Occupational Health and Safety Auditor Certification through RABQSA or IRCA

B

BSMITH

Does anyone have any experience applying to be an Occupational Health and Safety Lead Auditor or Auditor through RABQSA or IRCA? If so, how did you deal with the issue of having a witnessed audit when there are very limited certified Lead Auditors in the U.S.?

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: Occupational Health and Safety Auditor Certification

That's the reason there are so few Leads. I more than qualify, but the costs and availability of folks keeps me from proceeding forward.

Look at the number of USA EMS-LA's as opposed to the other countries like Australia under the RABQSA, you'll see a similar trend. Quite a few of the ones were "grandfathered" or got in before the witness requirement came into effect (like me for instance).

B

BSMITH

Re: Occupational Health and Safety Auditor Certification

Randy,

I was grandfathered in as an EMS Lead Auditor as well (2000); from what I can tell, the problem is that neither RABQSA nor IRCA will allow an EMS Lead Auditor to serve as a witnessing Lead Auditor for OHSMS Lead Auditor certification, either through the "old" qualification-based system or the "new" competency-based system. I have an e-mail question into RABQSA right now on that issue. I have suggested that they allow Responsible Care 14001 Lead Auditors and/or EMS Lead Auditors with OHSMS audit experience to serve as witnessing lead auditors.

RABQSA has 0 certified OHSMS Lead Auditors in the U.S. and IRCA has 1 (in Florida).

Randy

Super Moderator
Fat chance of us or anyone else getting an IRCA or RABQSA OHS Lead anytime soon.

I'll just stick with the OHSMS Lead status my employer has awarded me.

What's really sad is when I'm asked by one of my many students how long it will take to become a certified Lead and I tell them that it will probably never happen. I then explain the witness stuff and the other hoop jumping that has to happen. Talk about dejected looks:(

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Randy said:
What's really sad is when I'm asked by one of my many students how long it will take to become a certified Lead and I tell them that it will probably never happen. I then explain the witness stuff and the other hoop jumping that has to happen. Talk about dejected looks:(
IRCA's requirements are not that unreasonable. When it comes to "supervised audits" for the grade of OH&S Lead Auditor, it states:

For OH&S Lead Auditor grade:
In addition to the audit requirement for the OH&S Auditor grade listed above, you must have completed 3 acceptable audits as the leader of an audit team which included at least one other auditor.​
The duration of the 3 lead audits must not be less than 15 days, 10 days of which must have been acquired on-site. Although we recommend you should complete all of the audits under the direction and guidance
3 of an auditor competent as a team leader (currently certified as a lead auditor or who has equivalent competence), we acknowledge that for many auditors this will be very difficult and costly to arrange. Consequently, we will accept a minimum of 1 lead audit under these conditions. We may require this team leader to attest to your competence to lead an audit team.

A

aldousau

Dear Gentleman,

I have already certified to OHSAS Lead Auditor by QSA (now merge as RABQSA) in year 2002 in Hong Kong. They have a selective on accredited program or non-accredited program. However, due to my past expereince, since I am the first person to be certified. I cannot find any other OHS auditor. Finally, two complete audits were supervised by experience IATCA (now change as IPC) Lead Auditor. RABQSA accepted the supervisor report. And RABQSA have already approved some Skill Examiner. You can ask the name list from RABQSA and looking forward the supervision in US. For IRCA, they have similar requirements but seem that you need other Lead Auditor Grade auditor be your supervisor.

Best Wishes,
Aldous

B

BSMITH

aldousau said:
Dear Gentleman,

I have already certified to OHSAS Lead Auditor by QSA (now merge as RABQSA) in year 2002 in Hong Kong. They have a selective on accredited program or non-accredited program. However, due to my past expereince, since I am the first person to be certified. I cannot find any other OHS auditor. Finally, two complete audits were supervised by experience IATCA (now change as IPC) Lead Auditor. RABQSA accepted the supervisor report. And RABQSA have already approved some Skill Examiner. You can ask the name list from RABQSA and looking forward the supervision in US. For IRCA, they have similar requirements but seem that you need other Lead Auditor Grade auditor be your supervisor.

Best Wishes,
Aldous

Since IATCA/IPC doesn't have an established OHSAS auditor certification program (one is under development), was the experienced Lead Auditor a certified EMS Lead Auditor?

A

aldousau

Yes, at that time, My supervisor audit was conduct by IPC certified QMS auditor.

Top Bottom