Official Clarification of ECO, PDR, PCR Acronym Definitions

D

daraghofla

Hi all
I am looking for the exact definition of:
(i)PCR (process (or product) change requests
(ii)PDR (process (or product) change requests.

I have "googled" but have been left with a feeling that there is no official line to take and you can pretty much make up your own definition and that you can also go as far as using your own preferred make-up of the acronym.

Surely, with quality's propensity for standardisation, there is an official line to take???

Can anyone help?

Best regards,
Daragh from Ireland

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Hi all
(i)PCR (process (or product) change requests
(ii)PDR (process (or product) change requests.

I have "googled" but have been left with a feeling that there is no official line to take and you can pretty much make up your own definition and that you can also go as far as using your own preferred make-up of the acronym.

Surely, with quality's propensity for standardisation, there is an official line to take???

Can anyone help?

Best regards,
Daragh from Ireland
Sadly, you are learning the idiosyncrasies of abbreviations and acronyms. Lewis Carroll, in his children's books about Alice and her adventures, has one character say [paraphrased] "words mean exactly what I intend them to mean . . ."

For a list where you can pick a definition which comes closest to what you intend an acronym to mean, consult http://www.acronymfinder.com/ and then, hopefully, you will add that definition as a note to your readers exactly what you mean.

For a bit of whimsy:
an excerpt from
6. Humpty Dumpty
Through the Looking Glass, by Lewis Carroll

'When I use a word,' Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, 'it means just what I choose it to mean — neither more nor less.'
'The question is,' said Alice, 'whether you can make words mean so many different things.'
'The question is,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'which is to be master — that's all.'

Alice was too much puzzled to say anything; so after a minute Humpty Dumpty began again. 'They've a temper, some of them — particularly verbs: they're the proudest — adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs — however, I can manage the whole lot of them! Impenetrability! That's what I say!'
'Would you tell me please,' said Alice, 'what that means?'
'Now you talk like a reasonable child,' said Humpty Dumpty, looking very much pleased. 'I meant by "impenetrability" that we've had enough of that subject, and it would be just as well if you'd mention what you mean to do next, as I suppose you don't mean to stop here all the rest of your life.'
'That's a great deal to make one word mean,' Alice said in a thoughtful tone.
'When I make a word do a lot of work like that,' said Humpty Dumpty, 'I always pay it extra.'
'Oh!' said Alice. She was too much puzzled to make any other remark.
'Ah, you should see 'em come round me of a Saturday night,' Humpty Dumpty went on, wagging his head gravely from side to side, 'for to get their wages, you know.'
(Alice didn't venture to ask what he paid them with; and so you see I can't tell you.)
'You seem very clever at explaining words, Sir,' said Alice. 'Would you kindly tell me the meaning of the poem called "Jabberwocky"?'
'Let's hear it,' said Humpty Dumpty. 'I can explain all the poems that ever were invented — and a good many that haven't been invented just yet.'
This sounded very hopeful, so Alice repeated the first verse:
''Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
All mimsy were the borogoves,
And the mome raths outgrabe.
'
'That's enough to begin with,' Humpty Dumpty interrupted: 'there are plenty of hard words there. "Brillig" means four o'clock in the afternoon — the time when you begin broiling things for dinner.'
'That'll do very well,' said Alice: 'and "slithy"?'
'Well, "slithy" means "lithe and slimy". "Lithe" is the same as "active". You see it's like a portmanteau — there are two meanings packed up into one word.'
'I see it now,' Alice remarked thoughtfully: 'and what are "toves"?'
'Well, "toves" are something like badgers — they're something like lizards — and they're something like corkscrews.'
'They must be very curious-looking creatures.'
'They are that,' said Humpty Dumpty; 'also they make their nests under sun-dials — also they live on cheese.'
'And what's to "gyre" and to "gimble"?'
'To "gyre" is to go round and round like a gyroscope. To "gimble" is to make holes like a gimlet.'
'And "the wabe" is the grass-plot round a sun-dial, I suppose?' said Alice, surprised at her own ingenuity.
'Of course it is. It's called "wabe" you know, because it goes a long way before it, and a long way behind it —'
'And a long way beyond it on each side,' Alice added.
'Exactly so. Well then, "mimsy" is "flimsy and miserable" (there's another portmanteau for you). And a "borogove" is a thin shabby-looking bird with its feathers sticking out all round — something like a live mop.'
'And then "mome raths"?' said Alice. 'I'm afraid I'm giving you a great deal of trouble.'
'Well, a "rath" is a sort of green pig: but "mome" I'm not certain about. I think it's short for "from home" — meaning that they'd lost their way, you know.'
'And what does "outgrabe" mean?'
'Well, "outgribing" is something between bellowing and whistling, with a kind of sneeze in the middle: however, you'll hear it done, maybe — down in the wood yonder — and, when you've once heard it, you'll be quite content. Who's been repeating all that hard stuff to you?'
'I read it in a book,' said Alice. 'But I had some poetry repeated to me much easier than that, by — Tweedledee, I think.'

D

daraghofla

Hi Wes
A most eloquent answer. the excerpt seemed almost like a satire for jargon.
Judging by the sheer quantity of acronyms, I think it's safe to say whatever the hell I please when describing PDRs and PCRs.

Back to the jibbidee-joo

G

Graeme

Hi all
Daragh,

I agree with Wes - they mean whatever you want them to mean. For that reason, I always include definitions -- in the document -- of acronyms that either are not widely understood outside the industry, or which have common alternate meanings inside or outside the industry. The people who work with you may "know" what it means, but what about a customer, supplier, outside auditor, or regulatory official? As Wes mentioned, http://www.acronymfinder.com/ is a great resource.

I recently had occasion to look up an acronym that is common within the industry I am currently working in. For "CMM", acronymfinder.com has 72 active definitions and 250 archived definitions. Some of the ones relevant to my current industry are:
component maintenance manual
controlled maintenance manual
coordinate measuring machine
Capability Maturity Model®
and probably others. So even within one regulated industry one acronym can mean different things.

Just be like Humnpty Dumpty - define how you use it and make sure the definition is visible and known.

Graeme

Wes Bucey

Quite Involved in Discussions
Daragh,

I agree with Wes - they mean whatever you want them to mean. For that reason, I always include definitions -- in the document -- of acronyms that either are not widely understood outside the industry, or which have common alternate meanings inside or outside the industry. The people who work with you may "know" what it means, but what about a customer, supplier, outside auditor, or regulatory official? As Wes mentioned, http://www.acronymfinder.com/ is a great resource.

I recently had occasion to look up an acronym that is common within the industry I am currently working in. For "CMM", acronymfinder.com has 72 active definitions and 250 archived definitions. Some of the ones relevant to my current industry are:
component maintenance manual
controlled maintenance manual
coordinate measuring machine
Capability Maturity Model®
and probably others. So even within one regulated industry one acronym can mean different things.

Just be like Humnpty Dumpty - define how you use it and make sure the definition is visible and known.

Graeme
Thanks, Graeme, for the comment I've highlighted in red. It's important the definition be close to the acronym. The U.S. government includes a page in its longer documents which gives a complete glossary of any and all abbreviations and acronyms used within the document. It might not be a bad habit to adopt for any organization which uses acronyms.

D

daraghofla

My current approach is to place the acronym constituent words within commas on the first few occasions that the acronym appears. I can see now that an "acronym definitions" section in the document would be more professional.

I had also wrongly assumed that process/product deviation documents were common within quality circles. Effectively, they're a lower level of ECO (engineering change order).

What do you guys use when a non-effecting mistake has occurred to the product (e.g.:-the product the customer receives has a different capacitor brand within it's make-up which you have tested and know will not compromise the product. However, it's still not exactly the same as the initial "customer qualified" sample)?

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
My current approach is to place the acronym constituent words within commas on the first few occasions that the acronym appears. I can see now that an "acronym definitions" section in the document would be more professional.
Spelling out an abbreviation on first use in a document isn't less professional than using a glossary, but it should be limited to shorter documents and ones where there are only a few potentially confusing abbreviations in use.

I had also wrongly assumed that process/product deviation documents were common within quality circles. Effectively, they're a lower level of ECO (engineering change order).
Even when commonly understood abbreviations are used (RFQ for request for quotation comes to mind) you still shouldn't assume that everyone will know what you're talking or writing about.

What do you guys use when a non-effecting mistake has occurred to the product (e.g.:-the product the customer receives has a different capacitor brand within it's make-up which you have tested and know will not compromise the product. However, it's still not exactly the same as the initial "customer qualified" sample)?
If the wrong component was used inadvertently, it's called a nonconformity. :D
The words "deviation" and "waiver" are often used in this context, with the latter being used before product is manufactured (the customer is asked to waive the requirement) and the former being used when it's discovered that specifications haven't been met and permission to ship is sought from the customer. This is a good case in point for your general question, because sometimes "deviation" and "waiver" are used in opposite from how I described them above, and sometimes they're used interchangeably.

The whole point is to make sure that people know what you're talking about if there's any chance for misinterpretation.

Last edited:
D

daraghofla

If the wrong component was used inadvertently, it's called a nonconformity. :D
The words "deviation" and "waiver" are often used in this context, with the former being used before product is manufactured (the customer is asked to waive the requirement) and the latter being used when it's discovered that specifications haven't been met and permission to ship is sought from the customer. This is a good case in point for your general question, because sometimes "deviation" and "waiver" are used in opposite from how I described them above, and sometimes they're used interchangeably.

The whole point is to make sure that people know what you're talking about if there's any chance for misinterpretation.
Ok, a deviation should be accompanied by an internal NCR/CAPA whereas a waiver is standard and above board. Makes sense and takes away the convoluted acronyms that serve only to confuse.

This is advice I will take.
Cheers Jim

Jim Wynne

Staff member
Admin
Ok, a deviation should be accompanied by an internal NCR/CAPA whereas a waiver is standard and above board. Makes sense and takes away the convoluted acronyms that serve only to confuse.

This is advice I will take.
Cheers Jim
I just realized that in the post you responded to I inadvertently used "former" when I should have said "latter" and vice-versa. I edited the post to correct the error, but perhaps I should have asked for a deviation first. :tg:

D

daraghofla

I just realized that in the post you responded to I inadvertently used "former" when I should have said "latter" and vice-versa. I edited the post to correct the error, but perhaps I should have asked for a deviation first. :tg:
We'll be up in front of Humpty Dumpty ourselves if we're not careful

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
dgrainger Medical Device News MDR postponed - link to Official Journal of the European Union (24-4-2020) EU Medical Device Regulations 2
D Why does Official Journal list superseded standards? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
M Informational EU – Official position on EUDAMED delay Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
M Informational EU – Corrigenda for MDR and IVDR published in Official Journal Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
P Any official doc/spec on different types of Yield calculation? Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
Q IVD vs EMC OJ (Official Journal of the European Union) Harmonised Standard Conflicts EU Medical Device Regulations 1
QMMike New Trend of not seeking Official ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 33
Q Compliance to EU Official Journal Harmonized Standards (MD/IVD products in EU) EU Medical Device Regulations 7
bio_subbu Official Journal of EU published two new RoHS Exemptions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K May 16 2014 Official Journal of the European Union Publication - 60601-2-33 EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Official EU Unique Device Identifier (UDI) Requirements EU Medical Device Regulations 3
T Official Language in EU required for Medical Device Labeling EU Medical Device Regulations 24
B Official Journal Postings Summaries for Medical Devices EU Medical Device Regulations 16
L Is there an Official Website for Medical Device Registration Information EU Medical Device Regulations 12
M Change Control - How low do you go before making official changes? Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 8
S AS9102 FAI for part number with no official drawing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
Howard Atkins Official TS answers from SMMT- Layout, System Audits, MR and Doc Control IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 9
K Are ISO 9001:2008 and AS9100:2009 going to be the official dates used? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
M Official Languages of the European Community ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
K New AS9101 - The Coordination Draft. Not the Official Release - IAQG9101 standard AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 76
D Official Government Regulatory Body Vigilance Contacts to use for China and for India ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
Manix Who is the Official Publisher of the APQP and Control Plan Manual? APQP and PPAP 2
SteelMaiden It's official, I am a quality geek Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
A Definition Major Non-conformance and Non-conformance - Looking for official definitions Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 15
S EC Official Journal Harmonized Standards - Additional requirements? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
CarolX Star Trek XI will begin filming this fall for Christmas 2008 release - It's official! Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 10
Marc Intel-Macs owners now have an official second OS option - Windows XP After Work and Weekend Discussion Topics 10
S Is official MSA training required person performing calibration? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
Y Is there an official 6S Quality Management System? Is 5S being added to? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 10
M 9K2K Training Method - Acceptable? E-mails as Official Training ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
Sidney Vianna Official ISO Interpretations - A Formal Process for ISO9001 Interpretation Requests ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
T How long until we get 'Official Paper' Certificate? Registrars and Notified Bodies 6
Howard Atkins QS-9000 Interpretations - July 2002 and the Official Announcement of the Death of QS QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 9
E QS 9000 Official Web Site? QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 5
K IPC-610 Section 10.4.2.2 clarification - Distance to be measured Various Other Specifications, Standards, and related Requirements 0
M Off-Label Use - Clarification of FDA Policy US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
T Implant Card - Article 18.1(a) and MDCG 2019-8 clarification EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Need clarification on requirements.... Class i, gmp & 510(k) exempt Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 12
M Informational TGA Consultation: Proposed clarification of the regulatory requirements for medical device systems and procedure packs Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
R ASQ reference material clarification - Spiral bound materials allowed in ASQ Exam? Professional Certifications and Degrees 1
Q ISO 3310 Clarification Help - Aperture sizes for sieves used for particle sorting Other ISO and International Standards and European Regulations 2
S The Severity of a Medical Device Hazard - Risk Analysis Clarification ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 6
M 8.3.2.3 Development of products with embedded software - request for clarification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 1
M FDA News USFDA Draft Guidance – Clarification of Radiation Control Regulations for Manufacturers of Diagnostic X-Ray Equipment Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
T Clarification on MDR - Article 18(d) - Implant Card EU Medical Device Regulations 14
S QS, RS deflection - clarification wanted IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
A ISO 2859 Single Sampling - Clarification regarding the sampling table Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
S Requirements for Interval Measurement test & Frequency Response test clarification IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
S Clarification regarding tests in IEC 60601-2-25 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 1
J Internal Audit clarification - How to perform the audits IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6