Office Dress Code

S

Sorin

Cari Spears said:
]I'm constantly baffled by what is considered acceptable dress in professional offices these days in the many companies I visit and in the last two places I've worked. I see clevage, bare shoulders, bare mid-drifts, bare legs and semi-bare feet.


And that's just the guys:lol:

that got me :lmao:
 
M

MIREGMGR

"Business casual" M-Th, blue jeans permitted (and semi-mandatory) Fridays. For those who need to work Saturdays, tee shirts and sweatshirts OK depending on the season. Jean-style pants are tolerated M-Th if not blue denim. Sneakers in the office on Fridays and Saturdays only. People that are going to be working that day on the production floor or in a shop or lab can wear blue jeans.

Quite a few people work in cleanroom garb or a labcoat, so the clothes they come to work in are hidden anyway.

If visitors are planned, the involved people step it up a level. Banker visit = suits for the involved individuals.

Visits to most customer and user sites = jacket and tie or just slacks and shirt, depending on destination policy and purpose of meeting. Suits required for visits to larger OEMs except on their casual days. Younger doctors visiting, normal dress for the day. Older doctors visiting, using jacket and tie.

Never shorts, open toed shoes, bare midriffs, excessive cleavage, anything overtly sexy, anything offensive/juvenile/dumb, anything dirty or torn.

Generally, funny hats are permitted only on Halloween-costume day.
 

BradM

Leader
Admin
I just kind of stick by two things, really. No cleavage, and no mini skirts.

It is way to distracting for women who have cleavage showing with their blouses and short skirts. Either men are looking, or women are talking about the women dress like that. :)

It just seems easier to establish a code and stick by it; than taking each case one by one, trying to justify rightness or wrongness.
 
R

RosieA

Ah, Carri, you brought a few memories to the frontal lobe...

I worked at a medical devices company, owned by a "relaxed" and somewhat eccentric scientist. One of his best engineers was a guy to refused to wear shoes from May to October. When the Safety Committee complained about it, the owner said that this engineer was important to the company, and if he wanted to walk around barefoot, so be it.

I also recall going to visit a customer with this owner. He wore a white shirt with yellow stains in the pits, blackpants and sandels and socks.

I'll trade you a barefoot engineer for some cleavage!
 

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit
That covers about 65 % of the workers most of the time. The other 35% are supervisors, managers and all other office personnel.
Maybe not! Back in the 90s, I visited a company in Orange County California with over 1,000 employees on three shifts (24/7) and EVERYONE, male and female, (from the CEO down to the janitors) wore the same "uniform" - khaki wash pants and company logo short sleeve polo shirt. Although the polo shirts came in a variety of pastel shades, I was assured the color bore no significance to rank or department, but was management's attempt at allowing some "individuality" to its employees. The khaki slacks had some variation from light tan to dark tan, plain front or pleated front, belt or suspenders (or both;).)

Some wore leather shoes, some canvas, none wore sandals, heels, or open toe shoes - definitely no bare feet or flip flops!
 

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Ah, Carri, you brought a few memories to the frontal lobe...

I worked at a medical devices company, owned by a "relaxed" and somewhat eccentric scientist. One of his best engineers was a guy to refused to wear shoes from May to October. When the Safety Committee complained about it, the owner said that this engineer was important to the company, and if he wanted to walk around barefoot, so be it.

I also recall going to visit a customer with this owner. He wore a white shirt with yellow stains in the pits, blackpants and sandels and socks.

I'll trade you a barefoot engineer for some cleavage!

Men have a tendency to look down on women with exposed cleavage.
 
Top Bottom