"On Time Delivery" Flowdown from Large Corporation

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
Need help in determining how to communicate to large corporation that their Purchase order OTD are not realistic.

This is what I am observing at the "Mom- Pop" Shop.

They receive an order that is was due yesterday, today or tomorrow with minimum communication or concern with the small shop. Furthermore, after they agree on a date - that date is changed constantly without any notification.

The small shops are perplexed as to how to measure OTD because if they use the customer report card they are at 50% - no fault of their own.

So...

I am looking for the most effective way to tell large corp, cutomers and those that provide PO to verify their processes and provide actual realistic OTD from suppliers

How do I do it:bonk:

Do I use OASIS (Online Aerospace Supplier Information System)?
or
Do I use ANAB - and file a complaint?
or
Do I write to the pertinent CB?
or
Can I request a "Special Audit" - under AS9101D?

Looking for effective ways to improve the flow OTD from customer to small shops that can not afford to fight back and let them know that it is not acceptable to issue orders dated yesterday.:frust:

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

Stijloor

Leader
Super Moderator
Need help in determining how to communicate to large corporation that their Purchase order OTD are not realistic.

This is what I am observing at the "Mom- Pop" Shop.

They receive an order that is was due yesterday, today or tomorrow with minimum communication or concern with the small shop. Furthermore, after they agree on a date - that date is changed constantly without any notification.

The small shops are perplexed as to how to measure OTD because if they use the customer report card they are at 50% - no fault of their own.

So...

I am looking for the most effective way to tell large corp, customers and those that provide PO to verify their processes and provide actual realistic OTD from suppliers

How do I do it:bonk:

Do I use OASIS (Online Aerospace Supplier Information System)?
or
Do I use ANAB - and file a complaint?
or
Do I write to the pertinent CB?
or
Can I request a "Special Audit" - under AS9101D?

Looking for effective ways to improve the flow OTD from customer to small shops that can not afford to fight back and let them know that it is not acceptable to issue orders dated yesterday.:frust:
Responses anyone?

Thank you!!

Stijloor.

dsanabria

Quite Involved in Discussions
A registrar did answer me and SHOCK... here is a typical response:bonk:

Sidney - take note and forward this to responsible individuals:

and I quote:

I don't believe that we really have any recourse with the larger customer of our small supplier(s) in these types of scenarios. It is up to the supplier to accept orders based on a review process that determines the needs of the customer and efforts to on their part to ensure that they are met.

Accepting orders with short (or impossible) lead times is not an acceptable practice, however, the organization's Risk Management process should be explored to see what they are doing to mitigate the risk of not delivering on time.

The reality of the situation is that if these smaller shops do not accept the order the way it is written, then the larger customer will go to someone else who will accept it.

This is definitely a very difficult situation.

Perhaps one solution would be to issue a nonconformance (AS9100 rev.B,
7.2.2) to our client and force them to work with their customer to come up with a more reasonable approach to establishing lead times so that our client has a reasonable expectation of hitting the OTD requirements.
Alternatively, they could have the customer provide some sort of agreement (in writing) to amend purchase orders and/or OTD requirements which match the actual practices.

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Leader
Admin
Funny that you report that. I use this example when I teach some classes about the fact that NOT ALL CUSTOMER DISSATISFACTION is reason for suppliers to do corrective actions.

Because I've found myself, more than once, trailing this type of issues: starting with alleged atrocious OTD performance towards, upon investigation, indeed I could see the reason for that was the fact that buyers (at the customer) were playing games, such as issuing PO's with a delivery date of the previous week.

We have to understand that AS9100, the ICOP Scheme and proper auditing will not fix all the malaises of the business world. Customers are not always right, but they will only be the customers.

One could use the feedback loop in the OASIS feedback to warn the customer's CB about their procurement practices. However, there is always a risk if you do that. The customer would always know where the feedback was originated from.

In my experience, customers that play games such as this one, will always attempt to abuse small suppliers. The burden is on such small businesses to "wise up" and get rid of bad customers as soon as they can.

Last edited:
C

Corsair

Agree, it is very common specially on a new program, that the customer is late to flow down the vital information like for example late and or revise CAD models, appovals, etc.
Should be a clause on the PO that mention this kind of situations.
Suppliers need to be on top of this.

:thanx:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Traceability unequal lots/batches delivery production IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
S On-time delivery CRITERIA AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 8
L On Time Delivery - what percentage is the norm? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 28
Q Customer Satisfaction through On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 9
qualprod On Time Delivery KPI for sales? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Informational US FDA Final Guidance – Intravascular Catheters, Wires, and Delivery Systems with Lubricious Coatings – Labeling Considerations Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
DuncanGibbons Why is 8.4 post-delivery activities before 8.6 release of products and services in AS9100D? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
S Medical Device Initial Importer (DII) Requirements - Delivery Address 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 0
AnaMariaVR2 Pharmaceuticals News Transdermal and Topical Delivery Systems: FDA & EMA Guidance US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
D Delivery Schedule Performance - IATF 16949 Cl. 9.1.2.1-d IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
N Where I can find an Excel sample/template for recording Delivery Time and Cost Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
Y What Clinical Data is required for Drug Delivery System EU Medical Device Regulations 1
Pmarszal Delivery Confirmation? Do we need to save? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
B AS9100 Scope of Registration - Post-Delivery Activities N/A? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 9
K What can be considered a "Post Delivery Activity" (ISO 9001:2015 Clause 8.5) ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 18
W Business Procedure/Service Delivery Procedure Design and Development of Products and Processes 8
S Boss wants customer delivery signature specimen form Customer and Company Specific Requirements 16
L OTD (On Time Delivery) Tracking and Reporting Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 13
A Outsourced Processes Control (Finished Medical Device Delivery, Storage) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 10
M Partial Incoming (Receiving) Inspection Delivery Inspection. Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 4
M Calculating Capability of Delivery Performance Capability, Accuracy and Stability - Processes, Machines, etc. 5
E Clinical Evaluation Report for a Delivery System ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
R Service Delivery Quality Tracker Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 2
S ANOVA and Test Method Validation for a Drug Delivery Device Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 4
B Is there a necessity of two sets of KPIs for Delivery Process Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 15
K ISO 9001 vs AS9100 Gap Analysis on Delivery Performance and Document Control AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
K AS9100 Post Delivery Support Template AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
B Corrective Action for Deviation (delay) in the Delivery Schedule Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 10
armani 2 Aspects of Services Design - Design of the Service and Design of Service Delivery Service Industry Specific Topics 2
S How do you Calculate On Time Delivery? Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 17
J Relationship between Quality, Reliability, Price and Delivery Misc. Quality Assurance and Business Systems Related Topics 7
M Understanding AS9100 Clause 7.5.1.4 Post-Delivery Support Requirements AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
T CAR (Corrective Action Request) for On Time Delivery Nonconformance and Corrective Action 9
S Delivery Process Owner(s) in an IT Company ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 6
M Delivery Routing VRP (Vehicle Routing Problem) Problem Service Industry Specific Topics 2
D Route Delivery Efficiency Formula - Miles driven, number of deliveries, and time(hrs) Benchmarking 3
M Supplier Rating Form with Quality, Cost, Delivery wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
Q AS9100B Clause 7.5.1.5 - Where did it go in AS9100C? Servicing/Post Delivery Support AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 1
A Delivery Terminology - When is a product considered "Delivered" AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 7
S On Time Delivery - Non conformance? Root Causes, Corrective Actions ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
E Use of MS Excel for Customer Delivery Tracking Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 6
L Lateness Delivery Notice to Customer ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
Q Shipping Measurements (Measurables) other than On-Time Delivery ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 4
Ajit Basrur Dashboard Software for representing Quality Metrics like DPPM, On Time Delivery, etc. Quality Tools, Improvement and Analysis 4
F Concentrate Delivery System for Hemodialysis - MDD Classification EU Medical Device Regulations 6
H On Time Delivery Report and Tracking spreadsheet template Excel .xls Spreadsheet Templates and Tools 2
D Performance Measurement Data ? Delivery Process Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 2
M Excel sheet for calculating Measurement of Delivery Performance Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 2
S Internal Audit Conundrum - Failure to meet On Time Delivery Quality Manager and Management Related Issues 13
B Do I evaluate my supplier when he doesn't have delivery in that month? Supplier Quality Assurance and other Supplier Issues 10