OEE (Overall Equipment Effectiveness) calculation for multiple parts with different cycle times.

Gary H

Registered
Have an OEE question. A production line produces two or more different parts per shift. They have different cycle times. How do I structure the OEE calculation to reflect this?
For example, we produce two parts on shift obe today, we are set up for the first one from previous shift. We run for the first 128 minutes of the shift, complete a 13 minute changeover, then run for the balance of the 440 total minutes available for production in the shift, remaining on this part for subsequent shift. Cycle time for first part is 48 seconds, second part is 72 seconds.

How do I set my OEE calculation up to cover this?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
Why do you need to calculate OEE? What insight do you hope to gain?
I ask because this will help you think about how to calculate OEE or perhaps a better metric will suffice.

Gary H

Registered
It is a corporate requirement. I recognise the limitations of the measurement, but if I have to measure it I want to at least have it reflecting the correct numbers. I would prefer to focus on each of the elements of the calculation and work on improving the underlying causes of poor metrics. I would be more than willing to pitch alternate metrics if they make sense to me.

Randy

Super Moderator
It is a corporate requirement. I recognise the limitations of the measurement, but if I have to measure it I want to at least have it reflecting the correct numbers. I would prefer to focus on each of the elements of the calculation and work on improving the underlying causes of poor metrics. I would be more than willing to pitch alternate metrics if they make sense to me.
Gary did they give you any parameters to measure against or just leave you shooting in the bark to make something up?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Leader
Super Moderator
I think the OP meant to type one. As in shift one. The b and n are right next to each other.

emilyb

Registered
I'm going to tag along here, because I am also responsible for monitoring OEE at my plant but I have never thought to make any kind of adjustment based on different rates.
We calculate by multiplying the
availability (production time vs downtime)
performance (this is where the different rates come in; efficiencies are calculating based on the specific part and its rate)
quality (good parts vs bad parts)
to get a percentage. We do have the benefit of using an ERP which does a lot of the math for us; I'm guessing the OP does not have that?

Top Bottom