On Auditing Internal Audit Process - How Independence can be Established

romelnar

Registered Visitor
Hi. Good day! I wish to ask for your views on this issue. Here in our country CB auditors are asking from the company being audited the records that they (the company) had audited their internal audit activity.
When I attended Lead Auditor Course for OHSAS 18001 and ISO 14001, I got the chance to have a foreign tutor. When he learned that we do it here, he said it is "fascinating." He pointed out on how independence cannot be established there. He said that it is for the 3rd party audit to confirm the effectiveness of the internal audit. I see his point.
But I think most of CB auditors here points to the statement in the standards which says "all requirements must be audited." How do you see this requirement? Need your inputs, please. Thanks a lot

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
The instructor is incorrect and has not understood that certification isn't a requirement. An effective management system to ISO 9001, will still need an audit of the internal audit arrangements.The CB audit is there to confirm all requirements are implemented and audited.

The auditor is also misunderstanding "independence". The requirement is for objectivity and impartiality.

Randy

Super Moderator
18001 & 14001 do not state nor require independence....they require impartiality and objectivity

Independence isn't about not being involved with something, it's about being free from bias and conflict of interest

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Hi. Good day! I wish to ask for your views on this issue. <snip>
The confusion about the term "independent" may be due to language issues. I agree the instructor was not correct.

Where standards say "Auditors shall not audit their own work" there is no directive to leave out the audit process from system audits. The typical understanding is: if I do audits along with a colleague and I maked the schedule, I can audit his work and he can audit my audits plus the scheduling.

I

immaya08

I agree with AndyN's reply; ISO 19011:2011 identified Independence as one of the Six Important Principles; further the guideline states that: Auditors should be independent of the activity being audited wherever practicable, and should in all
cases act in a manner that is free from bias and conflict of interest. but you cannot fully guarantee independence in small organizations (perhaps even in bigger organizations) due to the relationships (human and processes) that exist within the organisation. and this is not to say, that CB auditors are responsible for auditing the internal audit process as internal auditors ought to do it.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A What are the pros and cons of using an audit software for internal auditing? General Auditing Discussions 4
E Informational Internal Audits - Wear multiple hats what can and can't I audit (so I'm not auditing my own work) Internal Auditing 144
D Auditing Our Outsourced 2nd-3rd Party Internal Audit Company ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
S ISO 9001:2015 - Internal Auditing - Audit to the Standard? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
R Internal Auditor auditing Internal Audit Procedure (AS9100) Internal Auditing 18
L Auditing Design and Development in ISO 9001 (Internal Audit) Internal Auditing 1
R Auditing a process outside the realm of the formal Internal Audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
M Auditing the Internal Audit Process - 8.2.2 General Auditing Discussions 2
J Auditing the Internal Auditing Process - Audit Nonconformance General Auditing Discussions 3
L Internal Auditing - How can I audit my QMS independently? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
K Sample Questions for Auditing Management Rep , Internal Audit and Reg. Compliance Internal Auditing 7
S Auditing the Top Management during the Opening Meeting of Internal Audit Internal Auditing 21
V Internal Quality Audit - Themes for auditing the company QMS Internal Auditing 1
P NC from TS16949 stage 2 audit - Internal Auditing - Auditor did not record evidence General Auditing Discussions 15
C Who is responsible for auditing the Internal Audit system? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 56
W Internal Auditing - Processs Audit vs. Element Audit - ISO 9001 Process Audits and Layered Process Audits 6
A Internal Auditing - AS9100 Followup Audit Requirements Internal Auditing 4
Y How do you Perform Internal Audit on your Internal Auditing System? Internal Auditing 18
A Intercompany auditing - ISO Internal Audit of Sister Companies General Auditing Discussions 5
M Internal Auditing of our APQP Process - Who can audit APQP? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 5
Crusader Internal Auditing to ISO 9001 - How to schedule/plan and perform an ISO audit Internal Auditing 31
T Second Party Internal Auditing - If I go to company to do an audit what do I do? Internal Auditing 4
Marc Sample Size in Auditing - Percentage audited when performing an internal audit Internal Auditing 8
S Risk based internal auditing Internal Auditing 6
F AS9100D Internal auditing requirements Internal Auditing 3
R Does any here use an internal auditing tool that works on different platforms? Internal Auditing 3
W Does anyone have an API Q2 checklist for internal auditing? Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 1
blackholequasar Internal Auditing Inspiration - Getting volunteers to perform internal audits. Internal Auditing 22
W Internal Auditing carried out by a 3rd party - Review of previous audits AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
S Internal Auditing for API Spec Q1 - auditor qualification requirements Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 6
N Online Internal Auditing Course for ISO 13485 - Suggestions ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
U Internal auditing - Company employees or contract second party Internal Auditing 10
K Internal Auditing - Umbrella QMS and Multiple Standards Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 4
G AS9101 Rev F - Worksheets for internal auditing AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 11
S ISO 13485:2016 and MDSAP internal auditing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 6
M Is Automated Internal Auditing Possible? Internal Auditing 13
C Internal Auditing Requirements (ISO 9001:2008) Internal Auditing 3
sswaim Auditing Internal Laboratory Personnel for Competence General Auditing Discussions 4
K Internal Auditing a previous Nonconformance? Internal Auditing 19
P Recommended books on ISO 27001:2013 Implementation and Internal Auditing IEC 27001 - Information Security Management Systems (ISMS) 4
M Are auditing checklists required for Internal Audits? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
B ISO/TS16949 Internal Auditing - How many auditors? Internal Auditing 4
bgoers PFMEA, Internal Auditing, Corrective Action Training In Native Language (China) Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
Gman2 Internal Auditing Requirements before ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
S Auditing TS 16949 Cl. 7.6.3.1 - Internal Calibration Laboratory Requirements IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
T ISO 9001 Internal Auditing Auditor Training in Amsterdam Training - Internal, External, Online and Distance Learning 1
S In an internal auditing desert and I'm the only one here.... AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 15
G Internal Auditing in a Multi-Site Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
B Internal Auditing of MDD and CMDR Requirements Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
O Internal Auditing in small Engineering company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6