OEM branding - My interpretation of the LVD Directive makes us a manufacturer

Good morning to you All!

This forum is amazing!

I am really hoping someone could help in providing me with the answer.

There is a manufacturer who owns the design, manufacturing and my company wants to distribute their product into EU under Low Voltage Directive. The sticking point is the branding. The intention of my company is to have our branding on it what in my interpretation of the LVD Directive makes us a manufacturer. I have read LVD Directive and:
Article 13 of 2014/35/EU (Low Voltage)

Any economic operator that either places electrical equipment on the market under his own name or trade mark or modifies electrical equipment in such a way that compliance with this Directive may be affected should be considered to be the manufacturer and should assume the obligations of the manufacturer.

....also Blue Journal states as follows

Official Journal of the European Union C272
3.1 Manufacturer

- The manufacturer is any natural or legal person who is responsible for designing or manufacturing a product and places it on the market under his own name or trademark ( 91). The definition contains two cumulative conditions: the person has to manufacture (or have a product manufactured) and to market the product under his own name or trademark. So, if the product is marketed under another person's name or trademark, this person will be considered as the manufacturer.

- The manufacturer has ultimate responsibility for the conformity of the product to the applicable Union harmonisation legislation, whether he designed and manufactured the product himself or is considered as a manufacturer because the product is placed on the market under his name or trademark.

Please, are you aware of any other interpretations, recommendations that would allow the Company B distribute the product (Company A is the manufacturer) when adding own brand to the instrument? To me it looks pretty much black and white and makes Company A a manufacturer but I am also aware of the IVDR clauses (we also operate in the IVD industry - not the product I have mentioned in this topic) where:

Article 16 IVDR 2017/746 (IVDR)

Cases in which obligations of manufacturers apply to importers, distributors or other persons

A distributor, importer or other natural or legal person shall assume the obligations incumbent on manufacturers if it does any of the following:
(a) makes available on the market a device under its own name, registered trade name or registered trade mark, except in cases where a distributor or importer enters into an agreement with a manufacturer whereby the manufacturer is identified as such on the label and is responsible for meeting the requirements placed on manufacturers in this Regulation;

At the same time I couldn't find anything similar in the current IVD Directive.

Do any exceptions or recommendations exists? Maybe the interpretation is different?

Please may I ask for your opinion?

Regards,

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Hi,
It's an electrical equipment to be used in laboratory (IEC61010-1) under the Low Voltage Directive (not a medical device or IVD)

My understanding is that under EN61010 you are correct in that you would be considered the manufacturer from the position of the EU.

There is no problem from the EU point of view in you doing this, the actual product builder simply gets treated the same as a subcontractor building product at your behest. If your get the product fully branded with your branding then its YOURS! you are the manufacturer. the original company is making the product for you only and only you can sell it though your sales channel.

If you do not wish to become the product manufacturer then you would need to declare the name of the actual manufacturer separately on the product in such a way as to make it plain you are declaring them to be the manufacturer. In a previous company we needed to make such a declaration as our distributor within the EN was not prepared to take on the responsibility of the manufacturer and give the product was made in the EU there was no importer. note the liabilities of the importer and manufacturer are very similar so you do not gain much be being and importer rather than the manufacturer.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
K New supplier audit as per V3.1 by French Automotive OEM General Auditing Discussions 2
V UDI - OEM or OBL / Legal Manufacturer Responsibility CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
J Possible to get ISO 13485 certified with only OEM Product? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K Joint approval between OEM and Manufacturer on Design Documents ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
K OEM specific requirements - PPAP was rejected by STA Customer and Company Specific Requirements 5
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
V OEM / PLM Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C External Laboratories and OEM Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
B Need For BIS Standard Mark? Imported OEM's Power supply,Li-Ion Battery Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
DuncanGibbons OEM specifications such as AIPS spec from Airbus AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
A Certification procedure for OEM/PLM collaboration in the medical device industry in the US - Who bears the regulatory responsability? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
P Sterilization Subcontractor of OEM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
C Updates on Documentation for outsourced OEM from ISO 13485:2003 to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Contract Manufacturer/OEM Supplier - We are a specification developer for a kitted product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B MDSAP for OEM products in Canada for in vitro diagnostic test kit to include lancing device Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
S Beginner trying to OEM a medical device - Branded Electric Acupuncture Pen EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Can an OEM use an CM ISO 13485 certification in helping to get out CE Mark? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
supadrai Just found out the hard way that only one registration per manufacturer is allowed in Yemen, regardless of OEM or private label arrangement. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Is Certificate of Conformance required for an OEM released product? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
N Regulatory Responsibilities of an OEM and Private Label manufacturer Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
supadrai OEM Changing the name of the manufacturer - length of process? Is 1-3 months correct? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S OEM and PLM under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Responsibility for Design Transfer - OEM vs. CM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
supadrai Indonesian MOH Regulation Restricting OEM/Private Label Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
C How long is an OEM obligated to provide spare parts and repair EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Virtual manufacturers/OEM - CE/ISO requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 7
C Relabeling Product Manufactured by the OEM 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S IMDS helper app or program or paid service at OEM? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
M Piggy Backing on OEM's CE certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J CQI-9 - Can OEM do Oven Studies? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M OEM-OBL ISO 13485 Certification - Devices mentioned in the product scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M OEM vs OBL Classification in the CE Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K Does OEM/OBL-Relationship need to involve an EU Authorized Representative? EU Medical Device Regulations 11
Document Dame Does AS9100 certified OEM need AS9110 if no maintenance is provided? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
3 Brasil: OEM Medical Device Business - Product Design Customization Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
R Is PFMEA (Process FMEA) for OEM sufficient to address Risk? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
V Production Documents for Electrical/Electronic OEM Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P Medical Device OEM, OBL and Private Labeling Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R TS16949 requirements for Motorcycle OEM Parts Suppliers (Batteries) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
O Certification of OEM Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 12
L Continental Automotive (or any other big German OEM) APQP list wanted VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
C Termination of Technical Agreements with OEM (OBL) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Tooling Cost - As an OEM I am paying for a new tool Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
C Is there and OBL and OEM Contract Template? EU Medical Device Regulations 16
Casana Training on Automotive OEM Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
O OEM vs. Supplier - CE Marking EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Who is the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)? EU Medical Device Regulations 5