Hello,
Does anyone knows where to get a sample procedure to cover
"OHSAS 18001 4.4.6 Operational Control requirements?"

:thanx:
Regards,

Randy

Super Moderator
Re: OHSAS 18001 4.4.6 Operational Control

Very simple...Because Australia has a pretty robust regulatory environment in many ways similar to the US I'll put it out straight

The easiest examples are the documented programs required by your health and safety regulations such as those for hearing protection, eye protection, control of hazardous chemicals in the workplace, confined space entry, driving equipment like forklifts, lock out-tag-out of energized sources, electrical safety and so on.

Marc

Fully vaccinated are you?
Leader
If anyone has an example procedure which can be shared we will all appreciate it. Additions to our library here are always appreciated.

K

kgott

Hello,

Regards,

I dont know anything about this standard or the clause you metion but with operational control I think, and I emphasise I think, it would be referring to the process of risk (or hazard) identificiation, assessment and control. That would mean things like a risk register, risk assessment tool/matrix, JSA, procedures, competency, legislative compliance and records.

As Randy said; make sure you address legislative compliance for the hazrd concerned.

Tip: when writing a procedure or JSA, state the Regualtion number and briefly state what the Regualtion requires, then describe what the organsiation does (or needs to do) to comply with that Regulation.

Add to this by describing how the success of this management process is measured and what data is collected to measure it with.

S

samsung

Hello,

Regards,

According to 4.4.6, Operational Controls are necessary, not a procedure. A documented procedure is only necessary "when it's absence could lead to deviations from the OH&S policy and the objectives".

Having said, you have to implement operational controls in order to manage the risk. Operational controls can range from putting up a simple signage/ Do's & Don't's to re-designing an entire process depending upon the risk involved, organization's OHS policy as well as the applicable legal requirements.

If you have identified the hazards and the risk associated with each of the hazards, the next thing to do is to determine the controls necessary to manage the risk within the acceptable limits. These controls are what 4.4.6 talks about. The best of the sources, as Randy pointed out, are none other than the applicable regulations/ rules/ guidelines/ permits/ licenses/ OEM manuals etc. to find out what controls have to be in place to eliminate/ control/ minimise the risk.

Controls can be specified in procedures, work instructions, job descriptions, purchase orders/ specifications, work permits, induction manuals, job orders, Hazard Risk evaluation sheets etc.

Some common examples of operational controls are:
- Regular maint. of equipment/ infrastructure
- Housekeeping
- Hazard warnings/ signage/ Caution boards
- Speed limits
- Periodic testing and calibration of measuring equipment, if it pertains to OHS management,
- Barriers, Hand rails, guards,
- Emergency stop switches
- Availability and access to MSDS, manuals, work instructions etc.
- Exposure and access control
- Exposure limits
- Personal Protective equipments etc. etc.

The list could even be longer.

Hope this helps.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
If anyone has an example procedure which can be shared we will all appreciate it. Additions to our library here are always appreciated.
It's not mine so I can't attach it, but I can provide a link to the Hydro Tasmania Procedure. Title: Hearing conservation procedure.

It is as Randy said: program controls are generally laid out in policy or procedure, but any procedure can list engineering controls such as the proper position of a guard on a piece of machinery.

D

darkforce

anyone here have the sample of operation control procedure look like ?

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
Here is an example.

Attachments

• Contractor rules summary.pdf
    115.7 KB · Views: 753
S

samsung

In addition, this page also covers a lot of 'Operational Control Procedures' in the form of regulations/ guidelines for safe work practices.

At the left hand pan, general industrial activities and operations are listed. You may select the relevant activities and find the suggested operational controls.

Top Bottom