Old Time Scatter diagrams for defect type and location- software

IRONPOORER

Starting to get Involved
I work in the cast metals industry. In it we use a lot of hand written worksheets detailing defects on a part. Back in the day, you'd take several pics, copy over an ABC-123 grid over it, print them and pass them out. Inspectors would note with an letter the location and defect type. We still do that, now with wire-frame views, or isometric views to determine locations, filled in on paper, then entered into an excel spreadsheet.
What I would like is some software that I can just take the cursor, hover over the defect area and type a defect code (P=porosity, G= gas, and so on) and have it show the data on a view of the part with grid, then also have it export it to a spreadsheet.

Ideas?

Steve Prevette

Deming Disciple
Leader
Super Moderator
You could set the picture as a "background" in excel, and then have someone type into the cells the defect, such as attached. Then you would just have to determine what cell goes with what location.

My father was a grey iron casting guy.

Attachments

• Defect Log.xlsx
    80.3 KB · Views: 409

IRONPOORER

Starting to get Involved
Thanks. I've done that and it works. Not sure if there's software for what I want, probably not a great market demand I suppose...plus I don't want to spend 20K for it.
Not many people grow up and 'want[' to be Foundry guys, but they have provided me a good living for many years, and I know a whole lot of dads that have put their kids thru college working in a foundry. To me there is something magical about taking 50 tons of scrap steel and iron, tons of silica sand and turning them into precision engine blocks, heads, brake rotors and discs... Plus I rarely if ever do the exact same thing two days in a row.

IRONPOORER

Starting to get Involved
You could set the picture as a "background" in excel, and then have someone type into the cells the defect, such as attached. Then you would just have to determine what cell goes with what location.

My father was a grey iron casting guy.

Amazing as it seems, as I was typing my reply to you I got a call from a guy in Detroit selling the exact software I was looking for...now we'll have to see costs and capabilities. And no, there was no Alexa or Siri turned on LOL

canano

Registered
Amazing as it seems, as I was typing my reply to you I got a call from a guy in Detroit selling the exact software I was looking for...now we'll have to see costs and capabilities. And no, there was no Alexa or Siri turned on LOL
Ironpoorer, can you share the name of the software supplier? I am looking for the same type of feature. thanks

nickr

Registered
Hello canano,
My company provides the ATS Inspect software referenced above. If you would like to learn more, please feel free to contact me at 248 421-9863. You can also email me at my work email [email protected]. I respect the spirit of communication in this forum, so I will leave it up to you to contact me if you would like additional information.

Top Bottom