Only manufacturing, non applicable - ISO 9001 Clause 8.3

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
Hello everyone

Just want to be sure my assumption, hope you can help me.
In a work shop, fabricating mechanical components, mechanical valves, carbon steel bins, vessels, flanges assemblies,etc.

We receive the detailed drawings from the clients, drawings including Bill of materials, specifications, recommendations
standards to follow (e.g. ASME code).
Based on those drawings our people fabricate parts required, but we don´t design anything, don´t develop calculations.
Maybe into our activities, we may draw, some sketches to be of help in the activities of fabrication or when we fabricate vessels,we receive from the client the basic drawings (general dimensions of vessel, thickness, material, diameter, height) in this special case we develop detailed drawings in which we define in detail the quantity of sheet steel is needed, also some details of the welding to flanges or manholes, but the same, since all the dimensions of fabrication are included in drawings, so, no calculations.

Could I declare non applicability of 8.3?

What it happens, since 8.3 is Design and development.

If not applicable design, will apply in some way Development?

Additionally, is it possible to declare 8.3 partially? only design or only development?

Please shed some light on me

Thanks

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

try2makeit

Quite Involved in Discussions
You are not design responsible. You are manufacturing the Part as per specifications to your Customer print.
Anything additional that you are defining is part of the design of manufacturing process ( i.e Bill of Material, inspection instructions, welding etc.)

You cannot or I should say I never heard of anyone partially be design responsible. Either you are or not.

Randy

Super Moderator
Based on what you say you're not designing anything, you're clarifying previous design within the prescribed parameters of the client/customer and not doing anything to change the functionality or performance they require.

Pjservan

Involved In Discussions
You can take exception to the requirements of 8.3 ensure you clearly stipulate why these requirements do not apply to you- as you stated, all the manufacturing is done based on customer defined requirements.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
qualprod,

Take a look at your website. Does it offer manufacturing services?

If so you’ll need to make sure your service(s) is well designed and subject to design change control.

In the old days many organizations excluded their service design process from their scope statement and this was widely accepted by registrars.

These days, though, service design is increasingly recognized as one of the manufacturer’s most valuable processes.

Best wishes,

John

Randy

Super Moderator
qualprod,

If so you’ll need to make sure your service(s) is well designed and subject to design change control.

In the old days many organizations excluded their service design process from their scope statement and this was widely accepted by registrars.

These days, though, service design is increasingly recognized as one of the manufacturer’s most valuable processes.

Best wishes,

John
I've never been told that I'm wrong over all the years I've applied just the way you put it on any report I've written.

qualprod

Trusted Information Resource
qualprod,

Best wishes,

John
Thanks to all
John , I don't provide services, just manufacturing according to specifications.
What could apply to services? May be the support which is included in the manufacturing? (Eg.
Support in doubts? On line services, delivery?Other point , If design is non applicable, what about development? What is considered in development? If development is applicable, Is it worth it to declare it, but not design?
thanks

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Development in your case may equate to design change control. The design of your manufacturing services may have evolved without too much conscious effort but are nonetheless designed and customers would notice changes.

Many manufacturers complain when everything they make is bought on price rather than value. I listen politely and then ask if they have sold and managed the value of their excellent services that precede, surround and follow-up on their products.

Taken for granted - service, if it’s just like your competitors’ service will count for nothing as a differentiator, but services that address the unfulfilled needs of your customers (or their customers) are greatly valued.

It may also be that your colleagues have got more pressing issues with your products than to spend too much time teasing out the significance of your services and managing them well for the long term health of your company.

In making visible your company’s management system you could (now or later) include your valued services but exclude these from certification until your colleagues are confident about their planning, design, development, delivery and improvement.

From what the OP described, they do not "design" anything. It's more appropriate to discuss planning than design. I believe this is a confusion and, to clarify this situation, I'd suggest that QualProd look at what the contractual agreement with the customer says. Are they being asked to deliver a process (in specs, layout, process flow, machinery etc) or simply make to print? I rather doubt that they're being contracted to design anything. When anyone speaks of design of "services", we have to a) look at what was ordered and b) what is delivered.

John Broomfield

Staff member
Super Moderator
Services rarely appear in the contracts for products.

But service specifications could be designed (or planned) and sold to fulfill customer needs.

Even then it may be a while before these specs find their way into contracts which are mainly for products.

All contract manufacturers I know advertise their manufacturing services.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
J Guidance on manufacturing non-surgical face masks US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3
C MSA for Non Manufacturing - Design Validation, Characterization and Qualification Lab Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 3
N PFMEA for Non-Manufacturing Processes such as audits, direct procurement, etc. FMEA and Control Plans 5
A Product Realization Requirements in a Non-Manufacturing Environment ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 3
Chennaiite Control Chart for Non-Manufacturing Process Indicators - Is it worth? Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
S Critical to manufacturing but not product function - Non-conformance or Not? Nonconformance and Corrective Action 12
A From Quality Assurance to Quality Control and Manufacturing to Non-manufacturing Career and Occupation Discussions 17
Q A Non-Quality Culture at a medical device manufacturing company Career and Occupation Discussions 13
A OEE for Food Manufacturing - Non Dairy creamer manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
J Examples and help for non-manufacturing control plans FMEA and Control Plans 7
H Is ISO 9001 registration worth the cost in a non-manufacturing organization Philosophy, Gurus, Innovation and Evolution 21
K One CE Mark holder - multiple manufacturing sites EU Medical Device Regulations 3
M Indian Medical Device Rules --Manufacturing and Whole sale Lic. Required ? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
R Manufacturing plants relocation - Medical Device Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 7
R Medical Device - Change manufacturing plant Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
P New Global HQ Suggestions for Virtual manufacturing/own brand labelling of medical devices? EU Medical Device Regulations 0
S Manufacturing Execution Systems Software Costs Manufacturing and Related Processes 0
P Managing How PPAP Requirements are Communicated in the Manufacturing Process and to Suppliers APQP and PPAP 5
J Control Plan use on the manufacturing floor FMEA and Control Plans 4
S PSW - Requirements for "off-the shelf" component that has multiply manufacturing locations Off the Shelf Item Manufacturing and Related Processes 1
DuncanGibbons Additive Manufacturing Processes Thread Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
S Can assembly manufacturing sub-supplier be certified IATF 16949? IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
A ISO 14971 PFMEA Manufacturing Risk ISO 14971 - Medical Device Risk Management 2
L Manufacturing Process Audit Help IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 6
H Line Balancing in Backpack Manufacturing Manufacturing and Related Processes 2
DuncanGibbons Resources for aiding in procedure, work instruction and manufacturing plan development and management AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 0
L SAE AS9145 vs. SAE AS6500 (Manufacturing Management Program) AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
Watchcat Best Regulatory Oversight for Off-Shore Device Manufacturing? Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 1
DuncanGibbons Manufacturing Plan vs Material Specification vs Control Plan Manufacturing and Related Processes 5
qualprod Automation in manufacturing - Print Shop ISO 9001 ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 13
N Address of Legal Manufacturing Site in ISO 13485 certificates? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 1
M Description of the requirements of clause 9.2.2.3 manufacturing process audit- needs your feedback IATF 16949 - Automotive Quality Systems Standard 0
M Operational (free) simulation games for manufacturing and quality Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 5
V Manufacturing requirements for respiratory ventilators - clean room required? Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 6
P Manufacturing equipment (e.g.: Dental Welder): medical device or not? US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 5
S Contagious Diseases in Medical Device Manufacturing ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
C Manufacturing overages & nonconforming material documentation ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 3
Z US Manufacturing Site Closing, device manufactured elsewhere Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1
L Manufacturing site expansion - When to notify your NB EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Q Legal Manufacturing Address Change – multiple registrations at same address 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
N China - Start manufacturing before change approval? China Medical Device Regulations 1
J Manufacturing procedure / work instruction depth ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 12
F AS9100D, raw material standards are a requirement for manufacturing? AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 5
C Looking for China Good manufacturing practice China Medical Device Regulations 1
Watchcat Does 820.30 include the manufacturing process? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 2
Watchcat Does ISO 13485 7.3 include the manufacturing process? ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 14
C Design Control - Ways of capturing inputs from manufacturing Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
A Medical Device Contract Manufacturing Requirements and Information - Help wanted ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 5
K Differences between Manufacturing Process Audit & Layered Process Audit Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 4
U Manufacturing solutions and keeping records on quality Content CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 3