SBS - the best value in QMS software

Occurrence Ranking: What is the basis for 1 in 1,000,000?

C

cavrdave

I have a customer holding me to the AIAG Manual word for word. One of there complaints is my low occurrence ranking but our supplier is only supplying 480 pieces/parts per year. So it got me wondering where does 1 in 1,000,000 come from? Or more clearly, how often does they 1,000,000 occur? There are some companies that manufacturer that quantity of parts of couple months and there are companies that do that every couple years. Or does time not come into this equation? Thanks for your help and time.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Staff member
Super Moderator
I suspect it is the same reason that OSHA chose to calculate injuries per 200,000 hours. Counting defects per million gives you a number that should just be a few digits long, especially if you are anywhere near "six sigma capable".

Easier to say the defect rate is 25 per million, rather than 0.0000025 (do I have the right amount of zeroes there?) or 25,000 per trillion.

Last edited:

Ron Rompen

Trusted Information Resource
I have run into this arguement/discussion a few times with customers (and auditors) over the years. The best response that I have been able to come up with is based on statistical process capability - if you have a stable process then it is (relatively) easy to determine the statistically probable number of defects, either in percent or in parts per million. Use that to determine your occurence rate.
With that being said, the PFMEA manual (pg 92) states very clearly "A consistent occurence ranking system should be used to ensure continuity. The occurrence ranking number is a relative ranking within the scope of the FMEA and may not reflect the actual likelihood of occurrence"
You don't have to use the OCC table in the manual, and you don't have to be tied strictly to 1 ppm for an occurrence of 2 - it is only a guideline.

A

AeQuitas

Well if you dont have similar products and not experienced a failure with the type of root cause given, then i like to state 2. Never choose 1. As FMEA is an continuously and ongoing process, later if you face NC?s that is based on the root cause given, you can raise the value and make sure there is some kind of history log in your FMEA.

And yes FMEA is still there to prevent failures, but for which price?

Some potential and theoretical failure modes based on their root causes can sometimes really be hard to set any value on it. The most common failure is anyway that people spending to much time with discussing the values instead of focusing on keeping it simple in the beginning and listen to feelings.

Also some customer don't understand the FMEA process and bomb you with RPN targets that do not really make sense as RPN is only a helping tool to organize your FMEA. I would rather look at how severity is placed in relationship to occurrence. Also i like to focus to eliminate human error factors first, while i often see that people rather invest $$ in detection.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
blile Increasing PFMEA occurrence ranking after non-conformance FMEA and Control Plans 4
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce FMEA Occurrence and Detection Ranking after corrective action taken for customer complaints? FMEA and Control Plans 6
N Process FMEA Occurrence Ranking for New Process FMEA and Control Plans 3
K Probability of Occurrence Ranking for Low Volume Manufacturing vs High Volume FMEA and Control Plans 11
G FMEA Occurrence Ranking - Based upon what? FMEA and Control Plans 6
Y Severity, Occurrence and Detection FMEA Ranking Tables - Guidelines? FMEA and Control Plans 8
B FMEA Occurrence Ranking in Microelectronics FMEA and Control Plans 24
K Severity Occurrence Detection Ranking Scale - 1 to 10 vs. 1 to 5 FMEA and Control Plans 20
J FMEA - Method of Determining the Occurrence Ranking FMEA and Control Plans 4
Sravan Manchikanti Software Risk Management & probability of occurrence as per IEC 62304 IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
D How to fill a Process FMEA - Three columns - Severity, occurrence and Detection FMEA and Control Plans 16
R DFMEA Severity 9-10 with Occurrence 3 and Detection 3 - Actions FMEA and Control Plans 3
B ISO 14001:2015 Aspects and Impacts: Haze occurrence (Supplier related) ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
K 4th Edition AIAG FMEA Occurrence, Severity and Detection Criteria for Plastics FMEA and Control Plans 1
N Hazard Probability of Occurrence Definition ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 11
E Risk Management selection Probability of Occurrence and Severity ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 17
P Occurrence Rating in AIAG FMEA Manual 4th Edition FMEA and Control Plans 5
D If a control operator add a photo as a visual aid, can you improve Occurrence? FMEA and Control Plans 12
X AIAG FMEA Occurrence Criteria Issue FMEA and Control Plans 6
M FMEA Occurrence Rating for Customer Claims (Complaints) FMEA and Control Plans 2
D Severity or Occurrence? Performing an FMEA on Motorcycle Operation FMEA and Control Plans 9
B PFMEA Focus - Use of historical data to generate an Occurrence Number FMEA and Control Plans 4
L Gap in FMEA Occurrence Rating Standard FMEA and Control Plans 2
D Occurrence virtually impossible (thus low occurrence number) - FMEA Question Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 7
L FMEA Occurrence, Severity and Detection Criteria FMEA and Control Plans 3
A Occurrence in DFMEA - Occurrence of what? FMEA and Control Plans 4
I Ford FMEA requirements for Severity and Occurrence Rankings Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
V In Design FMEA, how to give Occurrence Rating? FMEA and Control Plans 4
P Assigning Occurrence level in FMEA ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 7
U Frequency of Incidents (written-up occurrence of a specific error) Chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 9
P Prevent Occurrence of Nonconformance: Its implementation effectiveness Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 20
T ISO Occurrence Form CG00010196 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
V Emphasizing Severity more than Occurrence and Detection vs. Overall RPN FMEA and Control Plans 20
M Determining Occurrence in a DFMEA - Automotive IC board FMEA and Control Plans 8
K Change in Occurrence for Low Volume Assembly Process FMEA (PFMEA) FMEA and Control Plans 8
B What is the meaning of the Occurrence in the DFMEA (Design FMEA)? FMEA and Control Plans 8
R One time only occurrence - 01:02:03AM on 04/05/06 Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 15
C Determine occurrence but no data is available FMEA and Control Plans 17
E FMEA Severity, Occurrence, and Detection Rating - I am in need of some examples FMEA and Control Plans 19
Q Process FMEA - Need help to clarify O (Occurrence) and D (Detection) rankings FMEA and Control Plans 26
C Looking for a table that quantifies Likelihood/Probability of occurrence of a hazard ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
R PFMEA - RPN - Severity, Occurrence and Detection - Which one does not change? FMEA and Control Plans 67
Ashok sunder Is it possible to reduce Risk likelihood and impact Post control Ranking after corrective action taken for risk? FMEA and Control Plans 1
K Process FMEA Ranking Table for for Landing Door of an Elevator FMEA and Control Plans 7
B Ranking Continual Improvement Projects Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 5
O PFMEA - Reducing Severity (S) Ranking - Manufacturing Process Design Changes FMEA and Control Plans 4
M Ranking Changes for Non-"Mobile-Friendly" Sites Forum News and General Information 10
M Changing FMEA template to include Detection Ranking for the PFMEA FMEA and Control Plans 2
C How to evaluate the Detection Ranking of a new Design Control FMEA and Control Plans 1
K FMECA (Critical Analysis) Format and Ranking Table AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 6