Operating Range & Measurement System Discrimination:How to select parts for R&R test?

B

BHarder

Measurement System Discrimination

When setting up to do Gage R&R Avg. and range method the MSA manual states "the sample parts must be taken from the process and represent its entire operating range". Does this mean the part tolerance or the the variation shown in your process? This can be quite different and greatly affect your results in regards to data catagories and discrimination.
At our plant we do small production runs that have good CPK's (1.33 to 2.0). In the past the process was altered to produce parts that spread across the tolerance zone. These parts were used to do the R&R studies. They even went so far as to take scrap parts and include them in the samples. I feel this skews your results and makes you think that your gage discriminates good, when actually it may be unacceptable for analyzing your process. I would think you would want to pull your sample parts from your process without influencing it. You would use linearity studies to (see page 18 of MSA) to insure gage works adequately across tolerance range.

Elsmar Forum Sponsor
D
To "represent the gages entire operating range, in my opinion means to use measurements during the study which cover the entire range of the gage. Example: A 0-1" micrometer's operating range is 0-1". Measurements need to be taken at different places in between. If you are only taking measurements from .100 - .200 you are not using the full range of the gage. Any comments?

Marc

Hunkered Down for the Duration
Staff member
Admin
It says to take parts which represent the entire operating range? Yes - this is typical for calibrating any measurement device. However, if you look at page 45 under Conducting The Study (average and range method), line item 1, it says: "...that represents the actual or expected range of process variation..." From this we know they are not interested in the range of the gage, but rather they are interested in the range of the process variation. It is, in my experience, correct to take samples to represent being just outside of the tolerance at each end as well.

I see no reason in statistics why the parts taken at the tails (out of tolerance) would skew the results. But - I'm not the expert, either.

Comments from others?

NOTE: If we look at the previous method (range method), it says that method is not convertable to R&R, so I'm assuming you are talking about the average and range method.

B

Bharder

In an GR&R (AVG & Range method) you are evaluating the gages in its regards to a specific process, so the sample parts should
be represent the entire range of this process, not the gage's full operating range.
This is evaluated in the calibration and linearity tests.
My concern is if you manipulate a process with a high Cpk value to get parts across the whole tolerance zone. When you evaluate your studies for the capability to discriminate, it may look good (high number of avg. outside control limits) which would say it discriminates well for product acceptance. But it may not have adequate discrimination for process analysis (because your control limits should stay the same but your part-to-part variation would be smaller). This may also have the same type of affect on your % varition because it widens part variation in your sample. It would be virtually the same as comparing to the tolerance instead of process varition for your percentages.
If you have a process with .010" tolerance
range and a process varition of .005" I would want to take my sample from the normal process (which should represent the .005" range). That way if my gage passes evaluation on the designated statistical properties, I know it would be acceptable for product acceptance and product analysis because it passed against the smaller of the two ranges.
If I have concerns about it operating differently at the .010" area, my linearity studies should answer this. Anyone have any feedback?

Originally posted by BHarder:
"the sample parts must be taken from the process and represent its entire operating range":
Let's assume the R&R is for Micrometers:
1. Select your samples that have been produced from a standard process run.
2. If your process can produce parts that would utilize micrometers of different sizes (1", 2", 3"), ensure you perform an R&R with each type of micrometer.
3. Prior to each of these R&R studies, ensure the operators verify the micrometer (ensuring that the entire range is checked).

Hopefully this is helpful

[This message has been edited by Marc Smith (edited 26 April 2000).]

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B AMS 2750 Furnace Instrument Calibration Operating Range AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 3
V Operating Range & Calibration for Analytical Balance General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 3
B In a Linearity Study covering the operating range is it necessary to do Bias Study? Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 6
Sean Kelley Operating Range - Definition for Gage R&R Study - Micrometers measuring thickness Gage R&R (GR&R) and MSA (Measurement Systems Analysis) 15
Marc M&TE Temp. Operating Range vs. Specifications General Measurement Device and Calibration Topics 0
Anonymous16-2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Numbering Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
R Scientific Operating Procedures For Sterilization Practices in India PSA/2012/1 Other Medical Device Regulations World-Wide 0
Y Labeling difference for storage and operating conditions EU Medical Device Regulations 1
K Primary Operating Functions (POF) in IEC 62366-1:2015. IEC 62366 - Medical Device Usability Engineering 7
M Informational From RAPS – Operating System Vulnerabilities in Many Medical Devices, Germany’s BfArM and Device Firms Warn Medical Device and FDA Regulations and Standards News 0
I Lifetime Support Calculation - Thermal Operating Profile Reliability Analysis - Predictions, Testing and Standards 7
atitheya Notified bodies operating in India for medical devices made in India CE Marking (Conformité Européene) / CB Scheme 1
M Oxygen enriched environment applicability - Operating table used in general surgeries in hospital IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 0
A Operating criteria for production processes - ISO 14001 Cl. 8.1 ISO 14001:2015 Specific Discussions 3
K Operating characteristic (OC) curve S chart Statistical Analysis Tools, Techniques and SPC 1
A Definition Difference between Quality System Procedure and Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) Definitions, Acronyms, Abbreviations and Interpretations Listed Alphabetically 4
S Language of procedures when operating in multiple countries ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 4
V Delete Restrictions to be enabled AT BOTH Operating System & Application Levels Qualification and Validation (including 21 CFR Part 11) 1
T Screen Supports for Use in an Operating Room and IEC 60601 IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 3
K Standard Operating Procedure Development and Management Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Clinical evaluation standard operating procedure / SOP for medical devices Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
S Medical Device Clinical Evaluation Standard Operating Procedure / SOP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 11
S Medical Device Clinical Evaluation Standard Operating Procedure / SOP Imported Legacy Blogs 1
S Medical Device Reporting SOP (Standard operating procedure) example Other Medical Device and Orthopedic Related Topics 1
P How to draw an OC Curve (operating characteristic curve) Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 1
F Operating Procedures for API Q1 9th Edition Oil and Gas Industry Standards and Regulations 2
K Can we consider Operating System as OTS (Off The Shelf) Software? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 3
Y Versioning of Forms associated with an SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
Q Control of Standard Operating Manuals used as Reference AS9100, IAQG, NADCAP and Aerospace related Standards and Requirements 2
M Preventive Maintenance & Operating Procedures for Measurement Equipment Inspection, Prints (Drawings), Testing, Sampling and Related Topics 20
N Writing our Standard Operating Procedures for Dietary Supplement Co - Examples wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 7
B Hospital Operating Room Regulations - Separate Entrances for Clean and Dirty Supplies Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 4
A Standard Operating Procedures for CT Scan Department and SNCU wanted Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 3
D Windows CE Operating System - Implantable Blood Pump and a Software Accessory Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 8
S Dates That Require to Stated in Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) & Definitions Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 1
M Lean SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for Pharmaceutical Distribution Company Lean in Manufacturing and Service Industries 8
V Standard Operating Procedures - Advice and example wanted Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
R Can maximum ambient operating temperature be specified higher than 40C? IEC 60601 - Medical Electrical Equipment Safety Standards Series 5
T Weight Load Testing Methods for Surgical Operating Tables ISO 13485:2016 - Medical Device Quality Management Systems 8
M List of Policies for an Operating Theatre Hospitals, Clinics & other Health Care Providers 1
H SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) for Form and Document Approvals ISO 9000, ISO 9001, and ISO 9004 Quality Management Systems Standards 8
N Is Fire Safety Testing Required for Operating Room Pads? 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 1
S Special 510k Operating System for Data Management Software Design Documents IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 5
S Traditional 510k Filing SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 4
E Quality Manual and Standard Operating Procedures - File attached Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 15
glork98 Operating System Verification - Class B (II) Medical Device IEC 62304 - Medical Device Software Life Cycle Processes 7
J Complaint SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) 21 CFR Part 820 - US FDA Quality System Regulations (QSR) 10
L IT - Software Development SOPs (Standard Operating Procedures) Software Quality Assurance 3
C SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) on how to create an SOP Document Control Systems, Procedures, Forms and Templates 6
AnaMariaVR2 SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) Controls under FDA Regulations US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) 3