Oil/water separators - Difficulty meeting state wastewater standards

B

bknewman

I work at a remanufacturing plant - tier 1 OEM supplier to Ford and Mazda. Preventive maintenance and some environmental issues are QA responsibilities here.
I am having difficulty meeting state standards for oil and grease in wastewater discharge. We use a standard type of separator that is fed by a large sump tank. The reason for the sump tank is that tranny fluid tends to emulsify rather than separate. So we slow the flow of waste by routing drainage through the sump rather than directly to the separator. Does anyone know of a large capacity, in-line, coalescing filter i could plumb into my outflow line? I am normally just slightly out of spec (spec = 100mg/l = 100ppm). I need something to catch that last lttle bit of emulsified transmission fluid.
Thanks,
Bruce Newman

------------------
Bruce Newman
MNAO Remanufacturing

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Randy

Super Moderator
Bruce,

Give me a day or 2 and I'll see what I can locate for you.

We maintain a fleet of over 3,000 army combat vehicles from Humvee's to M1 Tanks, and we have some of the same issues here with fluids.

Remember this...a key element of 14K is prevention of pollution and not pollution prevention...."eliminate it at the source".

Look at your processes. What can you change to reduce the initial amount of fluid going into the water system?

"Continual Improvement" whatever it is that you are doing, can you do it better?

Filtration is fine, but are you creating another waste stream (the contaminated filter media)?

Just some things to ponder ....

I'll try to get back.

Randy Daily

J

Jon Shaver

Good thinking, Randy. Reducing/eliminating at source is the way to go, whether its for ISO14000 or not.
Do I understand your problem correctly, Bruce, that your separator isn't working quite as well as you want? ("slightly out of spec"). If so, then why not just change the spec? Really. Its probably a permit issue. Why does the State say 100 ppm? Why isn't 110 OK?
Jon

[This message has been edited by Jon Shaver (edited 07 March 2000).]

Randy

Super Moderator
1st - Thanks for the kudos Jon...

2nd - The state in question probably has set it's limits based upon the EPA's guidance on pollutant discharge levels....no leeway believe me, it's part of what I do everyday here in California.

3rd - OK Bruce here's what I can offer....If you have no other recourse you are best served in my opinion in chemical treatment of your waste water. There are readily available process's (coagualtes) that will cause the waste fluids to come together for easier removal. Remember though, water is kind of like air when you want to clean it...the 1st 95% of the crud is pretty cheap to remove...the last 5% increases in cost geometrically by each percentage poit thereafter.

You will also be starting a new hazardous waste stream, increasing personnel and maintenance costs, and possibly capitol expenditures for new or upgraded equipment to utilize an improved cleansing process.

Your best and least expensive choice is to reduce the polluting agents at the source.

If cleansing of materials is being done with solvents or soaps ...stop it. Your emusified fluid is starting at that point. Don't let soaps or solvents into your waste stream...don't believe the crap about biologically safe or environmentally sound. When you let solvents or soaps into oil recovery systems..the usefulness of the system is negated at that point.

We use high/low-pressure steam cleaners on all the equipment we maintain for the Army. If you can clean the carbon and crud from an M1 Tank that way....auto parts have got to be easier.

Randy Daily

B

bknewman

You guys have been a tremendous help. I have long recommended doing away with soaps in the wash (ultimately waste) stream. Production guys just can't seem to get past the need for soaps. I did a DOE some years ago that indicated the only important factor in cleanig parts is temperature. I will use your arguements to back my position.
By the way, the 100 ppm is a state (FLA) spec and is not negotiable.
Bruce Newman
QA Supervisor
Mazda North American Operations, Remanufacturing
I welcome further discourse on this subject.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S Penetrant, Type I, Method A - ASTM-E1417 (Content of oil/grease in cleaning water) Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
R Management & Internal Audits (Oil & Water?) Audits as a pass/fail test Internal Auditing 19
GURU SDI Rust preventive oil mixed with kerosene Problem Solving, Root Cause Fault and Failure Analysis 2
Crimpshrine13 Analysis of Cold Forming Lubrication Oil Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 1
S MDS (Material Declaration Sheet) Reporting for Volatile Solvent in oil RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 1
E Lean Manufacturing in Oil & Gas Industry Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
L Oil Field Bearing Production PPM Standard Benchmarking 2
J Back to the Cove - Oil and Gas Industry Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
Johnnymo62 What oil do I use for our Starrett 3814 Hardness Tester? General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
J External Laboratory in ISO/TS 16949 - Maintenance oil samples IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
D Transformer Oil Analysis - Help with a a Duval's Triangle Preventive Action and Continuous Improvement 3
B Oil and Gas Engineering Consultancy Auditing Internal Auditing 3
M Supplier PPAP for Interim Materials - Oil to test functionality of finished product IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
R How to Inspect the Weld Strength of High Pressure Vessel & Oil Pipe Line Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 2
M Identification and Traceability for Oil & Gas Production ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
AnaMariaVR2 Widening Battle: Middle East Cyberattacks Target Oil Producers and U.S. Banks World News 0
M Shelf Life of Mineral Oil USP (put on cutting burrs before shipping) Manufacturing and Related Processes 19
W Customer Satisfaction Surveys in Oil Industry Customer Complaints 8
W Applying ISO 9001 Clause 7.3 in Special Case - Oil Refinery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
D Help with ISO 9001 Implementation in Oil Industry ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
L API Q2 Specification - QMS (Oil & Gas Industry Aftermarket) Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 70
Marc Fresh oil slicks forming over Deepwater Horizon site World News 2
N Customer Waste Management Responsibility - Packing Materials & Conservation Oil? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 4
C Change Control Plan/Procedure for Slickline/Wireline Services (Oil Field) Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 1
A Transocean Execs Get Bonuses after ?Best Year in Safety,? Despite Gulf Oil Disaster. World News 1
T Uncertainty Measurement on Kinematic Viscosity of Fuel Oil General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 1
L Customer Inquiry - Graph showing the expansion of oil (mm) at different temperatures Service Industry Specific Topics 5
T Skip Lot Sampling Plans (SkSP) - Oil for Trans Fatty Acid Content Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 6
T Clause for Maintenance - Periodic Maintenance Activity (Oil change) Internal Auditing 4
L What is OS1634/2004? Customer from OMAN buying Lubricating Oil IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
M Plastics Material Grades - What is 15FV Guard oil? Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
J Oil & Gas industry - ISO 9001 Compliance - Rental Tool Company Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 12
B PSI vs kPa and 35 kPa oil pressure as opposed to 35 kPa air pressure Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
D Regulation on Bioresorbable Oil Residue Level on Medical Device 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
R Method for Dew Point and Oil content - Qualifying our Compressed Air System (CAS) Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 7
S Oil and Gas Audit - What are the basic skills needed for an auditor Internal Auditing 9
K QMS Manual Format and some more help - Oil field company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Fish Oil Capsule Weight MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 9
M Mechanical Maintenance Procedures for Oil & Gas wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
J Adoption of ISO/TS 29001 or API Q1 - Oil Exploration Company Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 3
5 Do you know a portable hydraulic oil analyzer? Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
A Feed Contractor (Oil and Gas) Audit/Technical Performance Appraisal Service Industry Specific Topics 0
W Application of Statistics/ SPC tools in Oil Refineries Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 11
Howard Atkins Agassi, Renault Nissan & Israel announce project for oil-independent country - 2008 World News 2
Marc 10 Great Snake-Oil Gadgets Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
N Fuel Prices Linked to the Oil Market World News 5
N Fuel Prices Link To The Oil Market - The Oil Tree World News 4
Manix Roller coaster ahead for oil prices World News 2
H Lean in Refinery and Oil Field Operations Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 7
C RoHS on Shell Ensis Oil RoHS, REACH, ELV, IMDS and Restricted Substances 7