OEE - Is there a company that offers a better display than others? And how effective

P

palmer

We are going to try OEE to tackle downtime in our facility. We will trial it at one machine and see what comes from it. We will do this manually at first to see it's effectiveness before we get a display.

How effective can OEE be in a "job shop" atmosphere? Are there any charts, programs, etc... that can be used for tracking OEE?

Are there other companies besides Vorne that offer displays for this or are they worth the effort to install?:confused:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Re: OEE - is there a company that offers a better display than others? and how effect

I Googled this and didn't find anything worthwhile. Does anyone else have something to offer?

antoine.dias

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: OEE - is there a company that offers a better display than others? and how effect

Excel works fine for us.

Best regards,

Antoine

W

wmarhel

I like Vorne's boards, but be careful with implementing OEE as it can easily get carried away. I would focus on those machines where capacity has been exceed or is struggling to meet the necessary requirements. It is of little benefit other than an academic exercise to spend time collecting a lot of data on a workcell or piece of equipment that fulfilling the requirements.

OEE is your drill down tool to find causes of variation and target the area of improvement. Personally, trying to calculating OEE for all the equipment in a facility amounts to a big waste unto itself.

Just as OEE is typically associated with equipment, I've used it to track struggling workcells and assembly lines with good results. It is the application of the method that really matters.

Wayne

P

palmer

Vorne is the only one that I have found. They sure put on a production for their product and data that they give you.

We are trying to track machine speed, quality by good product vs quality issues, and down time. Our biggest is down time. But we rely on the operators to document it and they are not consistent in listing it.

An example, a test piece is run for ASTM, one operator lists as set up time and another as down time. We are working on getting everyone on the same page.

D

Dacca

OEE will not give you any magic benefits. It's a tool for tracking performance and hopefully improvement. The benefit only comes if you act on what OEE is telling you! Might sound daft, but not everyone does!:mg: By introducing OEE you should be able to focus onto a specific machine / process and reduce one or more of the 7 wastes in that area. The waste will be having an effect on one of the three factors of the OEE calculation. The way I have used OEE to a benefit is as an indicator as to where a problem is. It's then been a matter of "go see" and carry out futher analysis on the problem area. Carry out RCA, fix the problem and move on. All nice and easy.;) I've used simple Excel spreadsheets to track, but used a fancy drywipe board with the company logo etc. I put these together with a local graphic design company.

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Gee - all this seems like a lot of firepower for
OEE (Order of the Evil Eye (Satanism))
:lmao::lmao::lmao:

P

palmer

We are using the "5 whys" to pursue issues that show up form OEE. We run about 65-70% with the rest of the time as down time. Our products are like a job shop so at least 1/2 of the DT is changeover.

It's eliminating the other half that is being focused on with some focus on changeover reduction.

We had one incident on a machine where they reduced the changeover time from 8 hours to 4 hours and using the world class tracking info they hit 85% in that measurement. The guys who did it were bragging that they were world class....

Finding what to use and implementing it where the people get involved is key to the issues....:)

A

adrianpask - 2011

Guys - firstly let me be transparent; i'm a business partner of Vorne's and i implement their systems in Europe. Bear that in mind with what i'm about to say.

When i was in initial conversations with Vorne about brining their XL system to the UK i did a lot of benchmarking and comparrison. There are many suppliers and manufacturers of LED display systems out there, what makes the Vorne solution unique is the extent and depth of the software that comes bundled in the board. You don't need to install any programs or software - it's all included. There are plenty of OEE systems and plenty of LED systems and the Vorne solution is the only one that i could find that combined the 2 into one extremely well constructed package.

The drawback with the XL system is that it is hugely and massively user configurable. As a result it can seem on first glance to be quite involved to setup. Ultimately this can be the case if you choose to use the system to it's full power. But to get an OEE measure you just need a running pulse, a reject pulse, and some sort of 'planned downtime' on/off pulse. That's you done! You then have the capability to ramp up the quality of your data by adding extra inputs etc later.

For example one of my sites is entering a £/hr number, the XL unit is comparing this to units made and displaying a real time £/tonne productivity metric. Extremely powerful, but needs some input to create.

I hope this helps contribute to the discussion.

L

LEDgible-man

As an employee of a manufacturer of LED displays (American LED-gible inc.), I agree that Vorne's software and display products are good.

On the other hand, if someone were to desire a custom tailored solution for their production needs, American LED-gible will do just that.

Not to sprout all about the company I work for, but we do specialize in custom built information solutions tailored specifically to manufacturers needs on a case by case basis (if needed). (Although we do supply standard, off the shelf LED display products as well).

Not to claim that we are "better than others", but I do pride myself on the construction of our products.

Top Bottom