Office Dress Code

R

ralphsulser

One other benefit we had with uniforms was that the uniform company also did the laundry and brough them back on hangers, and put them in our lockers too. Each employee had 16 uniforms because some operations worked 24/7 and were very dirty. Hot Forging press operators were very dirty jobs because of the liquid graphite lubricants constantly spraying on the dies stamping out 1200f degree steel billets. There was no way they could have taken those clothes home to wash. That was about 30% of the workforce. They got extra pay for that department.

A

auclairdiana

What a silly thing to write someone up for!

I used to work at a place in the early 1990s that stamped, welded, bonded, etc. The manufacturing supervisors had to wear a uniform of grey pants and white shirts (Cintas) and they had to wear a burgundy tie. Their ties had to be clip on so that if they did get caught in something, it would just come right off.:lol:
I was actually written up by a past manager because she didn't think I took enough time to do my hair! She actually told me that I should take the time to curl my hair and "present myself like a lady"! Let me clarify... My hair is always clean, brushed and out of my face so I don't see the issue. Dress code was business casual, which I absolutely obliged! I live in the South with high heat and humidity!!! At least she liked my work :)

Q

Quality-Geek

I was actually written up by a past manager because she didn't think I took enough time to do my hair! She actually told me that I should take the time to curl my hair and "present myself like a lady"! Let me clarify... My hair is always clean, brushed and out of my face so I don't see the issue. Dress code was business casual, which I absolutely obliged! I live in the South with high heat and humidity!!! At least she liked my work :)

WOW! I would have some words to day about that!! I understand that I need to look professional, but telling me to curl my very straight, prone-to-humidity hair is over the top. Quite honestly, I don't need to "present myself like a lady" and please someone else's idea of ladylike to be professional or do a good job.

I work for a Japanese company, so everyone in the office wears button-down smocks over our shirts. We can wear whatever we want under the smocks - t-shirts, tanks, sweaters, whatever. The alternative that I saw at other plants was to wear just the smock. No shirt and in at least one very unpleasant case, no undergarments. Ugh! We all wear jeans, even top management, unless we have VIP visitors. Even then the only people who dress up are the top dogs. It's pretty casual here so we don't have a casual Friday. Shoes must be closed-toe and closed-heel, it's an OSHA requirement. The only people who don't have to follow that rule are the accountants. Even HR might have to go onto the production floor, so they have to follow the shoe rule. No skirts, shorts, capris, or anything else that can be cut or burned.

I spent 2 years in the Honda plant in Marysville. Every single person, from Shoichiro Irimajiri (can you say CVCC Engine) on down, had the same white uniform with a Honda patch on the right and your first name on a patch on the left (although Shoichiro's said Mr. Iri). Problem solved.

I am the support engineer for a high speed electronic assembly line that I set 11 years ago. If you think I'm wearing a tie around that baby; think again. After I ripped or stained the first five pairs of khakis in the first 6 weeks on our production floor, I switched to black Levi's and I've never looked back. I do wear a long-sleeved, button-down collar, cotton shirt every day but Friday. On Friday, the jeans are blue and the shirt a Hawaiian print. I also ditched the tasseled wing-tips for a pair of top-of-the-line, black walking shoes (you might call them tennis shoes or sneakers). You stand all day on a (conductive coated) concrete floor then tell me what proper footwear should be.

Other than my boss, who has an entire extra room full of dress clothes (and that is a fashion opinion, not a professional opinion), no one has a problem with that, including customers and external auditors. My quality system speaks for itself.

BTW, the boss is not allowed to touch anything on our production floor because our conductive heel straps are not compatible with ladies dress heels.

P

palmer

I've been with my company for 4 years now. We were bought out last November by our competitor.

Since I started our dress code has become more and more relaxed. Casual Friday has gone to almost daily for some people and nothing is said.

My original job put me on the shop floor a lot and it is a dirty environment so I was allowed jeans and polo type shirts. I think that those in the office viewed that as an ok for them to change from dress slacks or khakis and a dress type polo to this type of dress.

I do not go onto the floor as often in my new position but didn't change the way I dress. There are some who wear t-shirts all the time now.

I guess if they are going to allow it, so be it. I deal with vendors a lot and get frequent visitors now so I'm not going the t-shirt way.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
It's stuff like this that explains why Scott Adams (Dilbert creator) is a multi-millionaire.

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
My new company is nearly as relaxed as my last. But we host more customer visits here so the host usually sends an email saying "so-and-so will be here tomorrow - clean your desk and dress business casual".

I'm wearing jeans today.
But I'm spending much of it in a training class.
If I was giving the training class I would be business casual.

P

palmer

I forgot to mention some of the guys in the office are also wearing ball caps and not shaving every day now.....:mg:

ScottK

Not out of the crisis
Leader
Super Moderator
I forgot to mention some of the guys in the office are also wearing ball caps and not shaving every day now.....:mg:

I don't shave every day.

'course I've been wearing a beard for years.

Top Bottom