Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
Some thoughts:

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:04:00 -0500
Subject: Re: Q: On The Job Training Records /Solomon/Scott

Jason,

I have recommended that work area leads/supervisors define what outcomes (the "will be able tos") of the OJT, the best method of training on the job, and what the content should be to really help accomplish the outcomes. Sometimes the help of training development professionals is a wise choice.

Once this has been defined, call the OJT something - "Rolls Knardley 3200 Set-up" - and record who got the training on a form or in a computer file, who trained them, when, and any other pertinent info.

This will help make sure the OJT isn't being used as a cop-out...you know like, "Here you hang out with Bob for week and watch what he does. Ask him questions when you feel like it, and then you can do it by yourself."

Phil

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:06:33 -0500
Subject: Re: Q: On The Job Training Records /Solomon/Paten

Jason,

A simple training "log" can be developed identifying the employee, the OJT to be completed, the planned date of completion, and the individual that will be observing/evaluating OJT progress. Upon completion of the "planned" (required) training, the obsever/evaluator then needs to only sign off on and date the log. If need be a separate "qualification checklist" can be developed and signed off on as the trainee acquires the needed knowledge, skills or abilities. Even though it's a little more work, I like the checklists because they can be used to track OJT progress over time and in different areas - also such checklists are great for documenting initial qualifications of new hires or transferees.

Best of luck.

Mike Paten

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:09:32 -0500
Subject: Re: Q: On The Job Training Records /Solomon/Ahmad

Jason,
One way is to create a training log or a training book. All kinds of training can be logged in here be a certificate course or an on the job training. Create Column with titles like, type of training, date, place etc. Eg..

Type of training could indicate if it is a certificate course or an on the job...if it is on the job, capture the supervisor/ trainer etc..

Siti

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:11:16 -0500
Subject: Re: Q: On The Job Training Records /Solomon/Arbuckle

Create an OJT Record form that contains:
The name of the trainee
The name of the trainer
The contents of the training (in bulleted format)
The date of completion of training
The signature of the trainer (I also suggest the signature of the trainee)
Additional info as required (i.e. limitations, date for re-training, etc.)

Have the trainer create the form at the beginning of the training and complete it at the end, file with other training records.

Donald A Arbuckle

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:29:58 -0500
Subject: Re: On The Job Training Records /Solomon/Staples

At my company, we keep a Job book on each part run. This book contains all the job instructions and inspection instructions, safety instructions..... Each document that requires an operator to be trained on includes a training sheet on the back of the document. When an employee is trained on that document, they sign the form and it becomes our training record.

Patricia

Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 13:31:18 -0500
Subject: Re: Q: On The Job Training Records /Solomon/Kenyon

Jason

Simply issue your own "certificate" for OJT! Use a controlled form that the trainer and trainee sign and date, showing what training was delivered, when and how (helps if the training content is also a controlled document; you'll also need evidence that the trainer is qualified to train!)

Danielle R. Kenyon

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
Q

qsmso

Dear Cove friends,
After doing some search, I found this thread almost close but not exactly all I need to know. Here is my question:

For On Job Training (OJT) issue, we are implementing by training production operators according to all job instructions stated in control plan. Do you think this is enough?
What about some system instruction such as
- NC parts control (written by QC)
- Identification and tag use (written by QC)
- Machine daily maintenance (written by Engineering)
- Document control procedure (written by QE)
- Etc.
I think some production people need to know, but would it be in type of OJT?

We found that there are many of procedures, work instructions or forms that are established by other functions, but my production staffs have to follow. So, things like this should be trained and record as OJT or not?
I ask this question because we got stuck with our long list OJT of each individual since we have about hundreds of controlled document
Best regards,
QSMSO

M

M Greenaway

If people have procedures available do they have to be trained ?

If people are trained do we need procedures ??

M Greenaway said:
A proper balance between the two is needed. Which leads me to one of my favourites:

4.2.1, note 2: The extent of the quality management system documentation can differ from one organization to another due to
a) the size of organization and type of activities,
b) the complexity of processes and their interactions, and
c) the competence of personnel.
c usually comes in quite handy...

Then there's 6.2.2: a, b, c & e: The organization shall
a) determine the necessary competence for personnel performing work affecting product quality,
b) provide training or take other actions to satisfy these needs,
c) evaluate the effectiveness of the actions taken
e) maintain appropriate records of education, training, skills and experience (see 4.2.4).

and finally 7.5.1 a & b: The organization shall plan and carry out production and service provision under controlled conditions. Controlled conditions shall include, as applicable
a) the availability of information that describes the characteristics of the product,
b) the availability of work instructions, as necessary

Nothing wrong with OTJ training as long as its properly carried out and recorded.

/Claes

R

Rockanna

On the Job Training

Documenation of training is always something we struggled with the shop floor supervisors. We created a continuous improvement team to address the issue which included some shop floor supervisors and HR folks.
The solution they came up with was to document training within a electronic file, print the file each year and attach it to the performance review. The Supervisor will review the information with the employee getting their signature. HR will not approve performance reviews without the printed documentation of training attached. It appears to be working as long as HR is the gatekeeper.:rolleyes:

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
M Greenaway said:

JMO, but I see it like this:

EDUCATION + EXPERIENCE + TRAINING + PROCEDURES/WI/etc. = 100% OF WHAT IT TAKES FOR SOMEONE TO EFFECTIVELY PERFORM THEIR WORK

The equation makes it theoretically possible for any one of the variables to equal 100% but in my experience in real-world manufacturing it is very rare not to have some contribution from several or even each variable.

Am I nuts?:bonk:

K

Ken K

EDUCATION + EXPERIENCE + TRAINING + PROCEDURES/WI/etc. = 100% OF WHAT IT TAKES FOR SOMEONE TO EFFECTIVELY PERFORM THEIR WORK

IMO, I don't quite agree Mike.

Education to what extent? Does one really have to be educated before being trained to perform a job function?

Experience to what extent? Shouldn't you be able to pull someone off the street, train them, provide them with procedures or WI and have them effectively perform a job function?

100%? How effectively? What about attitude? Ability? Desire?

Am I nuts?
Compared to who?:D

Mike S.

Happy to be Alive
Trusted Information Resource
Ken K said:

IMO, I don't quite agree Mike.

Education to what extent? Does one really have to be educated before being trained to perform a job function?

Experience to what extent? Shouldn't you be able to pull someone off the street, train them, provide them with procedures or WI and have them effectively perform a job function?

100%? How effectively? What about attitude? Ability? Desire?
Good points, Ken, let me try to explain further.

As I said earlier, the equation makes it theoretically possible for any one of the variables to equal 100% but in my experience in real-world manufacturing it is very rare not to have some contribution from several or even each variable.

As for education, I think it usually applies because most all tasks will require the person to have some formal education that they can/must make use of in performing a task, even if it is only a grade-school education where the person learned to read, write, and do simple math.

Experience is NOT always required, as I said. If the person has experience it requires less of the other variables in my equation.

Admittedly I did not include such intangibles as attitude or desire. As for "ability" I guess I made some assumptions that the person would be considered able to do the job from a capability standpoint (i.e. the person is not physically or mentally handicapped in a way that would prevent their ability to do the job) as a basic qualification.

I was looking at what I consider when taking a typical employee and deciding if he/she already has or has been given the proper tools to do a job. ISO 9001 mentions education, training, skills, and experience. I add to that consideration of what written instructions/procedures exist.

Maybe my equation is not perfect and final, but rather a good first-order approximation???

Another consideration might be how often the job is performed. I have 4 vehicles. Twice a year, I must go about changing clocks (not a very often repeated task).

Vehicle #1 is my motorcycle. It has no clock. Very easy!
Vehicle #2 is an older car that the clock resets to 12:00 every time the key is shut off. I don't bother setting it. Also very easy!
Vehicle #3 is my truck. It has a "H" button for hours and a "M" button for minutes. I don't need a work instruction, or training to figure that out. Mostly easy.
Vehicle #4 is the Jag (Okay, it is really a Saturn). In order to change the clock, you must push this button, turn that knob, step on the brake, grunt......I just can't figure it out! Twice a year, I must go to the work instruction. Training will not help, because I don't perform the job often enough for the training to "stick".

When considering OJT and documentation, don't neglect the "stickiness" of the training. The more the training "sticks" the less documentation you should need.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Is On The Job Training (OJT) Required? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 22
B On The Job Training (OJT) requirements in ISO 9001:2008 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
S Evidence of Effectiveness of OJT (On the Job Training) - ISO 9001 Clause 6.2.2 Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 24
M Contract Personnel On the Job (OJT) Training - TS 16949 Para. 6.2.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
I How can I provide evidence of On-the-job training (OJT)? TS 16949 Para. 6.2.2.3 IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 13
C Controls and Preventions are not "OJT", "Ample Supply" & "Supervisor Verification" FMEA and Control Plans 4
T HR QP Procedures For Training - OJT - In-House Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
L OJT Training Records for Supervisors?? Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
K Looking for a job as Quality Engineer Career and Occupation Discussions 2
J New Job Position - Achieving ISO 13485 Certification ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
XRAY_3121 New Job with Wholesale Distributor Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 0
N Looking to Impress - New Job - Advice, Thoughts, Comments Welcome Career and Occupation Discussions 23
C Refreshing an old and boring topic - Job descriptions and Roles vs Process Documentation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 38
BeaBea Organizational Charts and Job Titles Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 11
M IATF 16949 8.5.1.3 Verification of job set-ups - Do we need secondary check? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 7
B Product Safety Responsibility - Job shop such as a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 10
JAMESH Job Safety - Lockout/Tagout and Respiratory Protocols Manufacturing and Related Processes 3
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 16
S Regulatory job in pharma vs. medical device CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 0
M Do I Expect Too Much of Job Candidates? Career and Occupation Discussions 33
JAMESH Building a "Lean" Job Shop Training Program Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 0
I "On the job training" as a response to how someone was trained? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 75
M Nonconformity for missing form number on the job description document Nonconformance and Corrective Action 1
Sidney Vianna Are the Accreditation Bodies doing their job? Keeping CB's accountable Registrars and Notified Bodies 0
T QMS Template Help - Small machine shop/job shop Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
I ISO 9001:2015 - On the Job Training and Records Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
G Job interview - So I have to do a presentation on PPAP APQP and PPAP 16
F Job Travelers questions - unsigned operations AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 41
Marc Posting Job Openings - Read Me Please - 27 January 2019 Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
K Assigning the Correct Procedures Applicable to Job Titles General Auditing Discussions 15
W Job Card/Router sign off - Want to go paperless AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
S Is management representative a temporary post or a job title Management Review Meetings and related Processes 16
Q Have you ever "excluded" certain job descriptions from the QMS? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
C IATF 16949 Cl 8.5.1.3 - Verification of job set up IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 4
D How do you use statistics in your job Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
Sam Lazzara Notified Body CE Project Manager - Worst job ever? EU Medical Device Regulations 6
D Job Titles referenced in Procedures IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 18
Marc How did you "get" a full-time job? (A 2017 discussion) Career and Occupation Discussions 11
M Apply for a job when no opening is posted? Career and Occupation Discussions 64
M AS9100D excluding Design and Development - Small Job Shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 18
A Splitting Paper Routing Job Worksheets AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
N I updated my Job Description - Critiques Appreciated Career and Occupation Discussions 22
S Job travelers through a machine shop AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
L South of England - experienced Auditor / QMS looking for a new job Career and Occupation Discussions 1
I ISO 17025 Job Descriptions - People who have mutiple roles ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
A Best Method of Auditing an Installation Process at a client job-site ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
H Job Interview Question - Faulty machine Manufacturing and Related Processes 8
M Taking on a job outside of our ISO Scope ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
X Question about Job Documentation Requirements ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 16
H Job Descriptions to comply with ISO Standards ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10