Office Dress Code

K

KarenKH

whoa:mg: i hope our company never gets that relaxed. Now a days people (kids) think that its ok for tatoos, they dont understand what it does to a companies image and to tell you the truth they just dont care.

M

mguilbert

Which raises another question. Our youth have taken up massive tattoos and piercings..... How is this going to work when they decide to try their hand in an office environment......:frust:

Don't worry I am sure at some point it will be, if not already discrimination.

T

True Position

whoa:mg: i hope our company never gets that relaxed. Now a days people (kids) think that its ok for tatoos, they dont understand what it does to a companies image and to tell you the truth they just dont care.

If these people continue to not care then logically it won't be a problem in the future.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Attached is what can happen if too relaxed....:notme:

What about tattoos? We had a guy ask if it would be inappropriate to have a devil tattoo put on his face..:mg:

He works in the plant and has a clown tattoo on one cheek and was going to put the devil on the other cheek....

Which raises another question. Our youth have taken up massive tattoos and piercings..... How is this going to work when they decide to try their hand in an office environment......:frust:

1968: "Look at all of these guys and their long hair--they look like girls! What's going to happen when they try to get office jobs?"

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
1968: "Look at all of these guys and their long hair--they look like girls! What's going to happen when they try to get office jobs?"

Good point Jim, but hair can be cut, but tattoos are a heck of a lot more difficult to get rid off. :D

Stijloor.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Good point Jim, but hair can be cut, but tattoos are a heck of a lot more difficult to get rid off. :D

Stijloor.
Look around. Everyone under the age of thirty, including tiny babies it seems, has at least one tattoo. This means that the stigma that our generation has attached to tattoos will be mostly gone in the next generation. People will still look askance at extremes, but I don't think that seeing people in offices with visible tattoos will be unusual in ten years, and I also think that's how it should be.

J

John Martinez

I'm constantly baffled by what is considered acceptable dress in professional offices these days in the many companies I visit and in the last two places I've worked. I see clevage, bare shoulders, bare mid-drifts, bare legs and semi-bare feet. Since when has it been acceptable to wear flip-flops to the office - even if it's casual Friday? I wanna know. :confused:

Does the front office staff at your organization have a dress code? I have to admit, I'm pretty old school about work dress. I don't think even open toed dress shoes are ok - let alone flip-flops - and I would never show up for work in a skirt with bare legs.

I'm late to this party. When I started working at Sears in 1971, gentlemen were required to have suits, not coat and tie, but a matching suit. Ladies were required to have business suits - NO PANTS SUITS.

Move forward to late 1970's with "Dress for Success". I've always said, I'd love to get the author of that book with his three piece vested suit making "cold calls" in New Orleans in August. Bet he would change his mind.

If my memory serves me correctly, some ties came off in an effort to not keep the office as cold to conserve energy. How it got from that to tank tops, I can't say.

What I can say, is that office dress is different between a bank and a machine shop. It is also different between a Northeast Bank and most Southern Banks, just because of the temperature. Before I go to any new business to audit, I as “how does top management dress” and dress to match them. That way, I’m not over or under dressed.

I also can say that I'm familiar with some companies, whose ladies smidgen' of clothing caused enough of a distraction that the dress code was a move to the more conservative side.

Just my humble opinion, this day and time, the company that allows people to show too much, are courting a REDACTED harassment suit.

J

John Martinez

Look around. Everyone under the age of thirty, including tiny babies it seems, has at least one tattoo. This means that the stigma that our generation has attached to tattoos will be mostly gone in the next generation. People will still look askance at extremes, but I don't think that seeing people in offices with visible tattoos will be unusual in ten years, and I also think that's how it should be.

Consider; however, that the unicorn tattoo one received at 30 looks like a Rhino at 60...:lmao:

Wes Bucey

Prophet of Profit

Consider; however, that the unicorn tattoo one received at 30 looks like a Rhino at 60...:lmao:
My grandchildren talk about contemporaries who have "ink," even though their local laws on tattoo parlors requires valid ID for anyone under 30 and those under 18 must have parental permission and the parent or guardian must present ID and accompany the minor.

In southern Indiana this morning, I saw a young mother with two toddlers in tow who was wearing a spaghetti strap half shirt with bare midriff and back and short shorts who had every inch of exposed flesh (except her face from jaw to hairline) covered with elaborate graphic ink which would have made a Yakuza mobster envious.

My nephew who was with me commented he sees women coming into his retail business straight from church service on Sunday similarly dressed and with exposed ink, but none with tattoos as elaborate as the woman in our view. I, the old fogy, simply stood shaking my head, unable to comprehend the thinking of the person who gets all that ink and is not a Japanese mobster nor an exhibit in a carnival sideshow.

K

KarenKH

From John: Consider; however, that the unicorn tattoo one received at 30 looks like a Rhino at 60. Sorry still figuring the Cove out.
I told a friend how I like ladybugs and butterflies she said she did too and showed me her tats and that was sad, saggy tats are gross, will not get any.
My kids think its just great and cant wait to get one. Told them when you leave its on you forever.

Top Bottom