnny Quality

Involved In Discussions
How big is your organisation?

I've just thought about this and my organisation is about 30 people. I wonder what would happen if I asked the likes of 3M for an audit...

Ninja

Looking for Reality
If it helps...I was in the opposite situation from JohnnyQuality ... a 55 person site (vendor) when a Tier I customer demanded an audit (Tier I never "asks").

We said OK...then at the end of the audit they tried to schedule the next "yearly audit"...we said no to that one, and negotiated how often was actually reasonable to audit, and what the scope of the audit would be should it exist.
Turns out, they always (tried to) come for the audit in early December because we had a much better mall and they wanted to do their Christmas shopping. Yeah....well...NO, you don't disrupt my company so you can go shopping on your company's dime.

Work together with the customer to define what is reasonable...if they want to disrupt 15% of your personnel for three days every year, figure out a nice way to say "no"...or limit the scope to one person for one day...or raise their prices to balance it.

Do this by finding out what they are trying to achieve with the audit...are they concerned about failures on their side, or are they checking a box on their checklist that no one really cares about?

sistoiv

Involved In Discussions
Thanks everyone, good opinions.

To those who have mentioned the CSR claiming the obligation of auditing for the supplier, I reply that the CSR can be modified or rejected by the supplier.

The reasons can be the most diverse (the owner of the company does not want, it is not part of the group's policy, we are too big for you, we are too little for you, we don't speach your language, the authorization of the parent company is required, we do not have time, we do not care, it is our business, your sector is not relevant to us, we have not signed anything, we ask the lawyer if we are obliged, because "no, we don't, thanks"...).

Basically what I meant is obvious but often forgotten by many "experts": a supplier is not obliged to be audited by a customer otherwise he has approved this requirement. And even if he has approved this requirement, he can change his position later every time.

In many circumstances, customers give up because they need that supplier. It is ridiculous to think otherwise.

Ninja

Looking for Reality
You are correct in some or all of your assertions (correct in all the ones that I know true vs false in)...

IMO, these words should be fought against any and every time they show up anywhere in a business relationship. These words and their synonyms (must, shall, ought, should, ... ) make more enemies and break more relationships than any others.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
JoCam Medical Device Recalls - Manufacturer's obligation for covering cost EU Medical Device Regulations 17
K Obligation for Distributor in MDD/MDR CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
R Product life cycle and compliance obligation ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 6
Q Product Instruction for Use Manual (IFU) - Obligation to list the standard used 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
cscalise Legal Obligation to report ISO 13485 Finding to FDA? Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
S Audit Notification - Is it a obligation to notify people or just good practice Internal Auditing 18
A Manufacturer Obligation to Declare the Lifetime of its Medical Device? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
R Countries that accept 510k approvals - Class II nonsterile medical device Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
M Informational USFDA – Refuse to Accept Policy for 510(k)s Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
B Our NB doesn't accept new clients for MDSAP Canada Medical Device Regulations 8
M Accept/Reject (Ac/Re) Numbers (ISO 2859-1) Confusion Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 3
R FDA 510K - Does the FDA accept the testing report from other countries? Other US Medical Device Regulations 1
C Does Japan accept the Bracketing Approach for Process Validation Japan Medical Device Regulations 1
J Double-Retest of Nonconforming Material to Accept the Material Nonconformance and Corrective Action 5
WCHorn Changing Sampling Accept Number to Zero, Arbitrarily AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
S Refuse to Accept Policy - IVD - Clinical Testing 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
P When do parts have to be released? When we accept order, buy from CM or when we ship? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 2
S Why do customers refuse to accept no-quotes? Manufacturing and Related Processes 25
C Will Ford accept AS9100 certification in place of ISO9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
R EU-countries which don't accept English user manuals and require national translation CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 9
Z The new FDA RTA (Refuse to Accept) Guidance Other US Medical Device Regulations 5
B Countries that Accept Canadian Medical Device Approvals Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 7
L Does Health Canada accept the results of Clinical Trials conducted in the U.S.? Canada Medical Device Regulations 5
T What does the Gage R&R results tell about my Accept/Reject Decisions? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
J Who should accept the samples of Customer Complaint products ? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
O Sampling Plans for a Medical Device - What to use for my Accept and Reject Number? AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 3
J Gage R&R Study by Attribute (ACCEPT-REJECT-INVESTIGATE) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 5
S Does Health Canada accept symbols in labeling? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
Le Chiffre Health Canada to accept Summary Technical Documentation (STED) for Class III & IV ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
T Inspection Record Requirements per 7.4.3 - Accept the material in JobBOSS Records and Data - Quality, Legal and Other Evidence 8
S Is there an Accept/Reject Criteria for 100% Inspection? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 9
Manix Electrical Crimp Experts - Should we accept this? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 7
S Calculating an AQL given a sample size, accept/reject numbers, and lot size AQL - Acceptable Quality Level 2
R Would you accept company's counter offer to stay on? Career and Occupation Discussions 28
P Rules to Accept Material Returns Nonconformance and Corrective Action 6
J Specification of Raw Materials - Can I accept one based on an earlier Revision? Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 1
Marc Delphi Workers Accept Pay Cuts World News 0
L Internal threads - Maximum / Minor accept/reject diameter inspection Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
J Can I accept TS16949 or QS-9000 to cover accredited laboratory documentation? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
L Using Cpk index for Accept / Reject Decisions Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 1
D Question regarding customer feedback process ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
D Change Approval Requirements - Does every change need formal customer approval? Design and Development of Products and Processes 17
B Retention Samples when Customer Leaves Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 1
M Email Template that go to a customer and then get returned to us for RMA/Warranty Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
B FCA US Customer Specific IATF 16949- Critical Characteristics 8.6.2 Customer and Company Specific Requirements 0
D ISO 13485 8.2.1 and 8.2.2 - Customer Feedback and Customer Complaints ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
J Customer Complaint Response 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
D IATF16949 - Interpretation of Customer Requirements clauses Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 2
D IATF16949 7.5.3.2.1 Record Retention - Our Product or Customer Product? Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 1