Old QMS... NEW QM.. I don't know where to start

pkost

Trusted Information Resource
I think another thing that needs to be said is that you are concerned about how you appear to more experienced, older staff members and are worried that you will be found out as a fraud who knows nothing

Point 1: you are not a fraud, you have worked your way up to the point you have and your achievements and skill have been recognised. If you weren't capable they would have appointed someone else!
You have received training from LRQA and from what you have posted here it appears that you have a good idea of what needs to be done and that you know your stuff.
Quality systems are not rocket science...you can read the requirements, all you need to be able to do is justify your actions.

Point 2: It appears to me that a lot of the people you are worried about don't have much of a clue about quality.

In my limited and short life in the working world I have generally found the following to be true: the people that doubt themselves and strive to be better are invariably extremely good at what they do. More so than people who breeze in with a bravado to mask their lack of understanding. That being said - a little bravado is sometimes needed otherwise you can be pushed into a corner and ignored.

D

daraghofla

Clean up your original post and issue to the MD. With a view to gravity of the situation, he/she needs to give you a management representative who has the power to drive dept. heads/process owners. You must then use the management rep as a tool to do your bidding.

This is step number 1

W

wny4ever

My thoughts, in no particular order, are:
  1. Create an internal quality council across the group (all companies). Get management support for this.
  2. Define the issues/concerns/problems. Make a plan. Get consensus.
  3. Define the key processes in your business and QMS
  4. Define the PROCESS OWNERS of each of the key processes
  5. Use the PROCESS OWNERS as part of your team.
  6. Make the PROCESS OWNERS accountable for there participation in improving/streamlining/documenting the QMS.
  7. Determine whether management review process is effective.
  8. Don’t forget to use the results/findings from the external audits
  9. Consider “global or group” procedures – start with the written procedures required by ISO 9001
  10. Benchmark best practices. Start internally. Progress to external benchmarking.
  11. Consider use of external consultants.

J

JaneB

Clean up your original post and issue to the MD. With a view to gravity of the situation, he/she needs to give you a management representative who has the power to drive dept. heads/process owners. You must then use the management rep as a tool to do your bidding.

This is step number 1
Some good advice but "use the management rep as a tool to do your bidding"? :nope: No, this isn't how it works.

E

esw81

Hi Chris

I really feel for you!! :(

I have recently joined a company who think what they have is perfect and that there is no scope for improvement, however a few of our main customers are getting quite "hot" on the quality front and have realised who I work for aren't.

The CB we use are not UKAS accredited! My task is to bring the company up to a standard that will still achieive certification with a UKAS accredited CB.

I am gradually managing to re-focus staff - It has helped because we are also implementing BS25999 (Business Continuity). Staff are now more aware of what having a written process that truely represents what they do will not only enable the company to maintain certification to ISO9001 but it will also enable cross training so that in the event they are unable to attend work, their part of the process can still be done to an acceptable level albeit with stricter controls in place.

I have also explained that ISO 9001 aims for repeatability – a necessity in manufacturing. The documentation should detail what must be done but allow flexibility for suitably trained people to work to the best of their ability and take pride in their work. I used "non-believers" in the project team and this has helped to make the documentation a foundation for success.
Talk to your sceptics and explore what they see as the bad side of ISO 9001 and address this.

I hope this helps and that you star to find satisfaction in your job again. :D

chris_gray1980

Involved In Discussions
Hey all

for some reason i never received notifications on updates to my thread, so im sorry i have not said thanks any quicker..

i would like to personally thank everyone who has tried to help and advise me..

i have been doing a lot of thinking and i have come to the conclusion i cannot do this any more.. i am updating my CV and moving on, i want to work for a company who's shows interest in what i do and trying to achieve, my soul has been well and truly destroyed over the past few years and i cant do it any more... i am filling in audits without auditing people because they can never make time for me, when i do, do an audit the procedure is either wrong the the area i am auditing are just doing their own thing and EVERYONE expects me to be the one to sort it out... they say well its up to you to make sure our purchasing procedure is right and up to date, you should be monitoring every think everyone does to make sure they are doing it right (not just an internal audit) and this is for 5 companies and not including the rest of the group..

so to conclude... i have total lack of confidence in my abilities and feel i should not be in this job, i cannot do it and the people around me do not care about the quality system thats what im here for not them so i have had enough.... i want out of here as soon as i can before i have some kind of break down because i am constantly tired, stressed and my head is just a MESS i cannot focus, im thinking about everything all the time day and night... ITS KILLING ME..

I really admire everyone who has posted on here and its great to hear your success stories but im afraid mine wont be one..

Thanks again

Chris

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hey all

for some reason i never received notifications on updates to my thread, so im sorry i have not said thanks any quicker..

i would like to personally thank everyone who has tried to help and advise me..

i have been doing a lot of thinking and i have come to the conclusion i cannot do this any more.. i am updating my CV and moving on, i want to work for a company who's shows interest in what i do and trying to achieve, my soul has been well and truly destroyed over the past few years and i cant do it any more... i am filling in audits without auditing people because they can never make time for me, when i do, do an audit the procedure is either wrong the the area i am auditing are just doing their own thing and EVERYONE expects me to be the one to sort it out... they say well its up to you to make sure our purchasing procedure is right and up to date, you should be monitoring every think everyone does to make sure they are doing it right (not just an internal audit) and this is for 5 companies and not including the rest of the group..

so to conclude... i have total lack of confidence in my abilities and feel i should not be in this job, i cannot do it and the people around me do not care about the quality system thats what im here for not them so i have had enough.... i want out of here as soon as i can before i have some kind of break down because i am constantly tired, stressed and my head is just a MESS i cannot focus, im thinking about everything all the time day and night... ITS KILLING ME..

I really admire everyone who has posted on here and its great to hear your success stories but im afraid mine wont be one..

Thanks again

Chris

Chris,

I wish you the very best for the future.

Good luck,

John

J

JaneB

Chris,
I think yours is a very wise decision.

It IS soul-destroying working in an environment that just doesn't care. And that has all kinds of bad flowon effects on your and your life (not just the work aspect of it) as you're finding.

Believe me, there are better places to work and yes, there very defininitely are organisations out there that DO care and will value someone with passion to improve.

Sometimes, a situation is a lose/lose one: toxic. And when that's the case, much, much, much, much (did I say much?) MUCH better to recognise the futility of attempting to move the unmoveable and Move On to somewhere else. (I speak from bitter experience: made the mistake of staying in one toxic situation for way too long thinking I could change it and me - and yes, I got way too stressed. Never, ever made that mistake again).

I congratulate you on having the wisdom to recognise it's a no win situation, and for having the nouse to care for yourself and look for greener pastures. Beating one's head against a brick wall is NOT a great thing to do and jeepers, it's painful and unproductive.

I've been where you are now. I love where I am now: richly enjoying life and enjoying meeting and working with people with a genuine desire to learn and to improve their business and their systems. Wouldn't swap it for anything.

Oh, I think and believe that it will. Just not at that company. ;)

Top Bottom