One false click and the post disappears!!!

R

Rob Nix

#1
Marc,

This is the second time this happened to me, but this time I spent much more time composing my post - FOR NAUGHT!

I was trying to reply to a posters query on the value of a quality policy. I spent a half hour on it. Then I opened the dialog box for additional smilies, to add one at the end of the message. When I closed the box (I may have "mis-clicked") I ended up in another website. When I hit the "back" button, my message was GONE, HISTORY, NEVER TO BE FOUND.

I am seriously depressed.
 

Sidney Vianna

Post Responsibly
Staff member
Admin
#2
My suggestion is, when working on long replies, compose your text in Word or another application. Once you are finished, cut and paste into the reply section of the Cove.

I understand your frustration. :mad:

It has happened to me also, so I took corrective action......
 
Likes: db

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
#3
Rob Nix said:
Marc,

This is the second time this happened to me, but this time I spent much more time composing my post - FOR NAUGHT!

I was trying to reply to a posters query on the value of a quality policy. I spent a half hour on it. Then I opened the dialog box for additional smilies, to add one at the end of the message. When I closed the box (I may have "mis-clicked") I ended up in another website. When I hit the "back" button, my message was GONE, HISTORY, NEVER TO BE FOUND.

I am seriously depressed.
I just tried that and had no problem. I don't know what you clicked on but if you look in the smilie box that comes up there is no link to any other web site. You click on the smilie you want and then there is a Close button at the bottom for the window that popped up with all the smilies.

About a month ago I did do a test using a 20 minute 'refresh' which caused data loss so I took it out after the first complaint. That was because some people would walk away for more than 20 minutes (it's now set to timeout after 30 minutes) and come back and have to log in again or something.

What is interesting is you say you ended up at another web site. I've looked all over the Reply page and there's no link to another web site anywhere on it.

I know myself, I do usually copy and paste long replies into my text editor every 5 minutes or so because I've done stupid things like closing the tab I'm in instead of a different tab or closed by browser 'by mistake' and lost my reply.

I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't think it's a software issue because there would, I expect, be more complaints.
Sidney Vianna said:
It has happened to me also, so I took corrective action......
What were the circumstances? Any details?
---------------------------------------------
Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
 
#4
Disappearing posts

Marc said:
I just tried that and had no problem. I don't know what you clicked on but if you look in the smilie box that comes up there is no link to any other web site. You click on the smilie you want and then there is a Close button at the bottom for the window that popped up with all the smilies.

About a month ago I did do a test using a 20 minute 'refresh' which caused data loss so I took it out after the first complaint. That was because some people would walk away for more than 20 minutes (it's now set to timeout after 30 minutes) and come back and have to log in again or something.

What is interesting is you say you ended up at another web site. I've looked all over the Reply page and there's no link to another web site anywhere on it.

I know myself, I do usually copy and paste long replies into my text editor every 5 minutes or so because I've done stupid things like closing the tab I'm in instead of a different tab or closed by browser 'by mistake' and lost my reply.

I'm not sure what to tell you. I don't think it's a software issue because there would, I expect, be more complaints.

What were the circumstances? Any details?
---------------------------------------------
Is anyone else experiencing this problem?
I've had some similar experiences, but until reading this thread, I put it down to working at the keyboard with boxing gloves on.

I notice that
  1. sometimes, when I click on "reply with quote," the dialog box comes up, I start typing, then look up at the screen to see that none of my typing entered and I start over. Perhaps the cursor didn't go into the box when it opened, because I have to click the mouse to find the cursor on these occasions.
  2. Sometimes, when I click on "Preview," and I am back at the original post which I was replying to and my message has disappeared into the ether.
  3. sometimes, when I click on "submit," the info box (wait while you are directed . . .) doesn't come up and I am back at the original post which I was replying to and my message has disappeared into the ether.
I vary between two different browsers while accessing the Cove and have no idea if the problem occurs in only one or both browsers.

I will try to keep close track and report if I continue to have the "events" occur. There have also been times in the past when I could have sworn I weighed in on a thread, but can't find my post. The problem may be a function of the database (two hits/posts to the database simultaneously and the database takes one but not the other.) More likely, it is "operator error" on my part. I rarely go back and linger over my post once it is submitted, since I do most of my editing during the creation of the post, so I have no idea if the "lost post" was ever actually received into the database.

In regard to Sidney's "workaround" of using an intermediary word processor, I AM VERY COGNIZANT of the "timeout" feature. If I realize I have been working on a post for a period of time or get distracted in the middle of creation, I will
  • right click,
  • select all,
  • copy to clipboard
prior to submitting, just in case I am beyond the timeout limit.

That may be my intent, but I cannot attest I have a perfect sense of time, and could easily go past timeout spans of 30 minutes if I get a phone call or hear the "bing" of an email I have been expecting. As I say, I'll pay attention for the next week or so.
 
R

Rob Nix

#5
Well it ends up a combination of operator error and mystery.

1) When the 'more smilies' dialog box popped up, the "X" to close the box was right next to the "Look Smart" search engine icon on my internet explorer header. I missed and clicked it instead. Then I hit the "back" button - and lo & behold, my message was no longer in the "reply to thread" message box. I tried a sample reply 4 times going to the "Look Smart" URL and back. 3 times my message showed up, 1 time it didn't. :confused: Go figure.

2) Most of the time, if my intention is for a more verbose (or Buceyan*) reply, I do write it out in Word and transfer it. Only for quick ones do I type right in the message box. SOMETIMES, like in this instance, my INTENTION was to be brief, but my right brain got creative and I went too far (probably past the time out).

*just kidding Wes.
 
#6
Rob Nix said:
2) Most of the time, if my intention is for a more verbose (or Buceyan*) reply, I do write it out in Word and transfer it. Only for quick ones do I type right in the message box. SOMETIMES, like in this instance, my INTENTION was to be brief, but my right brain got creative and I went too far (probably past the time out).

*just kidding Wes.
Well, better the kidding than falling into the third category in your signature line, Rob. Don't the celebrities in People magazine worry more about whether they appear at all, rather than what's said about them?
 
#8
ralphsulser said:
"Buceyan" - Hey was was a Buceyan,
Born and raised in Bucyrus, Ohio, :bigwave:
I'm pretty sure my relatives are further east and south, near Zanesville.
There is a family town in France (Bucey.) It's really tiny.
 

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
#9
OK - If anyone does see anything consistent let me know. I did do a search of the vBulletin site and came up with nothing.

'Out of the box', timeout is set at 15 minutes. I set it to 20 and then 30 to try to compensate for people who get called away and such but I really can't spread it out farther because that is part of the stats workings and several functions.
 

Top Bottom