Definition OEM - Definition of OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer

V

vshields

I would like to discuss the definition of OEM or Original Equipment Manufacturer. Marc, you have stated that as far as QS 9000 that you feel that it pertains only to Ford,GM and DC. I disagree, read the (note) in section 4.11.2.b.1. " Where a qualified laboratory does not exist for a given piece of equipment, calibration services may be performed by the original equipment manufacturer" Now are you saying that the big three wants us to send our special piece of equipment to them for calibration. I don't think so. I think that they are talking about the company that designed, built, and produced this piece of equipment. If my company produces hubcaps, and we have a patent, we are the OEM. If the big three buys them from us, and puts them on their cars, then we are the 1st tier supplier but also the OEM, which gives us the freedom to audit our own subcontracters and qualify them. If however we are contracted by the big three to paint hubcaps,that they have already bought from some other OEM, then the supplier of the paint, to us must be 3rd party registered. What do you think???

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
A

Al Dyer

I need more convincing before I would give up the thought that under QS-9000 the big 3 are the OEM's.

ASD...

J

Jim Evans

In QS-9000 Appendix E: Acronyms and Their Meanings, OEM is defined as:

Original Equipment Manufacturer (e.g. Chrysler, Ford, General Motors).

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Evans (edited 01 August 2001).]

V

vshields

Out of all the acronyms given on that page (e.g.)is only used once, websters dictionary says it stands for (for the sake of example) to me this means others could exist. Since the big three wrote the book it only stands to reason that they would use their
own company names as the example.I feel they are giving an example, not saying we are the only OEM's out there.

J

Jim Evans

Try this one: QS-9000 Section II -- Title page under Section Organization:
Chrysler-Specific Requirements
Ford-Specific Requirements
General Motors-Specific Requirements
Other OEM-Specific Requirements

There is a short list of other companies (mostly truck manufacturers) in that section such as Mack Truck, Volvo Truck etc.

The implication seems to be that the authors of QS-9000 (namely the Big 3) consider themselves and a few select other vehicle manufacturers as the only OEMs.

Jim

A

Al Dyer

Jim,

Good references. Any "Big 3" SQA's lurking out there to shed some light, although I think the correct anwsers have been posted already.

J

Jim Evans

Thanks Al. The big 3 could have saved us all some grief by including a definition of OEM in the QS glossary. Their failure to include it in the glossary would seem to imply that they felt the definition of OEM was sufficiently clear in the text of the QS document itself. Just my opinion.

Jim

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
-> The big 3 could have saved us all some grief by including
-> a definition of OEM in the QS glossary.

Next thing you know, you'll be wanting 'sanctioned' interpretations or something! ;)

J

Jim Evans

That's the ticket Marc. However, there is a drawback to interpretations that are clear and precise: What would become of all the interesting conversations on the forums?

Jim

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Definition OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) - Exact definition of OEM Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 9
M OEM asking for NC report after certification audit. IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
V Informational SMMT IATF Oversight - OEM KPI Process IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
J Which OEM or customers are now requiring the new AIAG/VDA FMEA format? FMEA and Control Plans 0
V OEM / PLM Japan Japan Medical Device Regulations 0
A Calibration required by OEM General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 2
C External Laboratories and OEM Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
B Need For BIS Standard Mark? Imported OEM's Power supply,Li-Ion Battery Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
A OEM branding - My interpretation of the LVD Directive makes us a manufacturer CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
DuncanGibbons OEM specifications such as AIPS spec from Airbus AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 3
A Certification procedure for OEM/PLM collaboration in the medical device industry in the US - Who bears the regulatory responsability? Other US Medical Device Regulations 10
P Sterilization Subcontractor of OEM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
C Updates on Documentation for outsourced OEM from ISO 13485:2003 to ISO 13485:2016 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
R Contract Manufacturer/OEM Supplier - We are a specification developer for a kitted product 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
B MDSAP for OEM products in Canada for in vitro diagnostic test kit to include lancing device Other Medical Device Related Standards 0
S Beginner trying to OEM a medical device - Branded Electric Acupuncture Pen EU Medical Device Regulations 3
H Can an OEM use an CM ISO 13485 certification in helping to get out CE Mark? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
supadrai Just found out the hard way that only one registration per manufacturer is allowed in Yemen, regardless of OEM or private label arrangement. Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S Is Certificate of Conformance required for an OEM released product? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
N Regulatory Responsibilities of an OEM and Private Label manufacturer Canada Medical Device Regulations 3
supadrai OEM Changing the name of the manufacturer - length of process? Is 1-3 months correct? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
S OEM and PLM under MDR EU Medical Device Regulations 2
P Responsibility for Design Transfer - OEM vs. CM ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
supadrai Indonesian MOH Regulation Restricting OEM/Private Label Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
C How long is an OEM obligated to provide spare parts and repair EU Medical Device Regulations 2
S Virtual manufacturers/OEM - CE/ISO requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 7
C Relabeling Product Manufactured by the OEM 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 5
S IMDS helper app or program or paid service at OEM? RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 0
M Piggy Backing on OEM's CE certificate EU Medical Device Regulations 1
J CQI-9 - Can OEM do Oven Studies? Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
M OEM-OBL ISO 13485 Certification - Devices mentioned in the product scope ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
M OEM vs OBL Classification in the CE Certification EU Medical Device Regulations 5
K Does OEM/OBL-Relationship need to involve an EU Authorized Representative? EU Medical Device Regulations 11
Document Dame Does AS9100 certified OEM need AS9110 if no maintenance is provided? AS9100, IAQG 9100, Nadcap and related Aerospace Standards and Requirements 4
3 Brasil: OEM Medical Device Business - Product Design Customization Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 6
R Is PFMEA (Process FMEA) for OEM sufficient to address Risk? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 7
V Production Documents for Electrical/Electronic OEM Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
P Medical Device OEM, OBL and Private Labeling Questions EU Medical Device Regulations 5
R TS16949 requirements for Motorcycle OEM Parts Suppliers (Batteries) IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
O Certification of OEM Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 12
L Continental Automotive (or any other big German OEM) APQP list wanted VDA Standards - Germany's Automotive Standards 5
C Termination of Technical Agreements with OEM (OBL) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
J Tooling Cost - As an OEM I am paying for a new tool Manufacturing and Related Processes 6
C Is there and OBL and OEM Contract Template? EU Medical Device Regulations 16
Casana Training on Automotive OEM Requirements Customer and Company Specific Requirements 2
O OEM vs. Supplier - CE Marking EU Medical Device Regulations 1
P Who is the OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)? EU Medical Device Regulations 5
D OEM Calibration of their Measurement Equipment IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
B Listing both OEM which is owned by OBL on a CE Mark Certificate CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
V Is there a Website with OEM Requirements APQP and PPAP 7