Opening the Tosebo forum to the public

E

energy

That Chow Hall Smell

Marc said:
No. It's just a place to chat and I want to make sure none of the posters objects. Some folks do prefer some privacy - which is why I want to make sure no one objects. To me it's not a big issue. I just thought that some other may like to read about Tosebo and have been looking at how the forums are structured. I'm also considering some additional topics in the forums.
I read them all and it reminded me of simpler days at Boy Scout Camp. Archery, Canoes, Row Boats, Swimming Contests Merit Badge Classes and that unforgettable "Tent Life." Definitely prepared me for Military life. The eating place had its own aroma. Just like the Navy Chow Halls. A cross between garbage and good stuff to eat. A hint of bleach in the air as someone tried to clean it up! ;) We had camp rivalries that seemed to be of the utmost importance, then. Go for it. I'm sure there are other types of young people's clubs and activities that will come to mind. :thanx:

S

Strong Bow

I can't think of anything I seen in "our" Tosebo forum that I wouldn't be happy to share with anyone who wanted to read about a bunch of boys learning something about the outdoors and themselves. As I have search for former campers in the last year I am amazed how much of a similar impact Tosebo had on all of us, no matter what the year or how many years. Sharing is good and certainly in the middle of all you ISO, QS, APQP, 123, XYZ, challenges, this might be a welcome diversion. (They do all that stuff at my work, but I stay away)

Dave Wallace ('60-'67)
and about to own 25% of the place your reading about - CAMP TOSEBO

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
I really have to get back up by there this spring or summer. I'd like to see the place after all these years. I'd like to figure out the route my parents took when they drove me up and go that way. No expressways as we know them today. I remember it was a long drive from Cincinnati. Nothing like the 3 day drives to Sanibel back in the 1950's, but a good day. I did that drive a couple of years ago. I took all the roads we took in the 1950's all the way from Cincinnati to Sanibel. it was a nice experience. And it only took 2 days!

One of the things I really like that has come out of all this is the pictures on my server here at home. Surprised the heck out of me that someone scanned a group photo of the year I was there.

G

GeorgeH

Marc, This probably isn't the place for this comment, but our family appreciated TOSEBO for it's unstructured, and "trusting" ways. Several of us have commented on how current liability practices would eliminate most of the things we enjoyed at the camp. As I remember it, there was lots of time to "do as we pleased," but also forced some activity in areas we may not have chosen on our own. As mentioned above, it introduced me to communal living, large scale food service, and possibly even personal hygiene - great training for both college and the army! And I agree with you - be able to take out a small sailboat, ALONE, in a life threatening situation, at 10 years old, developed a lot of confidence. And I learned practical skills, used many times since, that seem to be missing in many modern youth.

My big surprise from this exercise, is both re-acquainting with childhood friends, and discovering how influencial the experience was! Look how many campers we've found in just a year!

Marc

Captain Nice
Staff member
Admin
Yes. Think of what it would have been like when we were at Tosebo had computers and the WWW existed!

Ah, liability. A two edged sword. I have often said, somewhat less eloquently, that if I did today what I did as a youth I'd probably be in jail. Now days, Fist fight = assault. Firecrackers? Ohhhh. Skinned knee = lawsuit. Someone yell at you? Verbal assault.

Yes - I hear the ringing in my ears of my father's "When I was young...". Now it's me...

On another note, it has taught me a lot more about my father, now long gone, and helped me understand him.

Top Bottom