Opening meeting for Third-Party Audit--Who should say what?

Hello Everyone,

please share with me how you manage opening meeting of external audit in your company (system audit like 9001, IATF ect). Pls specify what exactly you used to say as a proxy or quality manager, before external auditors start their speech ? I always find it difficult how much should I lead this meeting if they normally introduce themselves and provide all information about audit like scope, aim and cetera. please share with me with details how it looks like in your company.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hello Everyone,

please share with me how you manage opening meeting of external audit in your company (system audit like 9001, IATF ect). Pls specify what exactly you used to say as a proxy or quality manager, before external auditors start their speech ? I always find it difficult how much should I lead this meeting if they normally introduce themselves and provide all information about audit like scope, aim and cetera. please share with me with details how it looks like in your company.
You will have assisted the lead auditor in preparing her or his audit plan and you will have reviewed this plan with your colleagues to make sure they understand the objective of the audit and are ready to take part in showing how effective the system is in helping them to do good work.

Reserve the meeting room (opening and closing at least) and or facilities for the remotely conducted parts of the audit.

As the audit guide you will have briefed your deputy in case you are called away and ask for the names of people able to stand in for process owners as and if necessary.

Distribute the Agenda from the lead auditor and distribute it to your colleagues if they are involved in the audit.

Make it clear that the organization will do all it can to fulfill the audit objective and then handover to the lead auditor.

After the audit let everyone know how it went: celebrate every useful report of a costly nonconformity.

My 2¢.

John

You will have assisted the lead auditor in preparing her or his audit plan and you will have reviewed this plan with your colleagues to make sure they understand the objective of the audit and are ready to take part in showing how effective the system is in helping them to do good work.

Reserve the meeting room (opening and closing at least) and or facilities for the remotely conducted parts of the audit.

As the audit guide you will have briefed your deputy in case you are called away and ask for the names of people able to stand in for process owners as and if necessary.

Distribute the Agenda from the lead auditor and distribute it to your colleagues if they are involved in the audit.

Make it clear that the organization will do all it can to fulfill the audit objective and then handover to the lead auditor.

After the audit let everyone know how it went: celebrate every useful report of a costly nonconformity.

My 2¢.

John
Hello John,

thank you for your reply and usefull tips. I meant more about details saying during opening meeting from company side to external auditors. Who should start the speech , how, using what words and cetera.

Tidge

Trusted Information Resource
No matter the circumstances of the external audit, I believe it is very important to have everyone (and anyone) who might converse with a third-party auditor to have a unified set of instructions and approach to answering their asked questions, and not having "conversation" with the auditors. Some common elements:
  • Ask auditors to repeat questions (if necessary), and repeat the question back to the auditor to make sure the scope of the question is understood.
  • If an answer is not immediately known, or there is the possibility of different answers, bluntly inform the auditor that you can't answer precisely without referring to the record, just as you would do during the course of business.
Opening meetings should have a single person delivering a rehearsed/practiced/canned introduction. I recommend not having too many internal folks in the room, as it is likely that business cards will be exchanged and anyone present in the room during an opening meeting could get called into the audit, by name.

Tagin

Trusted Information Resource
Hello Everyone,

Very little. The opening meeting is too late to be making extended statements.

If you have something instructive, informative, helpful for your people to hear about the audit, it should have been done days or a week prior to the audit, in audit preparatory/refresher meetings or huddles.

Jim Wynne

Leader
Admin
The opening meeting is typically directed by the auditor(s). The organization's people, beyond welcoming the audit team, should speak when spoken to, or when something is said that isn't clear. If there is some unusual approach by the organization in fulfilling requirements, it should be discussed. As an example, after a few years of experience, I stopped controlling most forms, with a reasonable rationale for doing so, and I would routinely discuss this with new auditors.

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Elena,

I was trying to advise that as auditee the audit is not your show.

Just make sure the lead auditor has all he or she needs to fulfill the agreed audit objective.

John

QuinnM

Involved In Discussions
Hi Elena,
We provide a presentation to auditors during the opening meeting. We have found auditors often do not understand our business. We explain how we are structured, operate, and identify any known areas that require additional explanation. The presentation is short, but helps align our business with the auditor.
Best Quinn

John Broomfield

Leader
Super Moderator
Hi Elena,
We provide a presentation to auditors during the opening meeting. We have found auditors often do not understand our business. We explain how we are structured, operate, and identify any known areas that require additional explanation. The presentation is short, but helps align our business with the auditor.
Best Quinn
This info looks like essential input to planning the audit and should have been elicited by the lead auditor way before the opening meeting.

After your presentation how often is the audit plan then changed?

QuinnM

Involved In Discussions
Hi John,
We have found auditors ask similar questions about how we are structured. The intent is to provide an explanation of our structure. I can't speak how prepared an auditor is, I can only say that the presentation provides an explanation into our business practices. We save challenging the auditor during the audit, and at the closing meeting.
Best Quinn

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
G Opening meeting - internal audit ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 11
S Template of Opening Meeting for Internal Audits Internal Auditing 7
Q Tips on how to conduct a good Internal Audit Opening Meeting Internal Auditing 19
S Auditing the Top Management during the Opening Meeting of Internal Audit Internal Auditing 21
P Should the audit objectives be discussed in the opening meeting? General Auditing Discussions 15
ScottK Opening for Manager, Supplier Quality Engineering on my team- Orangeburg, NY - On-site Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
Sam.F Job opening for an inspector in city of El Monte CA Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
C Period After Opening (PAO) US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 0
T Few threads are not opening Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 5
Sidney Vianna Job Opening in the USA - IATF 16949 Lead Auditor Position Job Openings, Consulting and Employment Opportunities 0
L Top opening of enclsoure against fire in IEC 60601-1 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
E Responsibilities opening new markets outside EU Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Quality checklist for opening a second location Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 5
Marc Problem Opening Attachments Elsmar Cove Forum Suggestions, Complaints, Problems and Bug Reports 4
M Apply for a job when no opening is posted? Career and Occupation Discussions 64
R Opening pressure of one-way valve in anaesthetic workstation IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 2
shimonv Re-Sterilizing a Device which requires Re-Opening and Repair EU Medical Device Regulations 3
Marc Opening certain Boeing Supplier Documents Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 10
N Symbol for Medical Device Sterile Packaging - "Inspect Seal Before Opening" Other Medical Device Related Standards 5
L What typical items do auditors bring to Opening Meetings Internal Auditing 4
Jim Wynne Baseball Opening Day--A Sure Sign Of Spring Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 3
S Opening Up Tolerances - We have over 6000 live drawings - help please Design and Development of Products and Processes 6
BradM 29th Olympics in China - Beyond the opening Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 82
Ajit Basrur China kicks off 29th Olympics Opening Ceremony Coffee Break and Water Cooler Discussions 38
W Opening Small Shop in Mexico - Does ISO Still Apply? ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
J Quality Department Job Opening - High Point, North Carolina Career and Occupation Discussions 0
Q Quality Job Opening at Toyota Career and Occupation Discussions 1
A Does anyone conduct opening & closing meetings for their internal audits? Internal Auditing 19
C Opening a new Calibration Laboratory - Need help General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 8
L Opening Design Limits to Accomodate Process Capability Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 5
Justanobody PAD printing and meeting regulatory requirements Manufacturing and Related Processes 10
B Experience Sharing Meeting General Auditing Discussions 1
PQ Systems Preparing for Your Quality Meeting Using SQCpack Software 0
C Uncertainty budgets and meeting 4:1 TUR for digital calipers and micrometer Measurement Uncertainty (MU) 0
T Quality auditor legal right to see Board meeting minutes ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 15
M Nice and simple invitation email to an audit kickoff meeting Internal Auditing 1
F Closing a finding before closing meeting General Auditing Discussions 19
C Warehousing two separate components to a finished device while meeting regulations Other US Medical Device Regulations 7
V Quality review Meeting with Customer for complaints we received Customer Complaints 6
S Has anybody done IMS - Management Review Meeting ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 8
C Does a CE mark infer meeting all applicable standards? CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 4
T Management review meeting workflow ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 9
M Informational EU – Minutes of the 24 July 2019 SCHEER Working Group on safety of breast implants in relation to anaplastic large cell lymphoma (BIA-ALCL) meeting Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational EU – Meeting minutes – Competent Authorities on Substances of Human Origin Expert Group Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
J Any diverging opinions regarding audit findings or conclusions must be resolved no later than the closing meeting ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 13
M Informational EU – 12th Meeting of the Working Group on Guidelines on benefit – risk assessment of Phthalates in Medical Devices Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
M Informational Next meeting of the Medical Device Coordination Group (MDR/IVDR) – 20 June 2019 Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 2
M Informational 2019 Meeting Materials of the General and Plastic Surgery Devices Panel Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
R Major nonformance finding was given during a closing meeting of a ISO9001 certification audit General Auditing Discussions 76
M Informational EU – SCHEER – Minutes of the Working Group meeting on guidelines on the benefit-risk assessment of the presence of phthalates in certain medical devic Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 1