OHSAS 18001 & ISO 9001 Implementation - help!

R

rocks

Hi,
I have recently joined a Company (in PNG) as the SHEC & QA Adminsitrator. Part of my role will be implementing ISO 18001 and 9001 systems forthe business. I have experiences in developing and implementing these ISO systems in previous companies I have worked with. However my issue here is that this organisation is a Corporate Company (with 37 employees) and governs 7 other business groups.(I have illustrated this in the attachment where XY is the organistion am working for and A, B, C etc are the business groups. Business D is ISO 9001 & AS/NZ 4801 certified.) Company XY is planning towards achieving IS0 Certification for both standards in 2015.

I need guidance from expertise on this situation.
1. Where do I start?
2. I understand the the scope will be Company XY, since main function of Company XY is to govern businesses A, B, C etc, how do these businesses fit into the scope of these ISO certification?

I hope I am making myself clear for your feedbacks.

Thanks

Rocks

Attachments

• Business Structure.JPG
    Business Structure.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 262
K

kgott

Re: ISO 18001 & 9001 Implementation - help!

Hi,
I have recently joined a Company (in PNG) as the SHEC & QA Adminsitrator. Part of my role will be implementing ISO 18001 and 9001 systems forthe business. I have experiences in developing and implementing these ISO systems in previous companies I have worked with. However my issue here is that this organisation is a Corporate Company (with 37 employees) and governs 7 other business groups.(I have illustrated this in the attachment where XY is the organistion am working for and A, B, C etc are the business groups. Business D is ISO 9001 & AS/NZ 4801 certified.) Company XY is planning towards achieving IS0 Certification for both standards in 2015.

I need guidance from expertise on this situation.
1. Where do I start?
2. I understand the the scope will be Company XY, since main function of Company XY is to govern businesses A, B, C etc, how do these businesses fit into the scope of these ISO certification?

I hope I am making myself clear for your feedbacks.

Thanks

Rocks

I'll try to help with the last question first. Knowledge of certification scope is not something I know much about but I think all locations can be certified if they all comply and they are all included in the scope of certification audit. You many also want to consider certification for each site so that a failure in one does not affect the others.

Where to start?

Start with a gap analysis of each standard you need to apply to your busienss. Look in the green Post Attachments List at the top of this page for gap analysis tools that others have posted in the past.

Go through each standard and ask how do we currently meet this requirement, what do we do that meets this requirement.

Some things may need to change (tweek) to meet the requirements of the standard. You should find most things the standard requires is being done anyway but probably not documented.

Develop processes and documents to fill the gaps. Again look in the Post Attachments List above to find documents you use to suit your business.

let the process cycle through a few times and then audit them to ensure the process is being carried out the way the documented way says it should be done. Tip, document the process they way its done in reality building in the requirements of the standards that are not currently being done.

You may like to consider using flow charts for describing 'how xyz gets done.' they are good for this. You might like to consider including a brief 'who does what' to make 'what happens' in each flow chart box.

Where something requires much more explanation you may like to either use another flow chart or a text document, to describe how that part of the process gets done in detail.

Hope this helps

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
To add to Kgott's answer to the "where do I start" question, I personally always start with the 9001 requirements. This will allow you to determine the processes and the sequence & interactions etc.

Once you have the framework of the system in place you can build in the OHS elements. I am not suggesting you ignore 18001 at first but I usually find it easier to get the QMS in place first.

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Leader
Admin
Being corporate can confuse things because of limited responsibility to design and measure performance of production processes, engineering/administrative/personal controls to mitigate safety risks in production etc.

So I was wondering what is the extent of the corporate function's responsibility? Is your site considering a corporate certification that also covers manufacturing sites, or do the manufacturing sites have their own certifications, or are there separate sites at all?

R

rocks

Hi Jennifer,
Corporate is the parent company and does not trade in its own right. Its primary function is to provide management processes and services that create more value for the individual business units and the group as a whole than the individual business unit can do on their own.
The Corporate intends to go for Corporate Certification as well as spearheading Certification for individual Business Units. B/Unit D is already ISO 9001/HACCP Certified
Below is an overview of the business structure
Corporate (Parent Company)
- B/Unit A (Contractual Mining Services)
- B/Unit B (Construction)
- B/Unit C (Drilling Services)
- B/Unit D (Catering & Camp Management)

Colin

Quite Involved in Discussions
I think the simplest solution is to get separate certifications for each unit and 1 for corporate (if necessary). You could save some money by going down the multi-site route but I think it would get messy.

There is no reason why each unit couldn't share parts of the system like internal audit and management review etc but I would go for independent certifications in this case.

Why not invite a couple of CB's in for a chat? let them give their views on the best route.

Last edited:
D

DarrenG

Has anyone got a sample manual integrating ISO 9001 and OHSAS 18001 only. I can get fully integrated for 9001, 18001 and 14001.

Thanks,

D

Top Bottom