Online Customer Survey - Opinions/feedback on the survey I have created

C

chergh - 2008

Recently the company I am employed by decided to carry out customer surveys and I would like some opinions/feedback on the survey I have created.

The survey itself is to be conducted online as I believe this would have a better response than if we required the customer to complete a paper copy and post it back to us.

The questions have been plagarised to an extent from posts found on the forums here, in particular from examples of "good" customer surveys posted by someone who's name I forget.

This particular survey is focused on our customer services helpdesk. Our eventual aim is to have these surveys for each customer facing department with each survey being customised for that department.

Links to the survey will be included in the signature line of our staff emails and the survey itself will be continually ongoing thing.

After the initial page asking for name etc. there are 2 pages of question asking the survey receipient to rank 5 items along a scale. The 2nd page of questions will result in comment boxes when the customer indicates dissatisfaction for any of the items to be rated.

My aim for the survey is to get customer perception data and use this to help plan improvements in our processes and to be able to go back to customers and say "based on your comments we have done this".

The survey can be found here (link removed at request of cheregh) and I would appreciate any feedback you feel able to offer. Feel free to complete the survey multiple times as all data will be purged before going live.

I should also warn you that you may find the colour scheme offensive.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

RoxaneB

Change Agent and Data Storyteller
Super Moderator
Re: Customer Survey - Opinions Please

I didn't find the colours offensive. Few comments though:
  • Instead of saying "problems", try something a little softer (unless you admit you have problems) like "...unable to provide direct feedback on feedback or questions you may have."
  • What is "personal service"? Especially as in my opinion this is a combo of the other 4 items on this page.
  • People don't usually like doing surveys...we really don't like being forced to answer the questions. If they want to skip them, they should have that ability.
  • "Promptness in responding to the question" - how does this differ from the similar question regarding promptness in responding to emails, etc.?
  • The questions just seem to repeat (dance even) around the same subject matter but with different words.
  • I prefer 2 open feedback boxes at the end. One for "Questions/Issues/Concerns" and one for "What can we do to serve you better?"
  • I like the idea of a comments box for dis-satisfied, but where was it? Was that the box at the end or was one supposed to appear beside my question? If the latter, I didn't see it. However, just a thought, a comments box should be available no matter what the response is...don't you want to hear good stuff too? :)
  • How about some questions regarding customer satisfaction on the resolution to any issues they have had with your products/services?
  • N/A option?

C

chergh - 2008

Re: Customer Survey - Opinions Please

Thanks for the feedback so far:

RCBeyette>

Like any other company we do have "problems" but well pointed out and I shall be rewording it.

The first set of 5 questions to be rated are intended to be a general set of questions to be used across all customer facing departments (sales, integraction, customer services etc.) There is certainly duplication in the customer services survey that I will sort but I anticipate that these items will not be duplicated in surveys for other departments.

I feel that forcing the customers to answer the two set of 5 questions is necessary to some extent, and all they have to do is click the radio button, but the further questions that are comments boxes are optional.

The comment boxes for dissatisfied responses works as follows:

Comment boxes are only generated for the second page of 5 questions to be rated. The boxes do not appear on the same page but on the subsequent page. If you mark 0 items with dissatisfied responses you will only see 1 comment box on the subsequent page, if 1 item is mark as dissatisifed you will see 2 comments boxes and so on upto a maximum of 6 comment boxes on the following page. The comment boxes have specific questions depending on which items were marked as dissatisfied.

I like the idea of the box for "Questions/Issues/Concerns" and may add it but I am also conscious of not wanting to have to many questions.

Regarding customer satisfaction for the resolution of their issues excellent idea and I will definitley be adding that one, also a little annoyed I didnt think of it for myself.

We do like to hear the good stuff and have a mail box jammed full of it so for that reason I didn't really give much thought to including it in this survey.

Coury>

That was the first article I read when given this task and while I don't agree with all of the article it certainly should be considered essential reading for anyone setting up a survey.

Thanks for the feedback so far and keep it coming please. :)

BradM

Leader
Admin
Just a couple of thoughts.

Not sure if they reliability/validity of this questionnaire has been assessed. If so, BE CAREFUL about what questions you remove and add. Also, review the reliability/validity of the survey.

I am just like the next person, and would like short surveys. Survey should be long enough to cover the subject, but short enough to be interesting. And that is hard to do.

On a good questionnaire the same question may be asked several different ways. That is to increase the value of your constructs. People read things differently. For example, I noticed the OP is from UK. Phraseology that is specific and objective in San Francisco, may not be in awesome town, UK.
You may need four questions to measure how people feel about response time. The more questions towards a particular construct, the better the measurement. Too, you can see what questions are bad compared to the other responses and remove it in future surveys. The more perceptive the the nature of the item to be measured, the more questions you will need.

As a previous poster suggested, pay particular attention to wording. While you don't want to use words that will easily incite emotion (unless that is what you are wanting to measure), you do want to use specific wording where it is clear.

If you think writing a survey is easy, go back and look at some of the threads in the Cove. The best written, well-intentioned statements are many times misunderstood. I have misunderstood statements, and I would figure I have been misunderstood.

C

C Emmons

I agree with everyone regarding answering lenghty surveys - we designed ours on our website so that One question is presented everytime someone logs on - (think of an opinion poll question like you would see if you were reading an online newspaper....

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
Why most customer surveys are a waste of time: The responses aren't useful unless there are a lot of similar responses to individual questions, and if that's the case, the company doing the survey should already be aware of the problem. For example, if a lot of people respond that they're kept on hold for too long, why don't you already know this? Why do you have to ask customers, when it's already too late? Why not ask the people who are putting customers on hold?

The fact is that customer surveys are useful, in general, for identifying systemic problems, and if you have to ask customers in order to find out that you have systemic problems, there's a much bigger problem that the surveys aren't going to help. In fact, the case could be made that the perceived need for surveys is compelling evidence that management is oblivious to what's going on in their own buildings.

CarolX

Trusted Information Resource
The survey can be found here and I would appreciate any feedback you feel able to offer. Feel free to complete the survey multiple times as all data will be purged before going live.

Hi chergh,

I agree with what Roxanne and Brad have said.

As a rule - I hate surveys. I think they are useless - but they are used all the time! But the one you have developed is short and sweet - and I do like that.

D

DsqrdDGD909

I like that it was quick.

I actually think that surveys do have some usefulness. Management seems to pay more/better attention to them than internal voices.

I would change the font - seemed mighty small.

Overall a good job.:agree1:

S

skappesser

I would include some open ended questions at the end like:
• Do you have any problems with our products/services that you haven't told us about?
• Is there anything you think we do particularly well?
• What could we do in the future that would make your job easier?

Top Bottom