OES Global Results Drift

T

tgrabes0327

Hello all,

I am the Sr. Lab Technician at an aluminum tolling facility in Ohio. We have 2 Optical Emission spectrometers - the Bruker Q8 Magellan running QMatrix 3.6.8 and SpectroLab 17-F model running Spark Analyzer Vision. Both use DIA2000SE to store measurement results. Alloys processed at this facility are 380, 383, 413, 713, 319, 6061, 356 and on occasion 390 and 1100.

If anyone is knowledgeable about OES I would like some advice. The story is, I'm in fairly regular communication with our field engineers about maintaining and improving the reliability of our OES. In the last year or so, I've noticed considerable drift in an increasingly short span of time with our main instrument, the Bruker model. The drift is always to the high side, around an apprx. maximum of 3% on some elements such as Si. We've worked on our climate control to mitigate temperature and moisture fluctuations that were thought to be the culprit behind this. We use type-correction for checking alloys and use the estimated uncertainty values given by ALCOA's Certificate of Analysis to set the type program's min-max of elemental weight %'s. We tend reload our type-standards when any of our major elements (Si, Fe, Cu, Mg, Zn, Ni, Cr, Pb, Sn, Ti) fall out of the min-max range by 0.20% - that translates into the type program being reloaded at least once every 36 hours. We do a full global-standardization (using our ALCOA SUS samples) every 4-8 days.

Has anyone else experienced something similar to this? Any helpful suggestions??

Thank you all for your time-

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
A Quick Bump!

Please help a fellow Cover with answering a question!

Thank you very much!!

Top Bottom