One site of multi-site company closing - Quality transfer issues

Aaria

Involved In Discussions
Hello,

In a start-up company set-up, with corporate quality in US and a component mfring/some R&D function at a site in EU - what are the points to consider for quality transfer? The site is closing and we are trying to put together all the cross-functional projects and systems to be transferred in a transition plan. What is the first thing as a quality manager I should be looking at? What is the standard industry practice for closing an mfring site?

Note: The product has a CE mark but is not on the market.

Thanks,
Aaria

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

normzone

Trusted Information Resource
Re: Site closing - quality transfer issues

You didn't mention the nature of the product line.

My experience is limited in these matters, but I did witness an FDA audit once of a very simple product. All would have been good, except that in the transfer of ownership from the origin source to the new owner, no design records were included. This made things very entertaining (for me as an observer-for-hire)

I would rather have everything I could lay my hands on, pertinent or not, than have to explain later why I could not provide something so basic.

BoardGuy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Re: Site closing - quality transfer issues

When making the transfer you should assure the following:

• Detailed task based plan with milestones for the transfer
  • Transfer risks are identified, assessed and mitigation plan developed
  • Last Article inspections are performed at existing source/location
  • First Article inspections are performed at new source/location
  • Appropriate procedures, work instructions and specifications etc. are transferred and placed under control of new source/location
  • Appropriate records are transferred and place under control by new source/location
  • Training of company personnel is performed at the new source/location by existing source/location.

Aaria

Involved In Discussions
@normzone - thank you for your reply. The product we are dealing with is Class II medical device. Our DHR is electronic but indeed we need to make sure we have all the pertinent knowledge transfer. We are also moving lab equipment and component manufacturing from that site. What are quality systems aspect of these tasks that I should be looking at?

Aaria

Involved In Discussions
@boardguy: Thank you very much for prompt response and insight into activities. I have some follow-up questions, mainly on the scope of transfer risk/mitigation plan.

@transfer risks: What kind of risks we need to be looking at mainly from Quality Systems perspective?

@questions: What about calibration activities of the lab/manufacturing equipment that we will be moving? For component manufacturing equipment, is it ok if we only do IQ/OQ and no process validation?

@Training of company personnel is performed at the new source/location by existing source/location. - Training on process and procedures? For equipment operation training, should the training be conducted on the new site or the old one?

Thanks a lot for your help.

BoardGuy

Quite Involved in Discussions
Since you have indicated this is a medical device you should be using your organizations risk assessment procedure but they would be more than just quality system and it should address customer and Regulatory requirements.

At this point the other items are based on what International Standard your quality system is based on and what are the regulatory body requirements but IQ, OQ, PQ are relevant along with whatever training is needed to produce conforming product to applicable requirements.

Last edited:

Miner

Forum Moderator
Staff member
Admin
The biggest issues that I have encountered during product transfers have been:
  • Internal drawings do not match the actual product. New location builds to drawings and product does not work.
  • Undocumented knowledge of the old site manufacturing operators does not get transferred to the new location. New site cannot make it like the old even though it might meet requirements.

Michael_M

Trusted Information Resource
You say this is for Medical so I do not know if this applies, in the Aerospace industry, if a product changes manufacturing facilities a new formal First Article (per AS9102) is required.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Sites to List on Multi-Site Certifications Registrars and Notified Bodies 1
M Inputs on definition of very similar processes for multi site audit sample - IAF MD1 2018 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
B Multi-site certification (IAF MD1) - for 9001, 14001, OHSAS/45001 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 16
F Business expanding - Campus vs Multi Site Certification Structure AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 4
G Integrated ISO EHSQ Multi-Site Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
M Multi-Site Umbrella Certification Transition Plan ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
L Corporate Manual - Global Multi-Site ISO9001:2015 Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
O Transitioning Locations into a Multi Site ISO 9001 Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 1
G Multi Site EMS and QMS Management System Implementation ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 7
T Single or Multi site Internal Audits - Any difference in how to carry out? Internal Auditing 2
G Internal Auditing in a Multi-Site Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 17
A Multi-Site Certification to ISO 9001, 14001 and OHSAS 18001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 10
R Mix Multi-Site/Individual Certification - Has this ever happened to anyone? Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 14
K Multi site Clinical Investigation For CE Mark Application - Class IIa Device (UK) CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3
bio_subbu TGA Issues new guidelines on Multi-Site Manufacturing Licenses Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 2
N Single Site or Multi-Site Certification ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 12
I Multi-site shipping - Shipping Level 2 example needed Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 4
U Internal Audit Schedule for Multi-site certificate? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
pbojsen Multi-site, multi-language documentation Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Audit Schedule for Multi Site Certification General Auditing Discussions 33
S Need to change multi-site TS 16949 certification to add another company Registrars and Notified Bodies 4
Govind Sharing key Audit learning across multi-site operations General Auditing Discussions 12
B ISO14001 - Company Wide Procedures - Multi-national & Multi-site Miscellaneous Environmental Standards and EMS Related Discussions 7
L ISO 9001:2000 Management Review for multi-site division - Is it possible? Management Review Meetings and related Processes 3
B Deployment of an "ISO9000-ready" QMS - Multi-facility site ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
M Corporate/Multi-site Registrations QS-9000 - American Automotive Manufacturers Standard 1
Marc Virtual Office and Multi-Site Registration: Including the FedEx Registration ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 21
D Limited Scope for second site Question? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 5
D Certifcate of Free Sale Listing Physical Site from Belgium Competant Authority EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Address of Legal Manufacturing Site in ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M ISO 13485 extended Site (Two companies) ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 2
C New to Site - Request Help with API Q2 Implementation Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 10
Z US Manufacturing Site Closing, device manufactured elsewhere Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
L Manufacturing site expansion - When to notify your NB EU Medical Device Regulations 3
N Can a (class I) medical device be manufactured in a GMP certified site with no ISO13485? EU Medical Device Regulations 18
M IATF 16949 (6.1.1 - Planning and Risk Analysis for a remote site) Process Maps, Process Mapping and Turtle Diagrams 5
J Remote location vs. site extension IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 3
A What if Contract Manufacturers does not have an ISO 13485 certificate? Where will the NB audit take place, at legal mfg. site or contract mfg. site? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 3
Casana IATF 16949 7.1.5.3.2 External Laboratory - On Site Calibration IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 8
Q IATF rule for single site - Ingots from scrap metal recycling company IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
O Medical Device Technical File Confidentiality - On site reviews EU Medical Device Regulations 14
M Quality Manual for 2nd site Quality Management System (QMS) Manuals 3
S Sterilization Site Move - Dec 2018 FDA Guidance Document 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
G Timing allowed by IATF to close a Remote Site Minor Nonconformance IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2
S Legal Manufacturer FDA Reporting Obligations for Using New Contract Sterilization Site Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
A A purpose of a Stage 1 audit - Off site document review Registrars and Notified Bodies 3
M FDA News USFDA Final Guidance – Manufacturing Site Change Supplements: Content and Submission Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
Ajit Basrur FDA News FDA Guidance Document: Manufacturing Site Change Supplement US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
S ISO 17025 Requirements for Mobile On-site Calibration ISO 17025 related Discussions 2
A Adding Remote Site to Current IATF 16949 Certification IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 2