"On An Annual Basis" - Definition

Wolf.K

Involved In Discussions
Hi folks,

I wonder how to understand "on an annual basis" (or "annually"). In German this is tricky, as it can either mean "once in a year", but also "within 12 month". E.g. 01/2017 to 12/2018 (almost 2 years) are in compliance with "once in a year", but not with "within 12 month". I looked on the web for a definition, but found no answer really satisfying me...

So, if I define "audit frequency" as "annually"/"on an annual basis" - is it within 12 month or within a year (that is, dated 2015, 2016, 2017...)?

:) Wolf

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
My :2cents:

Annual = 12 months = 365 days (except leap year).

If I see "On An Annual Basis", I interpret it to be 12 months maximum (365 days) between each, but can be more frequently.

E.g.: 5 January 2016 to 4 January 2017 = Annually.

and 5 January 2016 to 30 December 2017 would not be in compliance with "On An Annual Basis" because it is more than 365 days.

Jean_B

Trusted Information Resource
I presumed changing from "frequency / amount of occurences in a period (regular frequency being spread out over equidistant intervals)" in the older 13485 editions (since this is in the 13485 section) to "interval / defined range of time" in the 2016 edition was meant to clarify this. But maybe it didn't.

I don't find the "annual basis" text in any of the editions, nor the 19011 (since you're talking about audits).

Wolf.K

Involved In Discussions
Hi,

Sorry for not providing enough information...

ISO 13485:2016 states

"8.2.4 Internal audit

The organization shall conduct internal audits at planned intervals to determine whether the quality management system: (...)"

So, if I write a SOP and include "annually" as the "planned interval", does it mean "every 12 month at the latest", or "once every year, that is, at least once in 2017, 2018, 2019..."?

:) Wolf

Jean_B

Trusted Information Resource
The thing is that neither frequency nor interval have a specific definition under 13485, 9001, 9000 or even their extended glossary.
Definitions resting outside of these are then not only subject to interpretation, but even to relation with the other terminology.

We most commonly think of frequency being composed of occurrences with equal intervals between them, but it is distribution independent in this sense.
In my mind frequency is merely number of occurrences within a specified range (also look up the frequency function in excel to get an idea).

Interval is the space between two points. Defining an interval in my mind then has more to do with distribution between points (most dictionary entries will point to something similar).

How complex you make the interval in the sense of the standard is also a matter of perspective.

You could take for example any of the following:
a) any QMS part will be audited again within a year it was last audited. (Defining the maximum interval), subject to dividing your QMS up into parts, e.g. clauses, as a prerequisite).
If you decided to 'for-cause' audit it ½ a year after your 'regular' audit, you in essence would reset the counter to have the next audit occur no later then 1½ year after the previous 'regular' audit.

b) Regular audit wills occur yearly, with part A being audited in Q1, part B in Q2, etc.
There's always an audit planned for one year after the last regularly planned audit, no matter if amount of covering audits (and thus frequency)went up due to whatever reason.

c) at least one audit will occur each month.
Letting go of parts, you end up with a simplified obligation. This could be risky for ascertaining coverage over the period, or being abused to have 'light' audits count as heavy as full audits for coverage KPI.​

Note that while it does not say documented planned intervals as with the management review, the audit program paragraph "shall" takes care of this. Note also that the audit program does not only require definition, but now also records (unlike the 2012 edition).

So for your terminology:

"Once a year" would be to me: within a year, at least once. Twice a year would for example still be met if it occurred in october and december, no matter if the previous year would have them at january and march. This is because the year defines a calendar period.

"Annually" would be to me a year (12 months, 365 days) from the last occurrence, as annually matches a length of period, but not a specific starting point. Biannually would be: again, half a year from now. (Biennially would be: again, two years from now).
But then this drifts more into dictionary and linguistics then anything else.

tl;dr:
Marc's interpretation is encountered most often and widely accepted. You don't want to have a vocabulary battle with your auditor, you want their help to become or remain as effective as possible. Hogheaven's farm takes the debate out of any of the above, and is the shortcut as a year is not a requirement from the standard (but it might be a requirement from somewhere else).

Candi1024

Quite Involved in Discussions
He didn't offer a definition. But he stated clearly (and with a firm voice that sticks in my head) said that annual is not an interval. And everyone seemed to nod and agree with him, so I figured I was the only one that didn't know, lol!

Definitions seem to be a big part of this newest revision. That, and turning implicit requirements explicit. He said they tried to clarify many of the definitions.

However, it still doesn't help much in this case. :)

hogheavenfarm

Quite Involved in Discussions
This is why we elected to define every term that could be misunderstood in an appendix to our QM. To reference a source - "Interval" is
noun
an intervening period of time:
ie. an interval of 50 years.
a period of temporary cessation; pause:
ie. intervals between the volleys of gunfire.
a space between things, points, limits, etc.; interspace:
ie. an interval of ten feet between posts.

Idioms
at "intervals",

ie. at particular periods of time; now and then:
ie. At intervals, there were formal receptions at the governor's mansion.
ie. at particular places, with gaps in between:
ie. detour signs at intervals along the highway.

None of this defines an interval at anything like a "standard" or "consistent" period of time, in fact, these definitions say just the opposite.

As a smallish company, we all wear many hats, and we schedule internal audits when we can do them. We do not lay out a "plan" in advance, other than that we will try to accomplish all audits on a yearly basis, and the order will be governed by past history and criticality. They may all be done in one week, or they may be spread over the year. And we do not say they WILL all be done, only that we make a yearly completion a goal.
Again, all of this is defined in detail in the appendix, noted as our company's definition of the term.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Z Ford Requirement - Annual Layout - Completely re-validate parts on an annual basis? Customer and Company Specific Requirements 1
T Annual Validation as a detection mode on a PFMEA? FMEA and Control Plans 5
P ISO Class 8 particle count (annual certification vs monitoring) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
E Annual PPAP+ deviation request ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
A Question on ISO 14001:2015 - Are annual audits required? ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
JoCam Increase to bi-annual ISO 13485 audits ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
S Is Annual QMS Training Required? ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Informational Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency Annual Report and Accounts 2018 to 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational TGA – Medical device annual reporting – Sponsor obligations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S. Moore Is an Annual Layout Inspection the same as an Annual Re-validation? Internal Auditing 1
M Informational FDA Invites You to the 2019 Regulatory Education for Industry (REdI) Annual Conference Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
S Post Market Surveillance and Annual Product Review in ISO 13485 ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
qualprod Annual SWOT for 4.1? I plan to revise quality objectives and strategic route ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
qualprod ISO planning annual meeting? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
JoshuaFroud CDRH Annual Report - eSubmitter Other US Medical Device Regulations 0
B Does anyone charge for annual layouts? APQP and PPAP 8
V How to Add Annual Revalidation requirements to Control Plan? FMEA and Control Plans 5
K Is an annual "audit schedule" the same thing as an audit scope/ audit plan? Internal Auditing 8
S What questions to ask in annual supplier evaluation? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
M Annual Layout requirements for PPAP/Control Plan FMEA and Control Plans 6
D FDA Guidance Document for Preparing Annual Product Reviews US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 2
Q FDA - Annual Report Submission Format and QMS updates Other US Medical Device Regulations 2
R Registrar Annual Management Fee Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
F ISO/TS 16949 internal audit scope and annual plan Internal Auditing 2
B Annual Internal Inspector Certification Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 4
S Is an Annual Supplier Evaluation an ISO 9001 requirement? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
D Annual Layouts in Control Plans FMEA and Control Plans 5
T Clause 7.4.1.2 - Evidence of annual assessments for all non-TS Suppliers IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 16
K Bi-Annual ISO 9001 Surveillance Audit Help ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 20
R QMS changes before Annual External Audit Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 8
M Do QC inspectors need an annual eye exam according to API Q1 Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 22
J FDA Annual Product Review (APR) Requirements US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 1
J Annual Reporting requirements to Health Canada Canada Medical Device Regulations 9
J PPAP (Production Part Approval Process) Requirements for Annual Revalidations APQP and PPAP 1
Y Training Plan/Schedule - Can anybody share a format or template for annual training Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 8
SATHYABALARAMAN ISO Systems Annual Report to Top Management example wanted IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 10
V Annual Performance Appraisal - Person vs. Function/Business Career and Occupation Discussions 5
S Annual Stock Check - Where to add it into our Quality Manual? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
5 Missed Annual Business Goals and Objectives IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
B TS16949 Annual PPAP Submission Requirements for Ford and Chrysler Parts IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
K AS9100 Implementation, Registration and Annual Costs to maintain Registration? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
J Annual PPAPs - Keeping Up with Hundreds Of Customers And Hundreds Of Part Numbers APQP and PPAP 12
K Does Australia require any annual registration or license renewal for Medical Devices Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
K Annual License or Registration Requirement for Europe (MDD 93/42 EEC) EU Medical Device Regulations 1
A SOP for performing Annual Product Reviews for Medical Device and Pharma Pharmaceuticals (21 CFR Part 210, 21 CFR Part 211 and related Regulations) 3
D How to Update Annual Quality Objectives Annually? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
I Does TS 16949 clearly require an annual product re-validation? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 17
H Annual Training Requirements (ISO 13485) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 13
Mikilk ETO Sterilization - Annual Report of all Sterilization Validations to send the NB EU Medical Device Regulations 3
K Annual Internal Audit Plan to Audit Everything? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 11