Search the Elsmar Cove!
**Search ALL of Elsmar.com** with DuckDuckGo including content not in the forum - Search results with No ads.

Online Monitoring of SPC Data and Charts in Real Time

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jackiechan

Dear all,

Is there any easy method to monitor SPC in real time. Operator on the machine measures the sample every hour and at the same time i get the readings on my monitor in my office. So that i can monitor the process in real time. this should be possible to monitor all the machines in the company.
Some kind of excel spreadsheet with macro which will register the values operator measures and i get graphic preview of the process

G

Geoff Withnell

Dear all,

Is there any easy method to monitor SPC in real time. Operator on the machine measures the sample every hour and at the same time i get the readings on my monitor in my office. So that i can monitor the process in real time. this should be possible to monitor all the machines in the company.
Some kind of excel spreadsheet with macro which will register the values operator measures and i get graphic preview of the process
I am not sure this is a good idea in any case. Why do you need real time monitoring of the process? The OPERATOR needs real time monitoring of the process. If you are looking over the operator's shoulder all the time, this is not going to improve either his/her morale or or ownership in the process. Are you going to second guess operators on when to make adjustments?

Geoff Withnell

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jackiechan

Real time monitoring will help me keep an eye on the process and make right decisions and the right time.

Bruser

Starting to get Involved
I am not sure this is a good idea in any case. Why do you need real time monitoring of the process? The OPERATOR needs real time monitoring of the process. If you are looking over the operator's shoulder all the time, this is not going to improve either his/her morale or or ownership in the process. Are you going to second guess operators on when to make adjustments?

Geoff Withnell
I agree, the desire is to have the operator responsible for the output of their process. The operator should be bringing attention to issues of out of control conditions, etc.:cool:

S

sixsigmais

Use minitab is the easiest way. However, some of the company (like mine) are not invest this kind of cause, then general the software by using microsoft excel

J

Jackiechan

Thats what i am looking for... some sort of excel sheet with macro.
Have you got any idea about it?

Bev D

Heretical Statistician
Staff member
Super Moderator
if you want "real time online" SPC and your company doesn't have a strong software infrastructure, have the operator use a paper chart. You can always have the operators call you when an out of control condition occurs and you can regularly walk out to the production floor to review the charts and chat with the operators: there is NO substitute for being there! You will not solve problems or control processes simply by sitting at your desk reviewing charts.

If you want to have the data in electronic form and/or your operators are not proficient at math and plotting dots on grid paper, I would recommend EXCEL as the best simplest and cheapest start. Simply create the chart with existing data, calculate and SET your control limits. Then have the operators enter the new data as it is acquired. You can create a small macro (you really should learn how to do this - lots of resources on the web) that will insert the required rows/cells for each new data entry and adjust the chart plottting area.

Minitab and JMP will do this although setting the control limits and getting the chart routinely updated with new data is far more complex than with EXCEL, plus most of us have EXCEL while the cost for JMP/Minitab can get pricey for many licenses. It will also not look or feel friendly to the operator for data entry without some sophisticated coding. I would recommend starting simple so you can concentrate on understanding and controlling your processes first, and worry about more sophisticated software later when you have a better idea of your true needs...

Last edited by a moderator:
J

Jackiechan

Dear Bev D, :bonk:

No need to tell me the basic things:mad:
We are way ahead of what you just wrote in your post.... we use excel spreadsheet at the initial stage to calculate the control borders and then we use automated data registration system ( which i cannot disclose due to company standards) to register every sample measurement.........

:sarcasm:

Jen Kirley

Quality and Auditing Expert
Staff member
Admin
Dear Bev D, :bonk:

No need to tell me the basic things:mad:
We are way ahead of what you just wrote in your post.... we use excel spreadsheet at the initial stage to calculate the control borders and then we use automated data registration system ( which i cannot disclose due to company standards) to register every sample measurement.........

:sarcasm:
Hello Jackichan,

We can get as complex as you like, but Bev's advice went beyond "use excel with macros." My interpretation of your question was that it not only involved what software to use, but the best way to provide supervision using SPC. It appears Bev interpreted your question the same way.

Maybe if you provided more precise detail about your question we can understand your needs better. An alternative would be to peruse the attachments I have located for you by clicking on the green Post Attachments Button in the header and searching using key word "spc."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom