OEE - Is there a company that offers a better display than others? And how effective

somashekar

Leader
Admin
Re: OEE - is there a company that offers a better display than others? and how effect

We are using the "5 whys" to pursue issues that show up form OEE. We run about 65-70% with the rest of the time as down time. Our products are like a job shop so at least 1/2 of the DT is changeover.

It's eliminating the other half that is being focused on with some focus on changeover reduction.

We had one incident on a machine where they reduced the changeover time from 8 hours to 4 hours and using the world class tracking info they hit 85% in that measurement. The guys who did it were bragging that they were world class....

Finding what to use and implementing it where the people get involved is key to the issues....:)
One of the approach that we worked under is that unlike men, equipment are to be considered with 24 hrs x 7 days as available for use. Mapping the OEE under this premise got us four vital data viz: set-up time / process time / downtime / idle time.
Actions were based on 'reduce unavoidable timeloss and eliminate avoidable timeloss'
We had even greater influence on marketing to project avoidable timeloss to generate more business. .xls works so well in this

L

LEDgible-man

Re: OEE - is there a company that offers a better display than others? and how effect

I agree, excel has the encompassing calculating power necessary to perform most quality management problems.

I am unsure on how it would be utilized efficiently though. Meaning, with a visual display (displaying 'Downtime', or '% Efficiency', 'Deviation', 'target', 'actual', etc.), production workers could respond in a moments notice to the displayed information (and change the process accordingly); instead of waiting for management to compile the data and update them of the assembly needs.

This [visual display] may not (depending on the software provided) provide a 'map' of the OEE, but it would likely improve response times involved with assembly line revisions and/or assembly line demands and allow workers to identify problems such as overproduction (or underproduction) and revise the assembly line accordingly.

Unless there is something I don't know about the .xls process...(i.e. maybe it is displayed and i'm running under false assumptions).

P

palmer

We use information compiled from production sheets from each machine on each shift to relay data to the production crew as to their performance. Charts are created to show them how they have done. The key word is HAVE.

This information is given to them after the fact. What we are trying to do is get the information to them as they are performing the work as well and to investigate what is causing the issue by asking the 5 why's or whatever method to get to the root cause.

Although I did get a chuckle at one of our operators doing a root cause that concluded that one of his workers was a lazy bum...:lmao:

L

LEDgible-man

We use information compiled from production sheets from each machine on each shift to relay data to the production crew as to their performance. Charts are created to show them how they have done. The key word is HAVE.

This information is given to them after the fact. What we are trying to do is get the information to them as they are performing the work as well and to investigate what is causing the issue by asking the 5 why's or whatever method to get to the root cause.

Although I did get a chuckle at one of our operators doing a root cause that concluded that one of his workers was a lazy bum...:lmao:

If you don't mind me asking Palmer, what is the average turnaround on the data compiled?

(and yea, I can definitely understand the lazy bum conclusion. :whip:

P

palmer

At this time it is only done a monthly basis. Before I started here a couple years ago they never got the data. Now they get individual and total machine data. This is posted on a visual metrics board now too.

We are a small facility that has not traced and shared this info before I arrived.... baby steps....

somashekar

Leader
Admin

I agree, excel has the encompassing calculating power necessary to perform most quality management problems.

I am unsure on how it would be utilized efficiently though. Meaning, with a visual display (displaying 'Downtime', or '% Efficiency', 'Deviation', 'target', 'actual', etc.), production workers could respond in a moments notice to the displayed information (and change the process accordingly); instead of waiting for management to compile the data and update them of the assembly needs.

This [visual display] may not (depending on the software provided) provide a 'map' of the OEE, but it would likely improve response times involved with assembly line revisions and/or assembly line demands and allow workers to identify problems such as overproduction (or underproduction) and revise the assembly line accordingly.

Unless there is something I don't know about the .xls process...(i.e. maybe it is displayed and i'm running under false assumptions).
A long term monitoring and identifying suitable measurable objectives based on the oee output needs to be in place. One must never be shy of the efficiency it reflects initially, and it must never be used to measure any individual's performance. A planned oee improvement in steps must be the primary objective and top management support is vital.

P

palmer

OEE can help in measuring an employees performance, especially if he is lagging behind everyone else in production. It isn't meant for that but can be used as such instead of another document to do the measuring.

There are production standards to be met. If one employee is way behind the others in production, perhaps he is not following the proper directions or lacking in training or is not capable of performing the job because it is above his skill level.

It shouldn't be used to "nail" the employee unless the employee is or has become an undesirable. But if that employee has been in that position for some time and suddenly his production drops, you need to find out why.

I'm not advocating its use in this way but the data is already collected and doesn't need to be repeated in some other form....

L

LEDgible-man

Well Palmer, I congratulate you on your efforts. I know how hard it can be to incorporate changes in a production facility. Any step is better than no step when it comes to increasing effectiveness of assembly lines.

As for the 'individual' measurement,

cliche statement of the day: a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

If assembly team members can visually see what numbers are expected of them (instead of an invisible quota), then they are more likely to perform to reasonable expectations.

On the other hand, if management sets unreasonable target goals, visual representations can be hazardous to employee morale. So overall goal numbers are often required to set these 'reasonable' expectations.

R

red herring

I work in a large shop that machines VERY large components (up to 90 tons :mg:), is job shop specific (may be 3-4 years before we see the same component again), has long duration jobs (up to 3 weeks on a machine :notme:) and, as you can imagine, the inspection operations are not "real time". Any suggestions on how to weave OEE into an operation such as this? Any ideas on automation of data collection without installing PC's at each asset would welcome as well.

TIA

Mikael

Quite Involved in Discussions

Hi

I know this is an old thread, but I work on a project with this, so I would like to comment.

As I understand OEE it should be used at production level, more as an problem-solver tool. So it is less important to focus on flashing the Overall numbers, but you will need a software that allows you to interact with and go into details with breakdowns etc.

Top Bottom